    --
    Thomas E Enebo <>
    JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo
    Thomas Enebo, Jun 10, 2007

  2. Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?

    --
    Thiago Jackiw
    acts_as_solr => http://acts-as-solr.railsfreaks.com

    Thiago Jackiw, Jun 10, 2007

  3. Thiago Jackiw wrote:
    > Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?

    Our understanding is that 1.8.6 was largely a bug-fix release, and since
    at least half of JRuby is not implemented with the same code as C Ruby
    (our Java code versus C Ruby's C code) we opted not to update the
    remainder (stdlib) until after 1.0. I'd be surprised if the difference
    between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 was noticed by anyone using JRuby.

    As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
    features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
    using those features with JRuby.

    - Charlie
    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jun 10, 2007
  4. On 6/10/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <> wrote:

    > As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
    > features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
    > using those features with JRuby.

    Cool! Congrats guys...
    Gregory Brown, Jun 10, 2007
  5. Thomas Enebo

    Chris Carter Guest

    On 6/10/07, Thomas Enebo <> wrote:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!
    >
    > Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    > Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/
    >
    > JRuby 1.0 is a major milestone for our project. Our main goal for 1.0 has been Ruby compatibility. We feel this goal has been reached. When we see companies like ThoughtWorks offering commerical JRuby support; we know this goal has been reached. Please download JRuby and take it for a test drive. Try running your Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications with it. Give us feedback. Join our community. Help us continue to improve JRuby.
    >
    > We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby a treat. Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time people are spending on JRuby. We all get along well and I think the progress made because of this really shows. To think a little over a year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is amazing how far we have come.
    >
    > -Tom
    >
    > --
    > Thomas E Enebo <>
    > JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo

    Wow guys! Congratulations! This project is going to go faar. Is
    this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?

    --
    Chris Carter
    concentrationstudios.com
    Chris Carter, Jun 10, 2007
  6. Re: JRuby 1.0 Released

    Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
    > Thiago Jackiw wrote:
    >> Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?

    > Our understanding is that 1.8.6 was largely a bug-fix release, and since
    > at least half of JRuby is not implemented with the same code as C Ruby
    > (our Java code versus C Ruby's C code) we opted not to update the
    > remainder (stdlib) until after 1.0. I'd be surprised if the difference
    > between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 was noticed by anyone using JRuby.
    >
    > As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
    > features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
    > using those features with JRuby.
    >
    > - Charlie

    Maybe that's the time it should be considered to use a separate
    versioning for the language. But I guess that has already been
    discussed.

    Regards
    Stefan

    Stefan Rusterholz, Jun 10, 2007
  7. Thomas Enebo

    Pete Yandell Guest

    Thomas Enebo wrote:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

    Congratulations! It's fantastic for Ruby that implementations like this
    are coming of age.

    Pete Yandell
    http://notahat.com/
    Pete Yandell, Jun 11, 2007
  8. Thomas Enebo

    Sammy Larbi Guest

    Thomas Enebo wrote, On 6/10/2007 4:40 AM:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

    Congrats Tom, Charlie, Ola and the entire JRuby team!
    Sammy Larbi, Jun 11, 2007
  9. On 10.06.2007 11:40, Thomas Enebo wrote:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!
    >
    > Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    > Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/
    >
    > JRuby 1.0 is a major milestone for our project. Our main goal for 1.0
    > has been Ruby compatibility. We feel this goal has been reached. When
    > we see companies like ThoughtWorks offering commerical JRuby support; we
    > know this goal has been reached. Please download JRuby and take it for
    > a test drive. Try running your Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications with
    > it. Give us feedback. Join our community. Help us continue to improve
    > JRuby.
    >
    > We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby
    > a treat. Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced
    > test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time
    > people are spending on JRuby. We all get along well and I think the
    > progress made because of this really shows. To think a little over a
    > year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is
    > amazing how far we have come.

    My full hearted congratulations. Well done!

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Jun 11, 2007
  10. Chris Carter wrote:
    > Wow guys! Congratulations! This project is going to go faar. Is
    > this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?

    I think that's probably fair to say...we're the only one that can run
    apps, and we seem to run them pretty well.

    - Charlie
    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jun 11, 2007
  11. On 11 Jun 2007, at 13:20, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
    > Chris Carter wrote:
    >> Wow guys! Congratulations! This project is going to go faar. Is
    >> this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?

    > I think that's probably fair to say...we're the only one that can
    > run apps, and we seem to run them pretty well.

    Congratulation to all you guys in the JRuby team on going 1.0 - this
    is such a huge milestone in Ruby's evolution :)

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains
    ----
    Eleanor McHugh, Jun 11, 2007
  12. On 6/10/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <> wrote:
    [...]
    > As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
    > features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
    > using those features with JRuby.
    >
    > - Charlie

    Just curious: Have you already decided what technology to follow for
    Ruby 1.9 features. Will you implement the YARV VM or will you try to
    translate Ruby directly to Java bytecode?

    keep up the great work!
    -- henon
    Meinrad Recheis, Jun 12, 2007
  13. On 6/10/07, Thomas Enebo <> wrote:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

    Congratulations - that's quite a milestone!

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Jun 12, 2007
  14. Meinrad Recheis wrote:
    > On 6/10/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <> wrote:
    > [...]
    >> As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
    >> features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
    >> using those features with JRuby.
    >>
    >> - Charlie
    >>

    > Just curious: Have you already decided what technology to follow for
    > Ruby 1.9 features. Will you implement the YARV VM or will you try to
    > translate Ruby directly to Java bytecode?

    We already have a compiler that compiles what code it can to Java
    bytecode. That's helped performance substantially in a number of areas.
    We also have a very early, primitive implementaiton of YARV's bytecode
    engine. We're hoping that will provide a faster interpreted mode for
    JRuby, avoiding the AST walking we're doing now.

    - Charlie
    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jun 13, 2007