[ANN} Komodo 3.5.1 -- a professional Ruby IDE

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_14164_11185535.1133465084273

Yesterday, ActiveState released Komodo
3.5.1<http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/>,
an IDE for dynamic languages. This version fully supports Ruby on all
platforms (the previous version was not available on Windows). I just
blogged about it here:

http://blog.curthibbs.us/articles/2005/12/01/activestate-releases-ruby-ide

Curt

------=_Part_14164_11185535.1133465084273--

Christer Nilsson

I've tried it on Win XP. It's terribly slow, one minute just to see my
login form. Am I doing something wrong, or is this expected ?

Komodo User's Guide says:

Ruby on Rails applications can be debugged locally or remotely just like
any other ruby application. However, since much of the Rails framework
has to run within the debugger, the process is normally slower than with
a standalone ruby program.

Will it execute faster using a remote debugger?

Christer

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

--

Thats just the way it works. It takes forever between page loads
because it has to load the rails framework, your rails app and

Cheers-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
(e-mail address removed)

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_3715_32511020.1133557938790

I've tried it on Win XP. It's terribly slow, one minute just to see my
login form. Am I doing something wrong, or is this expected ?

Yes, I noticed this, too... running programs in debug mode is slow (slower
than the debugger in ArachnoRuby or Eclipse/RDT). I'm not sure why, though.

Komodo User's Guide says:
Ruby on Rails applications can be debugged locally or remotely just like
any other ruby application. However, since much of the Rails framework
has to run within the debugger, the process is normally slower than with
a standalone ruby program.

Will it execute faster using a remote debugger?

I haven't tried this, I wouldn't expect it to be any faster.

Curt

------=_Part_3715_32511020.1133557938790--

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_3763_15441439.1133558108541

I thought Komodo used to support code completion drop-downs... is this
not the case anymore? Or only in PHP and not Ruby?

AE
http://frugalprogrammer.com

It does this in Ruby, too. But only if it knows what the type/class of a
variable is. So if I have

test =3D Array.new
temp =3D "test string"

You'll get the code assist on these two variables. But if all you have is:

def my_method(value)
end

You won't get code assist on "value".

Curt

------=_Part_3763_15441439.1133558108541--

Christer Nilsson

I'm looking forward to your comparison, Curt.
What debuggers are available at the moment, for Ruby and for Rails ?
Radrails is quite good, but still lacks the debugger. And it's really
random trying to start the server.

Is it really necessary for Komodo to try to debug ALL of the librarys ?

Christer

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_6606_21772226.1133581717684

I'm looking forward to your comparison, Curt.
What debuggers are available at the moment, for Ruby and for Rails ?

Komodo, ArachnoRuby, Eclipse/RDT, FreeRIDE. There's probably more, but thes=
are the ones I know about.

Curt

Radrails is quite good, but still lacks the debugger. And it's really
random trying to start the server.

Is it really necessary for Komodo to try to debug ALL of the librarys ?

Christer

------=_Part_6606_21772226.1133581717684--

Wayne Vucenic

Hi Christer,
I've tried it on Win XP. It's terribly slow, one minute just to see my
login form. Am I doing something wrong, or is this expected ?

I'd give ArachnoRuby a try: http://www.ruby-ide.com
(there's a 30 day free trial version.)

It's by far the fastest Ruby debugger I've seen. I've used it to do
Rails debugging, and it runs quickly enough to be quite usable.

Wayne Vucenic
No Bugs Software
"Ruby and C++ Contract Programming in Silicon Valley"

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_3881_646760.1133870104490

Hi Christer,

I'd give ArachnoRuby a try: http://www.ruby-ide.com
(there's a 30 day free trial version.)

It's by far the fastest Ruby debugger I've seen. I've used it to do
Rails debugging, and it runs quickly enough to be quite usable.

I can confirm that the ArachnoRuby debugger is faster than Komodo's debugge=
(all the other stuff is about the same speed).

Curt

curt.hibbs said:
I can confirm that the ArachnoRuby debugger is faster than Komodo's
debugger
(all the other stuff is about the same speed).

Curt

I compared ArachnoRuby with Komodo, using my solution for RubyQuiz #57.
ArachnoRuby was 197 times faster !

Debugging with ArachnoRuby seems to be about 50% slower than direct
execution, which is completely acceptable.

Thank you Wayne, for pointing out ArachnoRuby. Their web page wasn't
very convincing, but the numbers above are.

Christer

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_5185_12592815.1133877452315

Thanks for the numbers. I had not actually timed it, but I knew there was a
speed difference.

Curt

I compared ArachnoRuby with Komodo, using my solution for RubyQuiz #57.
ArachnoRuby was 197 times faster !

Debugging with ArachnoRuby seems to be about 50% slower than direct
execution, which is completely acceptable.

Thank you Wayne, for pointing out ArachnoRuby. Their web page wasn't
very convincing, but the numbers above are.

Christer

------=_Part_5185_12592815.1133877452315--

Wayne Vucenic

Hi Christer,

I compared ArachnoRuby with Komodo, using my solution for RubyQuiz #57.
ArachnoRuby was 197 times faster !

Thank you Wayne, for pointing out ArachnoRuby.

You're very welcome!
Their web page wasn't very convincing, but the numbers above are.

I believe ArachnoRuby development is currently focused on enhancing
the product rather than doing PR/Website stuff. So the product is
excellent, but the website doesn't fully convey that.

I think I've tried every Ruby IDE available on Windows (including some
lesser known ones like Mondrian), and ArachnoRuby is what I've chosen
to use.

I earn (part of) my living programming in Ruby, and I simply wouldn't
be able to do much of this work without ArachnoRuby. Sometimes in my
work I have a Ruby script that takes an hour to run, which gets some
weird error near the end of the run. Before ArachnoRuby I simply
couldn't debug these scripts, as in the other debuggers it would have
taken days to get to the point of reproducing the error. So there
were many projects I couldn't even attempt in Ruby, because I knew
that if I had a problem I might not be able to effectively debug it.

I've been using ArachroRuby for well over a year. Sometimes I use it
8+ hours a day, 5+ days a week. It's never let me down. It is still
in beta, so there are occasional glitches, but they're pretty minor.=20
It used to crash at times (that's become pretty infrequent lately),
but when this happened I'd just restart it. It would automatically
re-open the files I'd had open, and I'd pick up where I left off. I
only lost code I'd typed once or twice, and this was never more than a
line or so. Not a big deal.

Two of the features I like a lot are the Ruby Gems browser (Tools
menu, then "Ruby Gems Browser...") which makes RubyGems so much easier
to work with than the usual command line tools,

and the Ruby Class browser (Tools menu, then "Ruby Class
Browser..."). Currently the class browser only works with the classes
in Ruby and in the standard library, but in the future you'll be able
to add your own classes to it.

(I have no financial or other connection with ArachnoRuby, except as a
_very_ satisfied user and beta tester.)

Wayne

Hank Gong

------=_Part_4960_23203661.1133906374894

Hi, did you try the Ruby editor RDE?
What's your feeling with that? Currently I'm using RDE, I think it's not
bad...
Most important thing is that it's free!!!

Hank

[...]

Hi Hank,

Hi, did you try the Ruby editor RDE?
What's your feeling with that? Currently I'm using RDE, I think it's not
bad...

Yes, I used RDE for a year or more before ArachnoRuby was available. =20
It was OK for its time, but the debugger was just soooo slooooow. It
was RDE that I was using when in my earlier post I mentioned there
were projects that I just couldn't do in Ruby because I wouldn't be
able to debug them.

When ArachnoRuby came out I switched from RDE and I've never regretted it.

Wayne

Florian Groß

Curt said:
Komodo, ArachnoRuby, Eclipse/RDT, FreeRIDE. There's probably more, but these
are the ones I know about.

What about ruby-breakpoint? There's no graphical front end just yet, but
I would still consider it a debugger. :)

basi

As a total noobie, I am still unfamiliar with Ruby syntax. ArachnoRuby
tells you if the line is syntactically malformed (sometimes too
eagerly!) and you fix the line before compilingt Saves time. At this
point, this is ArachnoRuby's selling point for me. When it reaches 1.0,
and I'm convinced Ruby is my next programming language (and it looks
like that is becoming a certainty -- the user group is outstandingly
helpful and very knowledgeable!), I'll get me a registered copy.
basi

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_4408_15508828.1133920928065

As a total noobie, I am still unfamiliar with Ruby syntax. ArachnoRuby
tells you if the line is syntactically malformed (sometimes too
eagerly!) and you fix the line before compilingt Saves time. At this
point, this is ArachnoRuby's selling point for me. When it reaches 1.0,
and I'm convinced Ruby is my next programming language (and it looks
like that is becoming a certainty -- the user group is outstandingly
helpful and very knowledgeable!), I'll get me a registered copy.
basi

Yes, this is a nice feature. It should be noted that Eclipse/RDT and Komod=
both do this as well.

Curt

------=_Part_4408_15508828.1133920928065--

Hank Gong

------=_Part_9126_24860044.1133931685150

Oh, I c. I didn't make big Ruby program yet!
Could you tell me how big was your program? RDE can not handle it because
the debug speed is too slow?

Hank

Christer Nilsson

Wayne!

I agree with your comment on Arachno. It's amazing that one person,
Lothar, can achieve so much.

Could you please explain slimeline and debugger quick mode ?
Have you tried Arachno in a Rails project ?

Christer