ANN: Leo 4.1 beta 1 An outlining editor

Edward K. Ream

Leo 4.1 beta 1 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

This is the first official release of the reorganized 4.1 code base. The
code appears solid, and has not been widely tested. Please use caution when
using this code.

N.B. By default Leo 4.1 creates .leo files that can not be read by older
versions of Leo. Please read the following carefully.

Highlights of 4.1 beta 1:
------------------------

* Leo 4.1 includes several new commands:
- script-based find/change commands: very powerful and flexible.
- Hoist & DeHoist commands for viewing parts of an outline.
- Check Outline command finds user clone mistakes.
* New configuration settings:
- use_gnx specifies whether .leo files use integers as indices:
use_gnx = 0 makes .leo files compatible with previous versions of Leo.
use_gnx = 1 makes .leo files cvs-friendly
- config_encoding specifies the encoding of leoConfig.txt.
* Several significant code-level changes:
- The 4.1 code base has been reorganized to support gui plugins.
An example wx_gui plugin is partly functional.
- Created a flexible framework for creating & running regression tests.
This framework takes full advantage of outlines to organize tests.
- app.forceShutdown now works when called from plugins.
- Fixed several long-standing bugs. More fixes are coming.

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458
CVS: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3458
Wiki: http://leo.hd1.org/

Edward K. Ream
November 7, 2003

Jegenye 2001 Bt

Leo is a killer Python application! I wholeheartedly recommend it to
everyone.
Now Leo gives hope I will be able to clean up a daunting piece of mess, a
rather complex hack-work.
Thanks, Edward! :)

Best,
Miklós

Edward K. Ream

Leo is a killer Python application!

Thanks for these kind words :) Working on Leo is one of the great joys of
my life.

Edward

Tim Churches

Leo 4.1 beta 1 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

This is the first official release of the reorganized 4.1 code base. The
code appears solid, and has not been widely tested. Please use caution when
using this code.

A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or files names in
your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
interface.

Otherwise Leo looks great.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

Edward K. Ream

My reader didn't give me the text of your message or the attachment. There
are definite problems with 4.1 beta 1 on Linux. Please send me your bug
reports at the email address below. Thanks, and my apologies for these
problems.

Edward

Tim Churches

My reader didn't give me the text of your message or the attachment. There
are definite problems with 4.1 beta 1 on Linux. Please send me your bug
reports at the email address below. Thanks, and my apologies for these
problems.

Edward
Edward K. Ream email: (e-mail address removed)
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines

I think this may relate to my reply, which is reproduced below. I did
send it to your address but received an automated reply asking me to
visit a Web page, register there and then give three good reasons why my
message should be forwarded to you. You have to be joking if you expect
anyone to bother doing that!
A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or filenames
in your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
interface.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

David Konerding

--=-ay9WZH8rLWdKtLGxycO8

A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or files names in
your Leo distribution - use dashes or underscores if you need a
separator. Spaces annoy the hell out of anyone using a command line
interface.

Not me... whenever I try to TAB-complete in bash and the matching file has spaces it just adds the quotes or the \
as necessary.

Dave

Edward K. Ream

A small request: please don't use spaces in directory or files names in
Yes, I do see spaces in the top-level directory of the zip files. I'm not
sure where that name gets generated in the install script: I'll see if I
can eliminate the spaces in future releases.

Edward

JanC

Tim Churches said:
I think this may relate to my reply, which is reproduced below. I did
send it to your address but received an automated reply asking me to
visit a Web page, register there and then give three good reasons why my
message should be forwarded to you. You have to be joking if you expect
anyone to bother doing that!

Quoted your reply in plain text.
OE has problems with the pgp-signature attachment you use...

BTW: most people don't like attachments in text newsgroups, and the mailing
list is gatewayed to comp.lang.python ...