[ANN] Instiki 0.3.0: Before the Storm

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David Heinemeier Hansson, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. What's new in Instiki 0.3.0?
    ============================

    Instiki have moved off the backburner and into full-on development as
    its been chosen for playing a part in my bachelor's project on Social
    Software. This release is entitled "Before the Storm" as it's mainly
    about polish before I start adding features that'll require data
    migration. Upgrading to 0.3.0 is a no-brainer. Just move your wikis
    from storage/ over from the old installation and all should be fine.

    The most apparent change is that the user interface has been polished
    for all pages. This includes much requested Textile help on the edit
    page. But there's also locking, so you won't accidently start editing a
    page someone else is already working on.

    Full change list:

    * Brought all files into common style (including Textile help on the
    edit page)
    * Added page locking (if someone already is editing a page there's a
    warning)
    * Added daemon abilities on Unix (keep Instiki running after you close
    the terminal)
    * Made port 2500 the default port, so Instiki can be launched by
    dobbelt-click
    * Added Textile cache to speed-up rendering of large pages
    * Made WikiWords look like "Wiki Words"
    * Updated RedCloth to 2.0.4

    The next release will include a good share of the following stories:

    * Each revision is stored on the page object and it's possible to
    navigate back through the history with Previous / Next.
    * Informal signatures as wiki words (DavidHeinemeierHansson) that are
    stored in the cookie and attached to each revision.
    * Simple, optional password protection stored in the cookie.
    * Export to HTML with all control links stripped. All files named after
    their wikinames in one big directory, example: GetThisStarted.html.
    HomePage becomes index.html.
    * Multiple wiki spaces running on the same port.
    * Two RSS feeds for recent changes. "Headlines" with just headlines,
    author, and date. "Full content" that also include the entire page
    content.

    What is Instiki?
    ================

    Admitted, it's Yet Another Wiki Clone[1], but with a strong focus
    on simplicity of installation and running:

    Step 1. Download
    Step 2. Run "instiki.rb 2505"
    Step 3. *Chuckle*... "There's no step three!" (TM)

    You're now running a perfectly suitable wiki on port 2505
    that'll present you with a textarea for the home page on entering.

    Instiki lowers the barriers of interest for when you might consider
    using a wiki. It's so simple to get running that you'll find yourself
    using it for anything -- taking notes, brainstorming, organizing a
    gathering.

    Instiki reserves a separate WikiSpace for each port number, so
    you can run more than one wiki by keeping them on separate ports.
    It also means that you can't access the same wiki on another port
    than the one you started it on (unless you move the directory in
    storage).

    Features:
    * Regular expression search: Find deep stuff really fast
    * Reference tracker: Which other pages are pointing to the current?
    * Speed: Using Madelein for persistence (all pages are in memory)
    * Textile formatting[2]: By ways of RedCloth
    * Embedded webserver: Through WEBrick

    Missing:
    * Revision control
    * Access control (there's not even an explicit user concept)
    * File attachments

    History:
    * 0.3.0: Brought all files into common style (including Textile help on
    the edit page)
    Added page locking (if someone already is editing a page
    there's a warning)
    Added daemon abilities on Unix (keep Instiki running after you
    close the terminal)
    Made port 2500 the default port, so Instiki can be launched by
    dobbelt-click
    Added Textile cache to speed-up rendering of large pages
    Updated RedCloth to 2.0.4
    Made WikiWords look like "Wiki Words"
    * 0.2.5: Upgraded to RedCloth 2.0.2 and Madeleine 0.6.1, which means the
    Windows problems are gone. Also fixed a problem with wikiwords
    that used part of other wikiwords.
    * 0.2.0: First public release

    Download latest from:
    <a
    href="http://rubyforge.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=186">http://
    rubyforge.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=186</a>

    License is the same as Ruby's

    [1] <a
    href="http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones">http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?
    WikiWikiClones</a>
    [2] Textile Syntax: <a
    href="http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/">http://www.textism.com/
    tools/textile/</a>
    --
    David Heinemeier Hansson,

    http://www.loudthinking.com/

    David Heinemeier Hansson, Apr 9, 2004

  2. David Heinemeier Hansson, Apr 9, 2004

  3. What about a 'preview' button? How hard would it be to add?

    Guillaume.

    Guillaume Marcais, Apr 11, 2004
  4. > What about a 'preview' button? How hard would it be to add?

    The upcoming 0.4 release includes revisions, which should help you to
    avoid screw something up. There's even a function called continous
    revision where you won't generate new revision numbers while working on
    a single page as the same author (so you can change, read, tweak).
    --
    David Heinemeier Hansson,
    http://www.basecamphq.com/ -- Web-based Project Management

    David Heinemeier Hansson, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Le 11 avr. 04, à 16:29, David Heinemeier Hansson a écrit :

    >> What about a 'preview' button? How hard would it be to add?

    > The upcoming 0.4 release includes revisions, which should help you to
    > avoid screw something up. There's even a function called continous
    > revision where you won't generate new revision numbers while working
    > on a single page as the same author (so you can change, read, tweak).

    Great!

    Let me be very demanding. What about formatting language independence?
    Meaning you can choose between Textil, RDoc, etc. when you create the
    wiki.

    Guillaume.

    Guillaume Marcais, Apr 12, 2004
  6. > Let me be very demanding. What about formatting language independence?
    > Meaning you can choose between Textil, RDoc, etc. when you create the
    > wiki.

    Instiki is all about less choices and options leading to a simpler and
    easier application, so I don't think that's the road I'd like to
    persue. But I am cleaning the code up for 0.4, so if you want to do a
    personal fork, it should be very easy indeed.

    David Heinemeier Hansson, Apr 12, 2004