ANN: IPython 0.6.10 is out.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fernando Perez, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm glad to announce the release of IPython 0.6.10. IPython's homepage is at:

    http://ipython.scipy.org

    and downloads are at:

    http://ipython.scipy.org/dist

    I've provided RPMs (for Python 2.3, built under Fedora Core 3), plus source
    downloads (.tar.gz). We now also have a native win32 installer.

    Debian, Fink and BSD packages for this version should be coming soon, as the
    respective maintainers (many thanks to Jack Moffit, Andrea Riciputi and Dryice
    Liu) have the time to follow their packaging procedures.

    Many thanks to Enthought for their continued hosting support for IPython, and
    to all the users who contributed ideas, fixes and reports.

    What is IPython?
    ----------------

    1. An interactive shell superior to Python's default. IPython has many
    features for object introspection, system shell access, and its own special
    command system for adding functionality when working interactively.

    2. An embeddable, ready to use interpreter for your own programs. IPython can
    be started with a single call from inside another program, providing access to
    the current namespace.

    3. A flexible framework which can be used as the base environment for other
    systems with Python as the underlying language.

    Release notes
    -------------

    As always, the NEWS file can be found at http://ipython.scipy.org/NEWS, and
    the full ChangeLog at http://ipython.scipy.org/ChangeLog.

    * The major highlight of this release is vastly improved support for Windows
    users. Thanks to a lot of help from Viktor Ransmayr (installer work) and Gary
    Bishop (coloring problems), now Windows users finally should have an ipython
    with all the functionality available under Unix.

    There is now a true win32 executable installer:

    http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython-0.6.10.win32.exe

    This can be double-clicked and it will do a real windows installation,
    allowing later de-installation via the Control Panel. It will also warn if it
    detects that ctypes and/or readline are missing (needed for coloring/tab
    support).

    Full source syntax highlighting had always been broken under win32, and the
    bug turned out to be in ipython's formatting code. Thanks to Gary's debugging
    help, this problem is now fixed. You can test it by typing in ipython:

    import code
    code??

    You should see properly highligted sources, as shown in this (new) screenshot:

    http://ipython.scipy.org/screenshots/snapshot6.png

    Under Win32, ipython will now honor (if it exists) the $HOME environment
    variable and it will put your .ipython/ directory there. This should be more
    consistent for Win32 users who have a unix-like setup. If $HOME is not
    defined, the previous behavior remains (HOMEDRIVE\HOMEPATH).

    I also fixed a crash for pylab users under win32 with multithreaded backends
    (GTK/WX).

    I would appreciate reports of any problems from Win32 users.

    * (X)Emacs users: I incorporated Alex Schmolck's recent fixes and improvements
    to ipython.el. Since the python-mode project still hasn't made a release with
    the changes which IPython needs, I've temporarily copied today's CVS snapshot
    (v 4.70) of python-mode.el here:

    http://ipython.scipy.org/tmp/python-mode.el

    Once they make an official release, I'll remove this.

    * Small cleanups and improvements to numutils, including new amin/amax and
    empty_like utility functions. The deprecated spike/spike_odd functions have
    been removed.

    * Fix issue 24 from the bug tracker: spurious attribute access on assignment
    (foo.x=1 would trigger a __getattr__ call on foo).

    * Fix reporting of compound names in verbose exception reporting mode. This
    had been broken since the beginning of ipython (the tokenization logic was a
    bit tricky).

    * Fix gtk deprecation warnings (A. Straw patch).

    * Fix crash when inspecting instances without an __init__ method (reported by
    N. Nemenc).

    * Fix quote stripping bug in shell access (P. Ramachandran report).

    * Other minor fixes and cleanups, both to code and documentation.

    Enjoy, and as usual please report any problems.

    Regards,

    Fernando.

    Fernando Perez, Jan 28, 2005