ANN: iTorrent alpha-1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Hobbs, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Announcing the first alpha release of iTorrent. iTorrent allows you to
    download BitTorrent podcasts from iTunes. It transforms BitTorrent
    podcasts so that you can update them just like any other podcast in
    iTunes. Details can be found at http://www.itorrent.cc. iTorrent is
    written in Python and is released under the GPL.

    Since this is its first alpha release, iTorrent isn't pretty, but it
    does work well -- for me. Please try it out on your own podcasts and let
    me know what doesn't work. Also, since this is an early release, I am
    only announcing it to a select group of knowledgeable Python users.
    Please don't spread the word; I'm not ready yet to handle bug reports
    from casual end users.

    Technical Details: iTorrent runs as an RSS proxy on your local machine
    and will fetch enclosures from a BitTorrent network on behalf of iTunes.
    The BitTorrent content will then be fed to iTunes via a standard HTTP
    loopback connection.

    It uses the official BitTorrent 4.4.0 code to perform the actual
    downloads from a BitTorrent network. (http://www.bittorrent.com)

    Regards,
    - Michael Hobbs <>

    Michael Hobbs, Mar 29, 2006