[ANN] iCalendar package 0.9

Discussion in 'Python' started by Max M, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Max M

    Max M Guest

    I have written a package that can parse and generate files according to
    RFC 2445 (iCalender). That should be any file ending with .ics :)

    It is not quite polished yet, but fully functional, and choke full of
    doctest.

    It does support the full spec and all datatypes and parameter values.

    The Api is pretty stable, and will probably not change much.

    I would like anybody interrested to give it a test drive before I finish
    it off and make it a 1.0.

    http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/ical/

    Any feedback would be welcome.

    --

    hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

    http://www.mxm.dk/
    IT's Mad Science

    Max M, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Max M

    Roger Binns Guest

    "Max M" <> wrote in message news:41ebd292$0$253$...
    > http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/ical/
    >
    > Any feedback would be welcome.

    How well do you cope with the crud that real programs generate? Does it work
    with the different dialects uses out there? Can it at least identify them?

    The reason why I ask is this would be useful for BitPim. When I wrote the
    code for doing vCards, I soon found that there wasn't actually a single
    program out there on Windows, Linux or Mac that actually generated 100%
    standards conformant vCards. They generally complied with the spirit,
    but screwed up character encoding, misspelled fields names, didn't do
    the right thing when commas and semi-colons were present in values etc.
    I assume the thing happens with ical.

    Roger

    Roger Binns, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Max M

    Max M Guest

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > "Max M" <> wrote in message news:41ebd292$0$253$...
    >
    >>http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/ical/
    >>
    >>Any feedback would be welcome.

    > How well do you cope with the crud that real programs generate? Does it work
    > with the different dialects uses out there? Can it at least identify them?

    It depends on how badly the data is screwed up. But generally it should
    be able to work on incorrect implementations.

    It doesn't care of the spelling of property and parameter names. Though
    type conversions will need to be done slightly more manual.

    If something like 'dtstart' is misspelled it will not return a datetime

    >>> cal.decoded('datestart')

    But if you know that it is misspelled you can get it, and convert it
    manually like:

    >>> from PropertyValues import vDDDType
    >>> vDDDType.from_ical(cal['datestart'])

    Max M, Jan 18, 2005