[ANN] hoe 1.0.4 released

Ryan Davis

Hoe
http://rubyforge.org/projects/seattlerb/
http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/hoe/
(e-mail address removed)

Hoe is a simple rake/rubygems helper for project Rakefiles. It
generates all the usual tasks for projects including rdoc generation,
testing, packaging, and deployment.

Tasks Provided:

* audit - Run ZenTest against the package
* clean - Clean up all the extras
* debug_gem - Show information about the gem
* default - Run the default tasks
* docs - Build the docs HTML Files
* install - Install the package. Uses PREFIX and RUBYLIB
* multi - Run the test suite using multiruby
* package - Build all the packages
* publish_docs - Publish RDoc to RubyForge
* release - Package and upload the release to RubyForge
* test - Run the test suite. Use FILTER to add to the command
line.
* uninstall - Uninstall the package.
* upload - Upload RDoc to RubyForge

See class rdoc for help. Hint: ri Hoe

== CHANGES:

= 1.0.4 2006-09-23

* Damnit... I messed up. There is no rubygems gem to be dependent
upon. Duh.

= 1.0.3 2006-09-23

* Added debug_gem rule.
* Added lots of doco.
* Added proper deps to hoe for other's gems, and rake/rubyforge/
rubygems for hoe.
* Added ridocs to generate ri locally for testing.
* Added support for multiple authors.
* Fixed include paths.
* Rdoc now includes any top level .txt files.
* Renamed deploy to release.
* Renamed upload to publish_docs.
* publish_docs is now smart about subprojects and missing
subdirectories.

Devin Mullins

Ryan said:
* Damnit... I messed up. There is no rubygems gem to be dependent upon.
Err... there's 'sources'... not sure if that helps... If you're talking
about gem dependencies though... heh. :)

Devin

Bil Kleb

Ryan said:
See class rdoc for help. Hint: ri Hoe

Can someone please expand the "Hint"? -- I'm an
impatient bonehead;

$ sudo gem update
Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of hoe
Attempting remote installation of 'hoe'
Successfully installed hoe-1.0.4
Installing RDoc documentation for hoe-1.0.4...
Gems: [hoe] updated

$ ri Hoe
Nothing known about Hoe

$ ri hoe
Nothing known about hoe

So I just

$ gem_server

and pointed my browser at http://localhost:8808

Thanks,

Ryan Davis

Ryan said:
See class rdoc for help. Hint: ri Hoe

Can someone please expand the "Hint"? -- I'm an
impatient bonehead;

$ sudo gem update
Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of hoe
Attempting remote installation of 'hoe'
Successfully installed hoe-1.0.4
Installing RDoc documentation for hoe-1.0.4...
Gems: [hoe] updated

$ ri Hoe
Nothing known about Hoe

$ ri hoe
Nothing known about hoe

It could be one of two things. Either you don't have the right
version of ri/rdoc (1.8.5 has built in rubygem ri support) or rdoc/ri
wasn't generated for some unknown reason.

% gem -v
0.9.0
% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2006-03-04) [i686-darwin8.6.2]
% gem list hoe

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

hoe (1.0.4)
Hoe is a way to write Rakefiles much easier and cleaner.
% ri Hoe | head -2
------------------------------------------------------------- Class: Hoe
hoe - a tool to help rake

For the latter: sudo gem rdoc Hoe

If you aren't in a position to upgrade ruby/gems at this point in
time, you're stuck with gem_server or going to http://
seattlerb.rubyforge.org/hoe/

Joel VanderWerf

Ryan said:
Ryan said:
[...]

Same (or similar) problem here, but with all gems, not just Hoe:

$ gem install Hoe
Need to update 2 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
..
complete
Successfully installed hoe-1.0.4
Installing ri documentation for hoe-1.0.4...
Installing RDoc documentation for hoe-1.0.4...
$ ri Hoe
Nothing known about Hoe
$ gem -v
0.9.0
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-linux]
$ gem list Hoe

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

hoe (1.0.4)
Hoe is a way to write Rakefiles much easier and cleaner.

BUT: in my case _none_ of my installed gems are found by ri, even though
their docs are all in the usual place, /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc.

Passing the path explicitly doesn't seem to help either:

$ ri -d /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc Hoe
Nothing known about Hoe
$ ri -d /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 Hoe
Nothing known about Hoe
$ ri -d /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems Hoe
Nothing known about Hoe

Joel VanderWerf

Ryan said:
$ gem -v
0.9.0
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-linux]

As I said, you need ruby 1.8.5.

Ok, `ri Hoe` succeeds with 1.8.5. I was holding off on 1.8.5 because it
broke some other things grumble grumble....

Bil Kleb

Joel said:
Ok, `ri Hoe` succeeds with 1.8.5. I was holding off on 1.8.5 because it
broke some other things grumble grumble....

Get ZenTest's multiruby!

sudo gem install zentest

Later,

Joel VanderWerf

Bil said:
Get ZenTest's multiruby!

sudo gem install zentest

Good advice, but actually, 1.8.5 didn't break my code but rather FXRuby.
It's a bug in 1.8.5, as I understand. The bug is reported, but I don't
know the status. Maybe it is fixed in snapshots. I am still considering
1.8.4 as the latest stable...