ANN: Lantern 1.0

Frederic Laurent

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce Lantern 1.0 [1].
Lantern is an OpenSource software which allows users to load XML documents
and then test XPath [2] expressions and functions.

The features of Lantern comply to the following:
- to be a simple and lightweight software which does nothing but XPath testing;
- to produce an immediate graphical result (selected nodes and context
node are highlighted);
- to be namespaces aware;
- to allow the user to set a context node, thus to test expressions
related to this node;
- to embed a short documentation about XPath;
- to allow the user to test XPath functions easily;
- to display the XML document in the same format as it is stored in the
file (ie: not as an ugly tree widget);
- to be available as an open source, platform independent software.

Lantern addresses :
- XPath and XSLT developers who would like to find the right XPath
expression without developing test cases,
- trainers who wish to illustrate their course with a graphical tool.

Enjoy!

[1] http://lantern.sourceforge.net
[2] http://w3.org/TR/xpath