[ANN] JRuby 1.1.4 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas Enebo, Aug 28, 2008.

  1. Thomas Enebo

    Thomas Enebo Guest

    The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.4!

    Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

    JRuby 1.1.4 is the fourth point release of JRuby 1.1. The fixes in this
    release are primarily obvious compatibility problems and performance
    enhancements. Our goal is to put out point releases more frequently for
    the next several months (about 3-4 weeks a release). We want a more
    rapid release cycle to better address issues brought up by users of JRuby.

    Highlights:

    - Massive refactoring of Java integration layer
    - 2-20x speed up of most features (calls, construction, arrays)
    - Many long-standing Ruby/Java interaction bugs fixed
    - Existing features made more consistent, reliable
    - Closures can be passed as interface to static methods, constructors
    - Java exceptions can be raised/rescued directly from Ruby
    - Massive memory efficiency improvements (a lot less GC)
    - Beginning of Ruby 1.9 support (enabled with --1.9 flag)
    - Native complex/rational
    - Additional efficiency, performance work in the interpreter
    - Memory leak under --manage repaired
    - FFI subsystem for calling C libraries
    - syslog module from Rubinius is working and included
    - win32 API support started
    - Thread pooling improved (at least one production user now)
    - Array concurrent-access improvements
    - 72 issues resolved since JRuby 1.1.3

    Issues fixed:
    JRUBY-231 Provide attr_reader, attr_writer, and attr_accessor for
    JavaBean style getters & setters
    JRUBY-1183 New closure conversion should prefer methods with
    convertable args over those without
    JRUBY-1300 Masquerading of native Java exceptions
    JRUBY-1326 Error invoking overloaded Java constructor
    JRUBY-1562 Declaration of certain method name (setJavaObject(Xxx x))
    will throw an exception using BSF
    JRUBY-1615 Raising java exceptions from ruby causes TypeError
    JRUBY-1707 Unable to raise Java exceptions of derived types
    JRUBY-1735 Java Integration wraps to much
    JRUBY-1839 closure conversion fails for blocks
    JRUBY-1964 Determine what test/specs are needed to be written in
    order to refactor java integration post 1.1
    JRUBY-1976 Working with JavaMethods doesn't work.
    JRUBY-2136 $VERBOSE = true; require 'tmpdir' gives non-fatal Java
    exception
    JRUBY-2192 YAML parser does not appear to deserialize object types.
    JRUBY-2204 Syslog module is not available for JRuby
    JRUBY-2236 NPE in isDuckTypeConvertible
    JRUBY-2287 Storing ruby objects in java classes instances
    JRUBY-2377 Wrong line numbers for ArgumentError for Java calls
    JRUBY-2429 Cannot Catch Core Java Exceptions From JRuby Internals in
    Ruby Code
    JRUBY-2439 Trying to subclass a Java class from a signed .jar will
    crash on you.
    JRUBY-2449 Implement closure convention for static java methods
    JRUBY-2561 JavaField.set_value(foo, nil) breaks
    JRUBY-2673 Java exceptions do not return the wrapped exception when
    getStackTrace is called
    JRUBY-2680 When JIT Compiler compiles the append_features in the
    ruby\site_ruby\1.8\builtin\javasupport\proxy\interface.rb the compiled
    code slows down by a factor of 10
    JRUBY-2741 OSGify jruby.jar in the release jruby distribution
    JRUBY-2749 Make RaiseException show the exception message and the
    Ruby stack trace
    JRUBY-2803 Bad performance calling Java classes
    JRUBY-2823 Can't reference Java's constants that start with a lower
    case character
    JRUBY-2828 Rational#% differs from MRI when argument is negative
    JRUBY-2843 Issues with BasicSocket#close_read
    JRUBY-2847 A non-existant jar + dir on the load path causes require
    to error
    JRUBY-2850 In some cases, reopened Java objects cannot find methods
    on Ruby objects subclassed from Java
    JRUBY-2854 AST offset error for StrNode and DStrNode
    JRUBY-2857 Coercion error with public member variables
    JRUBY-2863 Nested Interfaces can't find the correct method when Java
    calls Ruby
    JRUBY-2865 Can't extend a class in default package
    JRUBY-2867 Wrong overloaded Java method called when both int and
    float signatures exist
    JRUBY-2869 IO.select fails to block with nil timeout
    JRUBY-2870 [REGRESSION] Converting a Ruby array to a Java array (of
    Object references) broken
    JRUBY-2872 JSpinner cannot accept Fixnum for it's value
    JRUBY-2873 FFI needs a way to specify call convention
    JRUBY-2874 TCPSocket#new and TCPServer#new crash JRuby when the
    specified port is out of range (negative or bigger than 65k)
    JRUBY-2879 net/ftp library is broken if mathn is also loaded
    JRUBY-2880 Regression: 17 new RubySpec failures and 3 unit tests
    falirues caused by r7327 (Array changes)
    JRUBY-2881 JAVA_HOME with () breaks JRuby on windows
    JRUBY-2882 Incorrect subclass for constructor arg throws internal
    JRuby error
    JRUBY-2886 Extending a final Java class should be rescuable as a
    normal Ruby exception type
    JRUBY-2890 UDPSocket.recvfrom should block until something is available
    JRUBY-2891 UDPSocket.bind throws a Java Error when already bound on
    Java 5
    JRUBY-2892 JRuby releases use random copies of joni svn HEAD
    JRUBY-2893 mspec runs need to pass properties through -T argument
    for compilation, etc
    JRUBY-2894 When spec runs fail, Ant is not terminating with a
    failure message
    JRUBY-2899 Using JavaEmbedUtils.rubyToJava causes problems when
    passing RubyObject-derived parameters back in to Ruby code
    JRUBY-2903 Allow implementing Java interfaces with underscored
    method names
    JRUBY-2905 NoMethodError does not give a useful message when thrown
    in BSF
    JRUBY-2906 IOError message is garbled when java.io.IOException
    message is multi-byte character.
    JRUBY-2907 method_missing invocation paths end up boxing arguments
    twice, among other inefficiencies
    JRUBY-2910 Object#send is not specific-arity
    JRUBY-2915 Exception construction performance is poor
    JRUBY-2918 jruby 1.1.3 + activescaffold 1.1.1 generating RJS error
    JRUBY-2919 Time.-(Time) does not include microseconds and is off by 10
    JRUBY-2923 Eliminate (unknown) from trace elements
    JRUBY-2924 JMX support added leaks memory like crazy
    JRUBY-2927 Calling interface method on specific instance from Java
    doesn't work.
    JRUBY-2928 Same issue with hashCode and toString for Interfaces.
    JRUBY-2929 Java Integration with regards to arrays of classes are broken
    JRUBY-2931 Templater error causes merb-gen (0.9.4 and trunk) to fail
    on JRuby 1.1.3
    JRUBY-2932 Move static soft reference timezone cache to be
    runtime-specific cache to remove complexity of dealing with soft references
    JRUBY-2938 Calling JavaUtil.convertJavaToUsableRubyObject throws
    AssertionError
    JRUBY-2943 Memory leak in closure coercion
    JRUBY-2944 Java caller gets null when calling a method on a Ruby
    object implementing an interface method declared to return Object[], and
    the Ruby object returns an array of Ruby objects subclass of Hash
    converted with #to_java
    JRUBY-2946 New invokers attempt to access argument list of
    non-overloaded methods with incorrect arity
    JRUBY-2947 Multidimensional array conversion broke in recent Java
    integration refactoring

    Thomas Enebo, Aug 28, 2008

  2. Thomas Enebo

    James Britt Guest

    Thomas Enebo wrote:
    > The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.1.4!
    >
    > Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    > Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/
    >
    > JRuby 1.1.4 is the fourth point release of JRuby 1.1. The fixes in this
    > release are primarily obvious compatibility problems and performance
    > enhancements. Our goal is to put out point releases more frequently for
    > the next several months (about 3-4 weeks a release). We want a more
    > rapid release cycle to better address issues brought up by users of JRuby.

    Thanks for continued kick-ass work!

    --
    James Britt

    www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

    James Britt, Aug 28, 2008

  3. Thomas Enebo

    Bill Walton Guest

    James Britt wrote:

    > Thanks for continued kick-ass work!

    +1. The work you guys are doing is, IMHO, the real key to Ruby's acceptance
    in the Corporate IT domain. That's important, at least to me, because it's
    what'll drive real growth in paychecks_for_writing_Ruby!

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Bill Walton, Aug 28, 2008