    http://rubywaves.com/

    Thanks!
    Dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 5, 2008

  2. Dan Yoder

    Matt Todd Guest

    Hi Dan,

    I must say that I like the looks of Wave thus far and the
    documentation on the website is pretty good. Great work.

    I would be interested to see how well it performs, in terms of
    requests/sec and memory footprint, compared to a number of other
    similarly-sized and -functional frameworks.

    Again, good job... looks very cool.

    Matt Todd

    Matt Todd, Feb 5, 2008

  3. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    > I must say that I like the looks of Wave thus far and the
    > documentation on the website is pretty good. Great work.

    Thanks!

    > I would be interested to see how well it performs, in terms of
    > requests/sec and memory footprint, compared to a number of other
    > similarly-sized and -functional frameworks.

    Me, too! :)

    Seriously, performance was not my top priority initially. I just
    wanted to get the abstractions right and put a strong foundation in
    place. I will be looking increasingly at performance over the next
    few months. In fact, I should probably say that in the roadmap ... :)

    > Again, good job... looks very cool.

    Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated.
    Dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 5, 2008
  4. It looks like the gem requirement should be RedCloth not redcloth.

    It happens a lot. :)

    --Jeremy

    --
    http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

    My books:
    Ruby in Practice
    http://www.manning.com/mcanally/

    My free Ruby e-book
    http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/

    My blogs:
    http://www.mrneighborly.com/
    http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

    Jeremy McAnally, Feb 5, 2008
  5. Dan Yoder wrote:
    > I am pleased to announce the first beta release of Waves, an open-source
    > framework for building Ruby-based Web applications. Waves is
    > feature-rich, compact, and extensible. Waves is thread-safe,
    > hot-patchable, and supports easy clustering. Waves relies on
    > best-of-breed Ruby libraries, including Rack, Mongrel, Sequel, Markaby,
    > and Erubis, among others. And it uses just-in-time class and module
    > creation to minimize the code you have to write.

    It's a very nice effort and all that, but it seems to me that this is
    just like rails, except done in a slightly different way, different
    conventions, etc. So let me ask the (possible rude) question that
    matters most:

    Why should I use this instead of rails?

    Daniel

    Daniel DeLorme, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Dan Yoder

    Dean Wampler Guest

    Or Merb?

    --
    Dean Wampler
    http://www.objectmentor.com

    Dean Wampler, Feb 6, 2008
  7. Dan Yoder

    yudi Guest

    different pattern, using mapping on controller and module interesting.
    Now what is the pros and cons?

    any other framework adopting this pattern?

    good job by the way!

    --
    Do not be afraid of Change.

    yudi, Feb 6, 2008
  8. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    >> just like rails, except done in a slightly different way, different
    >> conventions, etc. So let me ask the (possible rude) question that
    >> matters most:
    >>
    >> Why should I use this instead of rails?

    It's not a rude question at all and you're not the first person to
    ask, just the first to ask on the ML. Apparently, I am not
    communicating this as well as I'd hoped on the Web site. :( I am
    going to have to work on that; I appreciate the feedback.

    > Or Merb?

    Some of what follows is covered at http://rubywaves.com/features but
    I will try to summarize here some of the key differences.

    Waves is thread-safe (like Merb, but unlike Rails); it is DB-agnostic
    (like Merb) but comes prepackaged to support Sequel (which is also
    multi-threaded and can convert Ruby expressions into SQL queries).

    Waves request mapping ("routing") is very different from either Merb
    or Rails. It is much more flexible and you can avoid MVC overhead
    when you don't need it because requests are mapped into blocks, not
    preset parameters.

    Filters are also handled in the mapping, so you can lock down all
    your controllers from your mapping configuration. You don't have to
    worry about a secure method accidentally being exposed by a wayward
    controller.

    Example:

    # make sure users are logged in before allowing them access to URLs
    # beginning with '/admin
    before %r{^/admin/} do { redirect('/login') unless session[:user] }

    Common patterns can also be packaged into modules for reuse, as is
    done with the built-in "PrettyUrl" rule sets. I expect to provide
    more of these (hopefully through contributors as well as my own
    efforts) in the future.

    Waves implements something I am calling "just in time resources"
    which are MVC classes that are created on-demand based on exemplars.
    Thus, you often don't need to explicitly implement a model or
    controller class if it follows a well-known problem. Because
    controllers are simpler in Waves (they simply return a data object of
    some kind, essentially adapting requests to models) they tend to be
    easier to reuse.

    Views are also very different. For example, layouts are set in view
    templates (where I feel they really belong, since they are part of
    the view), not in the controller, like this:

    layout :default, :title => @person.full_name do
    end

    You can also call views directly from within other views (sort of
    like partials, but there is no real distinction between a view and a
    nested view in Waves). Waves views are primarily based around
    Markaby, allowing for pure Ruby templates, although any rendering
    engine can be easily integrated.

    Waves also is hot-patchable because it supports true code-reloading
    (unloading and then loading, as opposed to just loading a second
    time, which can leave stray constants and values from prior loads).

    Waves is designed to support multiple applications. Each application
    lives inside its own module, so they are completely separated. This
    makes it easy to reuse entire applications (although only one
    "master" application can provide the mappings and configuration).

    Finally, Waves may look on the surface somewhat similar, but beneath
    the covers, almost every aspect of Waves is designed to be extended.
    Even the dispatcher can be extended or replaced entirely.

    There's more, but hopefully, that helps a bit. I will try to spell
    this out a bit better on the Web site. Thanks for the feedback!

    Regards,
    Dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 6, 2008
  9. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    Thanks for catching this. Should be fixed in the latest gem (0.7.2). -
    Dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 6, 2008
  10. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    > different pattern, using mapping on controller and module interesting.
    > Now what is the pros and cons?

    The advantage, IMHO, of this approach is that the mapping are more
    flexible and the controllers are simplified and completely
    independent of the request context. This makes the controllers more
    reusable and allows you ultimately to even bypass the MVC approach
    when appropriate. For example, in one of my applications, I've
    bypassed the MVC stuff for serving up certain kinds of resources
    (like stylesheets). You have total control over which resources to do
    this with or how it gets done.

    Also, because the filtering is done in the mapping, not in the
    controller, it is much easier to ensure that filters are run
    consistently across controllers and that stray methods are
    accidentally exposed as URLs. I gave an example of this on the Web
    site and in a prior post.

    The disadvantage is that they are somewhat more verbose and complex.
    There are convenient helper methods to try to minimize this, but I
    haven't figured out how to get it to the same expressiveness of Rails
    or Merb.

    Also, the responsibility is on the developer not to be too liberal in
    bypassing controller or view logic.

    > any other framework adopting this pattern?

    Not as such, but Rack does use request-based mappings as well.

    > good job by the way!

    Thank you!

    Dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 6, 2008
  11. Dan Yoder

    s.ross Guest

    On Feb 6, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Dan Yoder wrote:

    > comes prepackaged to support Sequel

    The walk-through looked promising, although I haven't had a chance to
    try it. Have you attempted Haml integration? Haml and Sass are such
    incredible productivity enhancers (honest, without them I feel like I
    have one hand tied behind my back). It would be great to know whether
    they are easy, sorta-easy, or really hard to integrate.

    --s

    s.ross, Feb 6, 2008
  12. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    > The walk-through looked promising, although I haven't had a chance
    > to try it. Have you attempted Haml integration? Haml and Sass are
    > such incredible productivity enhancers (honest, without them I feel
    > like I have one hand tied behind my back). It would be great to
    > know whether they are easy, sorta-easy, or really hard to integrate.

    really easy. the only reason i didn't go with haml out of the gate is
    because markaby accomplishes a lot of the same things but is much
    more flexible since it is actually ruby. of course, if you want
    client-editable templates, than that becomes a drawback, one which i
    plan to address using sandbox. that said, it really isn't difficult
    to add haml support if it turns out to be a must-have. if you're
    interested at giving it a shot yourself, take a look at the
    Waves::Renderers stuff in the API docs.

    dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 6, 2008
  13. just out of curiosity, how do you test your framework?

    Marc-André Cournoyer, Feb 6, 2008
  14. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    > just out of curiosity, how do you test your framework?

    for functional testing, i have several apps running on it, and i test
    those. i would like to formalize that into actual test apps as
    contributors come on (knock on wood).

    for performance testing, right now i am using ab, although
    performance will become more of a focus in future releases.

    btw, thin support is coming in the next release. i've already had a
    couple of requests for it. :)

    Dan Yoder, Feb 7, 2008
  15. Dan Yoder

    Sasa Ebach Guest

    > Waves is designed to support multiple applications. Each application
    > lives inside its own module, so they are completely separated. This
    > makes it easy to reuse entire applications (although only one "master"
    > application can provide the mappings and configuration).

    Oh, this one is really interesting. I remember asking David H. back at 0.5
    if Rails will ever support this and he said no. The app folder in Rails
    should really be an apps folder with subfolders which in turn have
    controllers, models, views, … So for my main use case (having many
    customers running on one codebase, with each sharing 90 % of functionality
    and having 10 % of customized functionality) Rails died back then. This is
    the main reason I still develop my main app in PHP.

    I will have to look at waves then as soon as I have the time ;)

    -sasa

    Sasa Ebach, Feb 7, 2008
  16. Dan Yoder

    Trans Guest

    Re: Introducing Waves - Web App Framework

    On Feb 5, 2:33 am, Dan Yoder <> wrote:
    > I am pleased to announce the first beta release of Waves, an open-
    > source framework for building Ruby-based Web applications. Waves is
    > feature-rich, compact, and extensible. Waves is thread-safe, hot-
    > patchable, and supports easy clustering. Waves relies on best-of-
    > breed Ruby libraries, including Rack, Mongrel, Sequel, Markaby, and
    > Erubis, among others. And it uses just-in-time class and module
    > creation to minimize the code you have to write.
    >
    > To learn more, please visit the Ruby Waves Web site, where you'll
    > find a screencast, tutorial, reference docs, support forums, and more.
    >
    > http://rubywaves.com/

    Hi,

    The website is very distorted for me. The sidebar (I think it is a
    sidebar) sits above the main text. And the menu bar is wacked=out too.
    Thought you'd like to know. (I'm using firefox on linux).

    T.

    Trans, Feb 7, 2008
  17. Re: Introducing Waves - Web App Framework

    On Feb 7, 2008 11:06 AM, Trans <> wrote:
    > > http://rubywaves.com/

    > Hi,
    >
    > The website is very distorted for me. The sidebar (I think it is a
    > sidebar) sits above the main text. And the menu bar is wacked=out too.
    > Thought you'd like to know. (I'm using firefox on linux).

    Works perfectly for me (firefox 2.0.0.11 on linux)

    m.

    Martin DeMello, Feb 7, 2008
  18. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    Re: Introducing Waves - Web App Framework

    Are you using FF3? I've gotten a couple of reports on that ... not
    sure what the problem is. :(
    Dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 7, 2008
  19. Re: Introducing Waves - Web App Framework

    On Feb 7, 2008 6:49 PM, Dan Yoder <> wrote:
    > Are you using FF3? I've gotten a couple of reports on that ... not
    > sure what the problem is. :(

    I see the same weird layout as Trans, I'm using FF 2.0.0.11 in Ubuntu.

    Jesus.

    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Feb 7, 2008
  20. Dan Yoder

    Dan Yoder Guest

    Re: Introducing Waves - Web App Framework

    can anyone who is having this problem see if it is fixed now? i =20
    updated the theme, but i since i'm not seeing this problem, i am not =20
    sure if i fixed it or not? thanks again to everyone who helped me =20
    resolve this. -dan

    Dan Yoder, Feb 7, 2008