ANN: Leo 4.1 final

Edward K. Ream

Leo 4.1 final is now available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

Leo 4.1 final is the culmination of four months of work. No
significant bugs have been reported since 4.1 rc4. Several people have
contributed nifty plugins recently. See leoPlugins.leo for full
details.

The highlights version 4.1:
---------------------------
- Leo runs in batch mode when invoked with --script aScriptFile.py
- Leo supports Unicode characters (e.g. Chinese) in path and file names.
- @directives and section references are now valid when executing scripts.
- @ignored and orphan nodes now valid in @file-nosent trees.
- Script-based find/change commands.
- Check Outline command.
- Hoist & DeHoist commands.
- A new gui-agnostic architecture: useful for batch mode and unit tests.
- Several new configuration settings.
- Many new unit tests.
- A host of bug fixes.

Quotes of the month
-------------------

"I'm a newbie to Leo(a couple of weeks) and I feel addicted to
programming again...in fact it has resurrected a dead project of mine :)
The outline has proven most liberating in terms of testing ideas out.
Thanks a lot!" -- anon

"Wow, wow, and wow. I just started using Leo about a month ago..Now I
finally understand how to use clones and I realized that this is
exactly how I want to organize my information. Multiple views on my
data, fully interlinkable just like my thoughts...Thanks for a great
tool! -- anon

"I *LIKE* it; I was amazed at how [different the Leo] experience was
compared to flat-filing. It was almost Forth-like in the way that it
was possible to work top-down or bottom-up at will (I believe this is
the key to its strength, btw)." --Tarvin Rhodes

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458
CVS: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3458
Wiki: http://leo.hd1.org/

Edward K. Ream
February 20, 2004

max khesin

Hi Ed, people,
I am aclually trying to set up a Leo-based documentation project right
now (though I am pretty new to it). Are there any previous case-studies
on people doing documentation? In particular I am interested in being
able to embed Leo node links directly in another node's text (for
automatic HTML generation). I know I can do it through programming (or
XSLT...brrrr....), but I am really trying avoid re-inventing the wheel
due to the project's time constraints. Any info would help.

thanks,
max.
[...]

I am actually trying to set up a Leo-based documentation project right
now (though I am pretty new to it). Are there any previous case-studies
on people doing documentation?

The new rst2.py plugin might be a real good place to start. See the
documentation in the node called "Description of rst2 by Steve Zatz"

The short form:

"""If a headline starts with @rst <filename>, double-clicking on it will
write a file in outline order, with the headlines converted to
reStructuredText
section headings.

If the name of the <filename> has the extension .html, .htm or .tex, and if
you have
docutils installed, it will generate HTML or LaTeX, respectively."""
In particular I am interested in being
able to embed Leo node links directly in another node's text (for
automatic HTML generation). I know I can do it through programming (or
XSLT...brrrr....), but I am really trying avoid re-inventing the wheel
due to the project's time constraints. Any info would help.

I suspect that you can do almost anything you want with rst2.py. I'll be
posting Steve's own examples on Leo's web site today:

- wxListManager.leo: the "source code" for the documentation.
- listManagerDocs.html: the html output created by rst2.py plugin.
- several stylesheets for use by generated files.

When you see listManagerDocs.html I think you will be impressed with the
kinds of things that can be done with Leo+rst+docutils+(optional)silver
city+web standards.

Thanks for this question. Steve's work deserves much more attention than it
has gotten so far.

Edward