ANN: Interactive Fiction Mapper

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by gga, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. gga

    gga Guest

    Okay, this started as a little tool for one night to prove to myself
    how good ruby and fxruby was and it slowly evolved into a one-week
    project that is actually pretty fun. I guess it is a nice showcase of
    what one can hack in ruby in a week.

    Please visit the download section of:
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/ifmapper/

    There you will find the following:

    IFMapper
    by Gonzalo Garramuno

    What is it?

    IFMapper is a tool for easily mapping interactive fiction games, also
    known as text-based adventure games.

    Why do we need it?

    Because there are really no good mapping tools for these sort of games.
    GUEmap is a commercial product and awkward to use, IFM is extremely
    powerful but not very user friendly and Infomapper, of which IFMapper
    borrows heavily, is a user friendly tool but windows only,
    discontinued, and does not support large maps or easily shifting
    locations around.

    Features:

    - Multiplatform (only tested on windows for now. would love to get
    feedback from linux or osx users)
    - Very simple click interface
    - Complex paths supported (paths that loop on themselves or connect two
    remote nodes)
    - Mousewheel support for zooming in/out
    - Middle mouse scrolling
    - Rooms can have objects and tasks listed
    - Automatic numbering of rooms
    - Multiple map editing
    - Ability to easily move rooms in map with arrow keys
    - Complex connections and looping connections among rooms accepted
    - Written in a simple and great scripting language (Ruby)
    - Acrobat PDF output (in progress)
    - Can read IFM files (albeit not everything is supported)
    - Free

    Library dependencies:
    - FXRuby 1.4 or later
    - PDFWriter 1.1.1 or later (only if you want PDF output)

    Anyway, enjoy... There's still printing issues to address, undo to add,
    better cut/paste and lots of code cleanup to do, but overall the main
    functionality I wanted is there. I'm now just curious to get some
    feedback on it.
    gga, Aug 12, 2005

  2. gga

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On 8/12/05, gga <> wrote:

    > Library dependencies:
    > - FXRuby 1.4 or later

    This should presumably read, "FXRuby 1.2 or later". FXRuby 1.4 has not
    yet been released.
    Lyle Johnson, Aug 12, 2005

  3. gga

    gga Guest

    Oh, but it works *so* much better on that version of fxruby. I swear.
    :)
    The docs actually state the right stuff: you need 1.2.4 or later
    (albeit I wouldn't be surprised if it also works on earlier fxruby's).
    I also found the gem distribution was missing the icons (doh!), but it
    should be fixed now.

    I know of a couple of other bugs I need to squash, too, so expect a
    release shortly.

    gga, Aug 12, 2005
  5. gga

    Bill Atkins Guest

    Perhaps that's part of the fiction.

    On 8/12/05, Lyle Johnson <> wrote:
    > On 8/12/05, gga <> wrote:
    >=20
    > > Library dependencies:
    > > - FXRuby 1.4 or later

    >=20
    > This should presumably read, "FXRuby 1.2 or later". FXRuby 1.4 has not
    > yet been released.
    >=20
    >=20

    --=20