    Ice is free software, available with full source, and released under the
    terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).

    For more information, please visit http://www.zeroc.com.

    Marc Laukien, Oct 27, 2006

  2. * Marc Laukien () wrote:
    > The Internet Communications Engine (Ice) is a modern, object-oriented
    > distributed computing platform. We have just released a preview version
    > of Ice for Ruby, which allows Ruby applications to interact seamlessly
    > with Ice applications written in C++, Java, C#, Visual Basic, and Python.
    >
    > Ice is free software, available with full source, and released under the
    > terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
    >
    > For more information, please visit http://www.zeroc.com.

    This rocks. I've been kind of waiting for this a while now. :)

    I'd love to try this out right now, but I'm short on time. Don't let
    the lack of replies discourage you.

    Keep up the good work.

    Regards,

    Emiel van de Laar

    Emiel van de Laar, Oct 29, 2006

  3. On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Marc Laukien wrote:
    > The Internet Communications Engine (Ice) is a modern, object-oriented
    > distributed computing platform. We have just released a preview version of
    > Ice for Ruby, which allows Ruby applications to interact seamlessly with Ice
    > applications written in C++, Java, C#, Visual Basic, and Python.

    This sounds really neat - alas, I have one question about it - according
    to the documentation, it only supports client-side development in Ruby:

    Are there any plans for server side support for Ruby as well?

    Benedikt

    Benedikt Heinen, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Marc Laukien

    Guest

    Re: Ice for Ruby Preview Release

    Benedikt Heinen wrote:
    > This sounds really neat - alas, I have one question about it - according
    > to the documentation, it only supports client-side development in Ruby:

    > Are there any plans for server side support for Ruby as well?

    We have no plans for it at this time. Ice for Ruby is implemented as a
    thin integration layer on top of Ice for C++, and as a result the
    server side would rely heavily on native threads. If Ruby supported
    native threads, even to the extent that Python does, we most likely
    would have included server-side support. However, the customer that
    sponsored the Ice for Ruby project only needed client-side bindings,
    so we didn't spend much time exploring ways to address the threading
    limitations.

    If Ruby does introduce native threading at some point in the future,
    it's likely that we would implement the server-side bindings.

    Take care,
    - Mark

    , Oct 30, 2006
  5. Re: Ice for Ruby Preview Release

    Sweeeet. I've been meaning to check out ICE for a long, long time. This
    is as good a time as any. :)

    Kevin Williams, Oct 30, 2006
  6. Marc Laukien

    Brad Tilley Guest

    Emiel van de Laar wrote:
    > This rocks. I've been kind of waiting for this a while now. :)
    >
    > I'd love to try this out right now, but I'm short on time. Don't let
    > the lack of replies discourage you.

    I think the gateway to ruby-talk may be down. Perhaps that is why the
    forum has been so slow???

    Brad Tilley, Oct 30, 2006
  7. Marc Laukien

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Brad Tilley wrote:
    > Emiel van de Laar wrote:
    >
    >>This rocks. I've been kind of waiting for this a while now. :)
    >>
    >>I'd love to try this out right now, but I'm short on time. Don't let
    >>the lack of replies discourage you.

    > I think the gateway to ruby-talk may be down. Perhaps that is why the
    > forum has been so slow???

    We receive you. Do you receive us?

    The mailing list has about 200 messages per day.

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Oct 31, 2006