    searched the Web for an introduction to the basic concepts, but I
    couldn't find one. This is my attempt to fill that void.

    Suggestions for improvements can be sent to me at steve(at)ferg(dot)org.
    Steve, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Steve,

    This is an aside: I'd love to see someone implement in Python a
    framework similar to the Quantum Leaps Quantum Framework for
    event-driven programming. I think Python has some features that lend
    themselves to a neater implementation than what can be done in C/C++.

    More generally, I'd like to see an event driven framework which would
    be more declarative than the Quantum Framework. Rather than write code
    for most transitions it should be possible to declare in data what
    various events cause as transitions from states to states. Then
    optionally hang pointers to code for things to do before transitioning.
    Even let the code return a flag to test for whether to transition.
    Randall Parker, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Steve

    Carl Cerecke Guest

    Randall Parker wrote:
    > Steve,
    >
    > This is an aside: I'd love to see someone implement in Python a
    > framework similar to the Quantum Leaps Quantum Framework for
    > event-driven programming. I think Python has some features that lend
    > themselves to a neater implementation than what can be done in C/C++.
    >
    > More generally, I'd like to see an event driven framework which would
    > be more declarative than the Quantum Framework. Rather than write code
    > for most transitions it should be possible to declare in data what
    > various events cause as transitions from states to states. Then
    > optionally hang pointers to code for things to do before transitioning.
    > Even let the code return a flag to test for whether to transition.

    There's a small discussion in this group currently regarding efficiently
    representing state machines in python (without resorting to bytecode
    hacks) under the thread "Python code written in 1998, how to
    improve/change it?". That would be a part of what you want.

    Cheers,
    Carl.
    Carl Cerecke, Jan 23, 2006