[ANN] IHelp 0.4.5 - Interactive Help

Ilmari Heikkinen

View and search Ruby documentation from irb.

This one's a bugfix release
0.4.5
* Use RI environment variable to pass config to ri (thanks to Parragh
Szabolcs.)
* Bugfix for missing require 'stringio' (thanks to Marcel M. Cary.)
* Show first thousand hits instead of a mere ten.

If you run into problems, please let me know.

sudo gem install ihelp

Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2597
Documentation: http://ihelp.rubyforge.org
Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ihelp/
Screenshots:
http://ihelp.rubyforge.org/ihelp1.png
http://ihelp.rubyforge.org/ihelp2.png

REQUIREMENTS

* Generated RI docs (make install-doc)
* To use full-text search, Ferret: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ferret

QUICK USAGE

"How do I justify a string?"
ihelp 'justifying strings'
ihelp 'How do I justify a string?' # watch out for noise words

"I need to read little-endian ints from a string"
String.help 'little-endian int'

"Hmm, how does String#unpack work?"
String.help:unpack

"Okay, so now I have this Array of ints, what was the syntax of inject again?"
ints.help:inject

"What is this object and what can i do with it?"
object.help

"Someone told me that I should look up Mutex#synchronize... but I
don't have that loaded."
ihelp "Mutex#synchronize"

Add the following to your .irbrc:

# snappier by loading in the background.
Thread.new do
require 'ihelp'
end

## If you don't like the colors in the search results
# IHelp.no_colors = true

## Renderer to use, one of 'ri', 'rubydoc', 'emacs', 'source', 'html'
## default is 'ri'
# IHelp.renderer = 'rubydoc'

## Web browser to use with renderers 'rubydoc' and 'html'
## default is 'firefox'
# IHelp.web_browser = 'konqueror'