[ANN] IPython 0.11 is officially out

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fernando Perez, Jul 31, 2011.

  1. Hi all,

    on behalf of the IPython development team, I'm thrilled to announce,
    after more than two years of development work, the official release of
    IPython 0.11.

    This release brings a long list of improvements and new features
    (along with hopefully few new bugs). We have completely refactored
    IPython, making it a much more friendly project to participate in by
    having better separated and organized internals. We hope you will not
    only use the new tools and libraries, but also join us with new ideas
    and development.

    After this very long development effort, we hope to make a few
    stabilization releases at a quicker pace, where we iron out the kinks
    in the new APIs and complete some remaining internal cleanup work. We
    will then make a (long awaited) IPython 1.0 release with these stable
    APIs.

    *Downloads*
    Download links and instructions are at: http://ipython.org/download.html
    And IPython is also on PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython

    Those contain a built version of the HTML docs; if you want pure
    source downloads with no docs, those are available on github:

    Tarball: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tarball/rel-0.11
    Zipball: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/zipball/rel-0.11

    * Features *
    Here is a quick listing of the major new features:

    - Standalone Qt console
    - High-level parallel computing with ZeroMQ
    - New model for GUI/plotting support in the terminal
    - A two-process architecture
    - Fully refactored internal project structure
    - Vim integration
    - Integration into Microsoft Visual Studio
    - Improved unicode support
    - Python 3 support
    - New profile model
    - SQLite storage for history
    - New configuration system
    - Pasting of code with prompts

    And many more...

    We closed over 500 tickets, merged over 200 pull requests, and more
    than 60 people contributed over 2200 commits for the final release.
    Please see our release notes for the full details on everything about
    this release: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/zipball/rel-0.11

    * Resources *

    You can see a talk about this release that was presented at the Scipy 2011
    conference:
    http://www.archive.org/details/Wednesday-203-6-
    IpythonANewArchitectureForInteractiveAndParallel

    For reference, the slides that go along with it are here:
    http://fperez.org/talks/1107_ipython_scipy.pdf

    And there's an excellent blog post, written by Chris Fonnesbeck, providing
    a visual tour of our new features:
    http://stronginference.com/weblog/2011/7/15/innovations-in-ipython.html

    As usual, if you find any problem, please file a ticket --or even
    better, a pull request fixing it-- on our github issues site
    (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/).

    Many thanks to all who contributed!

    Fernando, on behalf of the IPython development team.

    http://ipython.org
    Fernando Perez, Jul 31, 2011

  2. * Fernando Perez (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:26:50 +0000 (UTC))
    > on behalf of the IPython development team, I'm thrilled to announce,
    > after more than two years of development work, the official release of
    > IPython 0.11.
    >
    > This release brings a long list of improvements and new features
    > (along with hopefully few new bugs). We have completely refactored
    > IPython, making it a much more friendly project to participate in by
    > having better separated and organized internals. We hope you will not
    > only use the new tools and libraries, but also join us with new ideas
    > and development.
    > [...]
    > Here is a quick listing of the major new features:
    > [...]
    > - New configuration system
    > [...]

    And the best thing is: IPython 0.11 is not compatible to 0.10 so if you
    had your own customized ipythonrc you can start from scratch.

    The documentation[1] says "If you are upgrading to version 0.11 of
    IPython, you will need to migrate your old ipythonrc or ipy_user_conf.py
    configuration files to the new system. Read on for information on how to
    do this." Unfortunately there is no more mentioning of "migration", so
    the developers' approach seems to be: "read all about the new
    configuration system and see if you can somehow duplicate your old
    ipythonrc settings. Good luck!".

    By the way: "configuration object", "applications", "configurables",
    "singletons", ... Am I really supposed to understand all this?

    Thorsten
    [1] http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/overview.html
    Thorsten Kampe, Aug 1, 2011

  3. Fernando Perez

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 8/1/11 8:54 AM, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

    > The documentation[1] says "If you are upgrading to version 0.11 of
    > IPython, you will need to migrate your old ipythonrc or ipy_user_conf.py
    > configuration files to the new system. Read on for information on how to
    > do this." Unfortunately there is no more mentioning of "migration", so
    > the developers' approach seems to be: "read all about the new
    > configuration system and see if you can somehow duplicate your old
    > ipythonrc settings. Good luck!".

    Or you can ask nicely on ipython-user, and we can help you migrate your old
    ipythonrc.

    You can basically start with the ipython_config.py that is generated the first
    time and edit it. It is fully commented and demonstrates every configurable
    option with the defaults commented out. You just uncomment the appropriate lines
    and put in your values.

    You are right that the HOWTO migrate documentation is missing. It's an oversight
    that you can help remedy.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."