[ANN] JRuby 1.1.3 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas Enebo, Jul 19, 2008.

  1. Thomas Enebo

    Thomas Enebo Guest

    The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.3!

    Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

    JRuby 1.1.3 is the third point release of JRuby 1.1. The fixes in this
    release are primarily obvious compatibility problems and performance
    enhancements. Our goal is to put out point releases more frequently for
    the next several months (about 3-4 weeks a release). We want a more
    rapid release cycle to better address issues brought up by users of JRuby.

    Highlights:

    - RubyGems 1.2
    - Greatly improved interpreter performance
    - jrubyc compiler usability improvements and bug fixes
    - Reduced memory usage and object churn
    - Dozens of IO-related and core class RubySpec fixes + reduced memory for IO
    - ThreadGroup fixes to resolve Mongrel "dead thread" issues
    - New options/properties for tweaking JIT, thread pooling, and more
    - Block invocation performance improvements
    - Much faster Time performance
    - Much better support for --debug
    - 82 issues resolved since JRuby 1.1.2

    Issues fixed:
    JRUBY-2495 Requiring and using a Java library that ends up using
    a Thread Context classloader doesn't work.
    JRUBY-2582 Strip out gem cruft dring ant dist
    JRUBY-2584 Comparable#== behavior differs from MRI
    JRUBY-2585 Hash.[] should call to_hash if only one argument is provided
    JRUBY-2590 [1.8.7] SecureRandom crashes, fails new rubyspecs
    JRUBY-2592 Two JRuby crashes on Readline::HISTORY rubyspecs
    JRUBY-2598 Rubygems installs non-functioning BAT files on Windows
    JRUBY-2601 New default for jruby.jit.threshold property is not
    reflected in the --properties listing on jruby command line ref. JRUBY-2514
    JRUBY-2605 Kernel.eval with yield behaves differently than MRI
    1.8.6/1.8.7, causes some libraries failures with JRuby
    JRUBY-2607 Gather all JRuby RubyGems changes out of RubyGems libs
    and into a single monkey-patching file
    JRUBY-2614 StringIO#readlines("") hangs JRuby
    JRUBY-2615 IO.popen doesn't allow shell commands to access STDIN
    JRUBY-2617 gem install appears to be bulk updating every time.
    JRUBY-2623 Rubyspec failures for StringIO's #close, #close_write,
    #close_read and #<<
    JRUBY-2624 Object#initialize_copy should always be private
    JRUBY-2625 IO#read_nonblock is broken
    JRUBY-2628 StringIO's methods (new and truncate) should raise
    appropriate exceptions
    JRUBY-2629 StringIO#<< and various read methods crash ruby if
    invoked on only-allocated object
    JRUBY-2630 direct loading .class files fails with an IO Error
    JRUBY-2631 jruby's select() doesn't properly handle objects that
    implement to_io
    JRUBY-2632 IO#readpartial doesn't handle unget char
    JRUBY-2633 Kernel#select with non-array argument crashes JRuby
    JRUBY-2635 IO#readpartial crashes when negative argument is specified
    JRUBY-2636 IO#readpartial doesn't honor maxlength parameter and
    always returns the whole buffer content
    JRUBY-2637 Channelstram should null the buffer in close()
    JRUBY-2638 StringIO#initialize_copy is not implemented
    JRUBY-2644 TCPServer#close doesn't interrupt any pending #accept's
    JRUBY-2646 NullPointerException when trying to invoke method whose
    arity is three and that is given a block.
    JRUBY-2650 Block construction/instantiation is slower in compiled
    than interpreted
    JRUBY-2652 NativeException does not have a direct accessor for the
    wrapped exception
    JRUBY-2653 test_threaded_nonlocal_return test sometimes fail with an
    apparent threading issue
    JRUBY-2659 Stringio#ungetc crashes JRuby in some cases
    JRUBY-2660 More than 30 rubyspec failures for StringIO
    JRUBY-2662 Tag or fix remaining OS X spec failures
    JRUBY-2664 --debug option on Windows is broken
    JRUBY-2667 Plenty of new StringScanner failures for JRuby
    JRUBY-2669 StringScanner#peek crashes JRuby in some situations
    JRUBY-2671 NullPointerException when converting an Array of Ruby
    that includes an instance of java primitive class.
    JRUBY-2677 Problem in Process Command Line Arguments
    JRUBY-2679 Selectively Disable JIT Compiler using command line options
    JRUBY-2681 Multiple IO#readlines rubyspec failures
    JRUBY-2683 Regexp#to_s behaves differently than MRI 1.8 or MRI 1.9
    JRUBY-2684 gem management requires too much memory
    JRUBY-2687 Socket.for_fd generates ArgumentError when running
    EventMachine gem (pure_ruby version)
    JRUBY-2692 Bigdecimal#add never uses the precision arg, fails new
    rubyspec tests
    JRUBY-2693 PROGRAM_NAME is not available in the modules included via
    -r command line option
    JRUBY-2694 [1.8.7] Ability to specify suffix/extension for Tempfile
    JRUBY-2695 Exception in the thread is not printed when
    Thread.abort_on_exception is set to true
    JRUBY-2696 Kernel.raise should print the one-line exception info to
    $stderr in DEBUG mode
    JRUBY-2698 Time.new inconsitencies
    JRUBY-2699 If user's PATH contains '.' and 'jruby' resolves to
    './jruby', JRUBY_HOME is incorrectly set to '.', leading to
    'NoClassDefFoundError'
    JRUBY-2704 Upgrade rubygems to version 1.2
    JRUBY-2707 JRuby does not load AOT compiler escaped name
    JRUBY-2709 Interpreter crashes on a new rubyspecs for rescue
    JRUBY-2710 CGI#out fails new rubypecs, prints results to original
    stdout rather than to the redefined one
    JRUBY-2711 RubyArray keeps references to unreachable RubyObjects
    after clear, reject!, delete and delete_at
    JRUBY-2713 AOT Compiler should default to no prefix
    JRUBY-2714 Major performance slowdown when loading AOT compiled file
    JRUBY-2717 Dir[..] does not accept more than two arguments
    JRUBY-2719 Mongrel can't handle heavy load, fills up with threads
    and starts dropping connections
    JRUBY-2721 ThreadGroup should not ever hold on to dead threads in
    its list
    JRUBY-2722 Interpreter passes absolute path to the EventHook for
    'require'ed files
    JRUBY-2723 Interpreter passes wrong position on 'return' event
    JRUBY-2728 Deadlock in Thread#exit when being joined from outside
    JRUBY-2729 Kernel#caller should not cut off at eval like backtraces do
    JRUBY-2730 Multiply-binding JRubyMethods with meta=true are not
    processed correctly by AnnotationBinder
    JRUBY-2731 Significant speedup of Time methods (up to 300%-400% in
    some cases)
    JRUBY-2733 StringIO#each_byte doesn't update pos, fails new Rubyspecs
    JRUBY-2735 String#% should use to_ary to convert the argument to Array
    JRUBY-2738 TCPServer#peeraddr on crashes JRuby
    JRUBY-2742 Major code duplication in BAT files
    JRUBY-2751 Array#fill should return self instead of raising an error
    when length is negative
    JRUBY-2753 c-return passes different 'file' then c-call for load and
    require
    JRUBY-2769 I/O Error (sysseek for buffered IO) when using
    reliable-message library
    JRUBY-2770 IO#sysseek after IO#sysread raises IOError
    JRUBY-2773 Crashes when using Enumerator#to_enum with
    Threadify#threadify
    JRUBY-2779 Race condition in IO
    JRUBY-2781 Can't compile Build 7142
    JRUBY-2786 Lots of JRuby crashes on ARGF methods
    JRUBY-2789 IO#read crashes JRuby when pos is bigger than the file length
    JRUBY-2809 Not all at_exit blocks are being executed.
    JRUBY-2814 release jna-posix and update jruby afterwards

    Thomas Enebo, Jul 19, 2008

  2. Thomas Enebo

    Roger Pack Guest

    Re: JRuby 1.1.3 Released

    Thomas Enebo wrote:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.3!

    Benchmarks?
    :)
    -R

    Roger Pack, Jul 20, 2008

  3. Thomas Enebo

    Guest

    Re: JRuby 1.1.3 Released

    Quoting Roger Pack <>:

    > Thomas Enebo wrote:
    >> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.3!

    > Benchmarks?
    > :)
    > -R

    Yes. :)

    Profiles too, maybe. ;)

    , Jul 20, 2008
  4. Re: JRuby 1.1.3 Released

    Roger Pack wrote:
    > Thomas Enebo wrote:
    >> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.3!

    > Benchmarks?

    What would you like to see? It's pretty easy to download yourself and
    run them too :)

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jul 20, 2008