[ANN] IHelp 0.4.0 - full text search

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ilmari Heikkinen, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. View and search object documentation from irb.

    sudo gem install ihelp

    Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2597
    Documentation: http://ihelp.rubyforge.org
    Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ihelp/
    Screenshots:
    http://ihelp.rubyforge.org/ihelp1.png
    http://ihelp.rubyforge.org/ihelp2.png

    REQUIREMENTS

    * Generated RI docs (make install-doc)
    * Ferret: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ferret

    NEW FEATURES

    On a bit of a similar tack with Mauricio, I wrote a full-text search
    over RI docs to IHelp. Being a good deal less hardcore than him, I
    used Ferret to achieve the task.

    I think we'll merge the shared functionality some day, I'd rather roll
    all the nifty backend stuff into RI and have IHelp be a user interface
    to it.

    QUICK USAGE

    "How do I justify a string?"
    ihelp 'justifying strings'
    ihelp 'How do I justify a string?' # watch out for noise words

    "I need to read little-endian ints from a string"
    > String.help 'little-endian int'

    "Hmm, how does String#unpack work?"
    > String.help:unpack

    "Okay, so now I have this Array of ints, what was the syntax of inject again?"
    > ints.help:inject

    "What is this object and what can i do with it?"
    > object.help

    "Someone told me that I should look up Mutex#synchronize... but I
    don't have that loaded."
    > help "Mutex#synchronize"

    Add the following to your .irbrc:

    # snappier by loading in the background.
    Thread.new do
    require 'ihelp'
    end

    ## If you don't like the colors in the search results
    # IHelp.no_colors = true

    ## Renderer to use, one of 'ri', 'rubydoc', 'emacs', 'source', 'html'
    ## default is 'ri'
    # IHelp.renderer = 'rubydoc'

    ## Web browser to use with renderers 'rubydoc' and 'html'
    ## default is 'firefox'
    # IHelp.web_browser = 'konqueror'
    Ilmari Heikkinen, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Ilmari Heikkinen írta:
    > View and search object documentation from irb.
    >
    > sudo gem install ihelp
    > gem install ihelp

    No builder for extension 'lib/ihelp_reindex.rb'
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    Gem files will remain installed in
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ihelp-0.4.0 for inspection.
    No builder for extension 'lib/ihelp_reindex.rb'

    -- what can be the problem?

    --
    Parragh Szabolcs
    e-mail:
    Parragh Szabolcs, Nov 16, 2006

  3. > Thanks for noticing this, should be fixed in 0.4.1.

    Make that 0.4.2. Which is out now.
    Ilmari Heikkinen, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Unsubscribe

    How can i unsubscribe??

    Thanx.
    Hugo R. Brandao, Nov 17, 2006
  5. Ilmari Heikkinen írta:
    >> Thanks for noticing this, should be fixed in 0.4.1.

    > Make that 0.4.2. Which is out now.

    0.4.3 was it this morning:) But I get the following on my Ubuntu box:

    >> require 'ihelp'

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ihelp-0.4.3/lib/ihelp.rb:318: warning:
    already initialized constant RI_ARGS
    => true
    >> String.help:unpack

    unrecognized option `--readline'

    For help on options, try 'ri --help'

    --> and irb exits.

    --
    Parragh Szabolcs
    e-mail:
    Parragh Szabolcs, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Ilmari Heikkinen

    hemant Guest

    hemant, Nov 17, 2006
  7. Ilmari Heikkinen írta:

    > And I thought I was doing a good thing passing ARGV to RI..
    > Thanks for proving me wrong, disabled it in 0.4.4

    I updatet -- now it's okay. But now irb opens the help text in the pager
    -- can I turn it off?

    --
    Parragh Szabolcs
    e-mail: