[ANN] JRuby 1.0.3 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas Enebo, Dec 15, 2007.

  1. Thomas Enebo

    Thomas Enebo Guest

    The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0.3.

    Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

    JRuby 1.0.3 is a minor release of our stable 1.0 branch. The fixes in this
    release include primarily obvious compatibility issues that we felt were
    low risk. We periodically push out point releases to continue supporting
    production users of JRuby 1.0.x.

    Highlights:
    - Signal handling fixes involving mongrel
    - Smattering of smaller YAML problems fixed
    - 28 total issues resolved since JRuby 1.0.2

    JRUBY-1691 Rails 2.0.1 not working with trunk
    JRUBY-1717 Errors when trying to persist has_many :through objects
    using Rails 2.0.1 and activerecord-jdbc-adapter 0.6
    JRUBY-1697 Mongrel broken w/ 1.0.3 candidate
    JRUBY-1471 YAML dumping or loading is mucking up object IDs
    JRUBY-1685 Can't run Rails 2.0 app due to exception
    JRUBY-1507 Ruby String aset ([]=) with 3 args does not work is start
    index is one past string length
    JRUBY-1358 Failure in ruby_test String#aset test
    JRUBY-1552 /o regexp modifier (Ruby compatibility)
    JRUBY-1371 testTime.rb doesn't work correctly on some configuration
    JRUBY-1509 0o00 is broken
    JRUBY-1511 bad shebang line in gem
    JRUBY-1414 ArgumentError using to_time string conversion
    JRUBY-1537 Sun JVM-specific signal handler should be used only when
    available
    JRUBY-1581 Signal#trap doesn't handle failure of trapping gracefully.
    JRUBY-1277 Mongrel clashes with JVM for the right to handle SIGUSR1
    JRUBY-1502 Trap not returning a proc as the previous handler
    JRUBY-1148 Array#== doesn't use custom to_ary method for RHS arguments
    JRUBY-1535 <clinit> must be generated with static modifier
    JRUBY-1534 ThreadLibrary Queue#num_waiting and Zlib to_io method not
    bound correctly.
    JRUBY-1067 Rubinius core/thread_spec failures
    JRUBY-1553 Generator sometimes hangs up
    JRUBY-1694 jossl is using JRuby 1.1 op_aset which does not exist in
    JRuby 1.0.x
    JRUBY-1480 Compare uses of $VERBOSE with MRI
    JRUBY-1699 Kernel#system ignores more than one arg if first arg
    doesn't represent a valid file (e.g. a command name only)
    JRUBY-1402 spurious warning messages when yaml is analized with
    debug option.
    JRUBY-1536 Giving YAML.load a non-IO object raises a Java error
    instead of a Ruby error
    JRUBY-518 "useless use" warning fires far too often during Rails
    execution and testing
    JRUBY-1246 Base64Coder#encode(String) has a problem.

    --
    Thomas E Enebo <>
    JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo
    Thomas Enebo, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Re: JRuby 1.0.3 Released

    how to improve jruby speed .
    i was working in ruby on rails ,If i work Jruby on Rails ,then my
    application is very slow ,how to improve the speed only ?
    Pokkai Dokkai, Dec 16, 2007

  3. Re: JRuby 1.0.3 Released

    Pokkai Dokkai wrote:
    > how to improve jruby speed .
    > i was working in ruby on rails ,If i work Jruby on Rails ,then my
    > application is very slow ,how to improve the speed only ?

    Probably better to ask this in a JRuby or Rails group.

    As Charles recently announced, any task in the current builds that is
    now slower in JRuby compared to CRuby should now be treated as a bug. If
    you have a test case that show this, make a report.

    Best regards,

    Jari Williamsson
    Jari Williamsson, Dec 16, 2007
  4. Thomas Enebo

    Thomas Enebo Guest

    Re: JRuby 1.0.3 Released

    Jari Williamsson wrote:
    > Pokkai Dokkai wrote:
    >> how to improve jruby speed .
    >> i was working in ruby on rails ,If i work Jruby on Rails ,then my
    >> application is very slow ,how to improve the speed only ?

    > Probably better to ask this in a JRuby or Rails group.

    Which is and .

    > As Charles recently announced, any task in the current builds that is
    > now slower in JRuby compared to CRuby should now be treated as a bug.
    > If you have a test case that show this, make a report.

    Indeed. I should also note that we have two branches of JRuby:

    1.0.x - A stable release line where our primary focus has been decent
    compatibility with Ruby
    1.1 - Soon to have beta 2 out which has an additional focus on improving
    performance

    If anything is slower in 1.1 than in MRI (C impl of Ruby) we want to
    know about it. In under a week JRuby 1.1b2 will be out. Try things out
    and report issues. We want 1.1 to be a stellar release.

    -Tom

    Thomas Enebo, Dec 16, 2007