ANN: IPython 0.6.5 is out

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fernando Perez, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm glad to announce that IPython 0.6.5 is finally out. IPython's homepage is
    at:

    http://ipython.scipy.org

    and downloads are at:

    http://ipython.scipy.org/dist

    I've provided RPMs for Python 2.2 and 2.3, plus source downloads (.tar.gz and
    ..zip).

    Debian, Fink and BSD packages for this version should be coming soon, as the
    respective maintainers (many thanks to Jack Moffit, Andrea Riciputi and Dryice
    Liu) have the time to follow their packaging procedures.

    Many thanks to Enthought for their continued hosting support for IPython, and
    to all the users who contributed ideas, fixes and reports.

    I'd promised that 0.6.4 would be the last version before the cleanup, but
    Prabhu Ramachandran managed to resucitate the GUI threading support which I'd
    worked on recently, but disabled after thinking it could not work. It turns
    out we were very close, and Prabhu did fix the remaining problems. Since this
    is a fairly significant improvement, I decided to make a release for it. In
    the process I added a few minor other things.

    *** WHAT is IPython? IPython tries to:

    1. Provide an interactive shell superior to Python's default. IPython has many
    features for object introspection, system shell access, and its own special
    command system for adding functionality when working interactively.

    2. Serve as an embeddable, ready to use interpreter for your own programs.
    IPython can be started with a single call from inside another program,
    providing access to the current namespace.

    3. Offer a flexible framework which can be used as the base environment for
    other systems with Python as the underlying language.

    *** NEW for this release:

    As always, the complete NEWS file can be found at
    http://ipython.scipy.org/NEWS, and the whole ChangeLog at
    http://ipython.scipy.org/ChangeLog.

    * Threading support for WXPython and pyGTK. It is now possible (with the
    -wthread and -gthread options) to control wx/gtk graphical interfaces from
    within an interactive ipython shell. Note that your wx/gtk libs need to be
    compiled with threading support for this to work. There is also experimental
    (but brittle) support for running Tkinter graphical interfaces alongside
    with wx or gtk ones.

    * New -d option to %run, for executing whole scripts with the interactive pdb
    debugger. This allows you to step, watch variables, set breakpoints, etc,
    without having to modify your scripts in any way.

    * Added filtering support for variable types to %who and %whos. You can now
    say 'whos function str' and whos will only list functions and strings, instead
    of all variables. Useful when working with crowded namespaces. (For some
    reason I forgot to document this in the ChangeLog).

    * Added ipython.el to the end-user distribution, for (X)Emacs support, since
    now the official python-mode.el from

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-mode

    has all the necessary fixes for ipython support (in CVS at this moment).

    * Other minor fixes and cleanups, both to code and documentation.

    Enjoy, and as usual please report any problems.

    Regards,

    Fernando.

    Fernando Perez, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Fernando Perez

    CarlosRivera Guest

    Looks cool. I will have to check it out.

    CarlosRivera, Dec 2, 2004