[ANN] JRuby 1.1.1 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas Enebo, Apr 22, 2008.

  1. Thomas Enebo

    Thomas Enebo Guest

    The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.1!

    Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

    JRuby 1.1.1 is the first point release of JRuby 1.1. The fixes in this
    release are primarily obvious compatibility problems and performance
    enhancements. Our goal is to put out point releases more frequently for
    the next several months (about 3-4 weeks a release). We want a more
    rapid release cycle to better address issues brought up by users of JRuby.

    Highlights:
    - interpreter method dispatch speedup
    - reduced memory consumption (permgen)
    - fixed nasty concurrency bottleneck
    - stat()/lstat() 300% faster
    - improved startup time
    - improved bigdecimal support
    - 42 issues resolved since JRuby 1.1

    JRUBY-1628 Compiled ruby programs do not know how to interpret
    the directoy path in a require statement.
    JRUBY-2093 JI: matching_method sometimes selects method with wrong
    arity for overloaded method
    JRUBY-2111 test_thread failure in run-junit-compiled-threadpool
    JRUBY-2254 Can't run JRuby with GCJ
    JRUBY-2270 Deadlock With ReentrantLock and Java Integration
    JRUBY-2316 Range#step doesn't work with custom object that only
    respond to #succ, #<=>
    JRUBY-2330 define_method + super very broken at the moment
    JRUBY-2337 Latest build (6366) jruby.bat does nothing
    JRUBY-2339 ArrayIndexOutOfBounds running Rubinius bm_glob benchmark
    JRUBY-2340 File.open in write mode on read-only files raises
    Errno::ENOENT, should be Errno::EACCES
    JRUBY-2343 InheritedCacheCompiler does not use inherited call site
    fields, causing some permgen waste
    JRUBY-2344 static callCount field used for "every 256 calls" thread
    event polling interferes with parallelization
    JRUBY-2345 Marshal.load should raise EOFError if the file to load
    from is empty
    JRUBY-2350 Rbconfig's Config::CONFIG provides non-standard platform
    names
    JRUBY-2352 Various Process methods breaks JRuby hard on Windows
    JRUBY-2355 Etc.getlogin blows up JRuby, but works OK in MRI, on Windows
    JRUBY-2356 Most of Etc methods (except for getlogin) blow up JRuby
    on windows
    JRUBY-2357 File#truncate blows up JRuby on files from within JAR files
    JRUBY-2358 "A = 12; class A::B; end" crashes JRuby
    JRUBY-2361 Kernel.load and Kernel.require can't handle paths with ~/
    and ~username/
    JRUBY-2362 StringIO#rewind doesn't clear EOF flag, fails new rubyspec
    JRUBY-2363 Kernel.exit! does not work from within Rails running
    under Webrick
    JRUBY-2365 update_rubygems "shebang" points to
    /Users/headius/NetBeansProjects/jruby/bin/jruby
    JRUBY-2367 JRuby 1.1 is not compatible with IBM JDK 5.0 or 6.0
    JRUBY-2371 src dist is not including Rakefile
    JRUBY-2372 Sample script java2.rb doesn't neccesarily open the
    correct file
    JRUBY-2379 Symbol#inspect fails two new rubyspecs
    JRUBY-2381 Zlib is *VERY* slow on big files, affects gem
    installation severely in some cases
    JRUBY-2385 expect.rb
    JRUBY-2388 Calling Module.start resolves to org.jruby.RubyGC#start.
    JRUBY-2390 Input stream not closed in org.jruby.runtime.Constants
    JRUBY-2393 Env.to_hash should return new hash instance
    JRUBY-2394 File.stat should follow the symbolic link and report the
    stat for the file pointed by the link
    JRUBY-2397 File#chown and File.chown should allow nil as first argument
    JRUBY-2402 Ant build on Windows is broken
    JRUBY-2405 Zlib::GzipFile.wrap has bad signature
    JRUBY-2406 StringIO.new "", "r+" (rb+) is not open for writing
    JRUBY-2407 StringIO.new does not accept MODE constants
    JRUBY-2412 shared-1.1.pom has cyclic property declaration
    JRUBY-2413 org.jruby.util.io.NullChannel does not update Buffer position
    JRUBY-2427 Add a --profile flag to JRuby that can run a simple
    Java-based instrumenting profiler.
    JRUBY-2428 Add a --debug flag that can enable JDB for anyone wanting
    command-line debugging capabilities.

    Thomas Enebo, Apr 22, 2008

  2. Thomas Enebo

    James Britt Guest

    James Britt, Apr 23, 2008

  3. On 22/04/2008, Thomas Enebo <> wrote:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.1!
    >
    > Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/

    That's fast!

    Even faster than the web as it shows 1.1 as the latest version in ChangeLog ;-)

    Thanks

    Michal

    Michal Suchanek, Apr 23, 2008
  4. Michal Suchanek wrote:
    > On 22/04/2008, Thomas Enebo <> wrote:
    >> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.1!
    >>
    >> Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/

    > That's fast!
    >
    > Even faster than the web as it shows 1.1 as the latest version in ChangeLog ;-)

    So many version numbers, so little time!

    We're looking to a 1.1.2 by RailsConf or so, with another round of
    improvements.

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Apr 23, 2008