[ANN] JRuby 1.0.3 Released

Thomas Enebo

The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0.3.

Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

JRuby 1.0.3 is a minor release of our stable 1.0 branch. The fixes in this
release include primarily obvious compatibility issues that we felt were
low risk. We periodically push out point releases to continue supporting
production users of JRuby 1.0.x.

Highlights:
- Signal handling fixes involving mongrel
- Smattering of smaller YAML problems fixed
- 28 total issues resolved since JRuby 1.0.2

JRUBY-1691 Rails 2.0.1 not working with trunk
JRUBY-1717 Errors when trying to persist has_many :through objects
using Rails 2.0.1 and activerecord-jdbc-adapter 0.6
JRUBY-1697 Mongrel broken w/ 1.0.3 candidate
JRUBY-1471 YAML dumping or loading is mucking up object IDs
JRUBY-1685 Can't run Rails 2.0 app due to exception
JRUBY-1507 Ruby String aset ([]=) with 3 args does not work is start
index is one past string length
JRUBY-1358 Failure in ruby_test String#aset test
JRUBY-1552 /o regexp modifier (Ruby compatibility)
JRUBY-1371 testTime.rb doesn't work correctly on some configuration
JRUBY-1509 0o00 is broken
JRUBY-1511 bad shebang line in gem
JRUBY-1414 ArgumentError using to_time string conversion
JRUBY-1537 Sun JVM-specific signal handler should be used only when
available
JRUBY-1581 Signal#trap doesn't handle failure of trapping gracefully.
JRUBY-1277 Mongrel clashes with JVM for the right to handle SIGUSR1
JRUBY-1502 Trap not returning a proc as the previous handler
JRUBY-1148 Array#== doesn't use custom to_ary method for RHS arguments
JRUBY-1535 <clinit> must be generated with static modifier
JRUBY-1534 ThreadLibrary Queue#num_waiting and Zlib to_io method not
bound correctly.
JRUBY-1067 Rubinius core/thread_spec failures
JRUBY-1553 Generator sometimes hangs up
JRUBY-1694 jossl is using JRuby 1.1 op_aset which does not exist in
JRuby 1.0.x
JRUBY-1480 Compare uses of $VERBOSE with MRI
JRUBY-1699 Kernel#system ignores more than one arg if first arg
doesn't represent a valid file (e.g. a command name only)
JRUBY-1402 spurious warning messages when yaml is analized with
debug option.
JRUBY-1536 Giving YAML.load a non-IO object raises a Java error
instead of a Ruby error
JRUBY-518 "useless use" warning fires far too often during Rails
execution and testing
JRUBY-1246 Base64Coder#encode(String) has a problem.

Pokkai Dokkai

how to improve jruby speed .
i was working in ruby on rails ,If i work Jruby on Rails ,then my
application is very slow ,how to improve the speed only ?

Jari Williamsson

Pokkai said:
how to improve jruby speed .
i was working in ruby on rails ,If i work Jruby on Rails ,then my
application is very slow ,how to improve the speed only ?

Probably better to ask this in a JRuby or Rails group.

As Charles recently announced, any task in the current builds that is
now slower in JRuby compared to CRuby should now be treated as a bug. If
you have a test case that show this, make a report.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

Thomas Enebo

Jari said:
Probably better to ask this in a JRuby or Rails group.
Which is (e-mail address removed) and (e-mail address removed).
As Charles recently announced, any task in the current builds that is
now slower in JRuby compared to CRuby should now be treated as a bug.
If you have a test case that show this, make a report.
Indeed. I should also note that we have two branches of JRuby:

1.0.x - A stable release line where our primary focus has been decent
compatibility with Ruby
1.1 - Soon to have beta 2 out which has an additional focus on improving
performance

If anything is slower in 1.1 than in MRI (C impl of Ruby) we want to
know about it. In under a week JRuby 1.1b2 will be out. Try things out
and report issues. We want 1.1 to be a stellar release.

-Tom