ANN: Leo 4.1 rc1 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Edward K. Ream, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Leo 4.1 release candidate 1 is now available at:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

    The highlights of this release:
    -------------------------------
    - Leo runs in batch mode when invoked with --script aScriptFile.py
    - Leo supports Unicode characters (e.g. Chinese) in path and file names.
    - @directives and section references are now valid when executing scripts.
    - @ignored and orphan nodes now valid in @file-nosent trees.
    - Script-based find/change commands.
    - Check Outline command.
    - Hoist & DeHoist commands.
    - A new gui-agnostic architecture: useful for batch mode and unit tests.
    - Several new configuration settings.
    - Many new unit tests.
    - A host of bug fixes.

    Quotes of the month
    -------------------
    "I like Leo more the more I use it...It's an unexpected pleasure to
    see my (linearly written) code outlined in Leo. I can't wait to use
    Leo to start a new project, going from outline to code...Thanks again
    for providing the computing community with such a fine piece of
    software." -- Jim Shapiro, Ph.D.

    "If you think you have used all possible programmer's editors, but
    have not yet tried Leo, you are wrong...I rate Leo as a 'must have'
    for Python programmers. The code makes for a good read."
    -- John Tobler http://weblogs.asp.net/Jtobler/

    What is Leo?
    ------------
    - A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
    - A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
    - A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
    of projects within a single outline.
    - Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
    - Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
    - Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

    Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
    Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

    Links:
    ------
    Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
    Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458
    CVS: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3458
    Wiki: http://leo.hd1.org/

    Edward K. Ream
    December 15, 2003
    Edward K. Ream email:
    Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines

    Edward K. Ream, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Edward K. Ream

    Miklós Guest

    Re: Leo 4.1 rc1 released

    Thanks, Edward for this really great piece of software!
    A while back I managed to clean up (a bit at least) such a mess with Leo I
    hadn't imagined I could ever...

    Now my nagging:

    While the edit pane is fine I do want my favourite Vim... Is this possible
    somehow? I mean to embed Vim in the window..

    Best and many thanks,
    Miklós

    Miklós, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Re: Leo 4.1 rc1 released

    > While the edit pane is fine I do want my favorite Vim... Is this possible
    > somehow? I mean to embed Vim in the window..

    This is a reasonable thing to want to do. There are several possible
    approaches:

    1. Run Leo from Vim. This is now possible in Leo's batch mode. When
    executed from the command line Leo uses a "null gui" so nothing gets put on
    the screen. You can optionally turn off all of Leo's log output, which
    would otherwise go to the console window.

    2. Implement scintilla/scite using Leo's experimental wxPython plugin. Not
    quite the same as Vim.

    3. Use something like pymacs to communicate between Emacs and Leo. This is
    in the daydream stage. Leo now has a Vim/Scite SIG and I welcome comments,
    ideas and code there.

    Edward

    Edward K. Ream, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Edward K. Ream

    Miklós Guest

    Re: Leo 4.1 rc1 released

    Edward,

    I've just downloaded v4.1-rc1 (I was running 4.0) and there's that new vim
    plugin which talks to vim running as a server..
    This will finely do for me now even though the options you suggested are
    also nice. I will put up with that Vim is not running in the editor pane
    proper but in a
    seperate shell window.. That would be possibly even cooler but now I'm
    really happy with this. :)
    My Vim shortcuts + my syntax highlights + my Vim macros + power editing
    capabilities in Vim + Leo outlines to get things organized and managable...
    Vow!

    I wish my other wishes were fulfilled in such a timely manner. ;)

    Leo (and Edward, its father) rulez!!! Thanks a lot!

    One more question: Where's the Leo file format documented? (say, with a DTD
    but a semantic description would be possibly better) Have I missed this
    somewhere?

    Truly* yours,
    Miklós

    * and I mean it

    PS: Hey, people out there, you can't imagine how neat and incredibly useful
    this outlining editor thing, called Leo, is if you don't try it yourself...

    Miklós, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Re: Leo 4.1 rc1 released

    > Where's the Leo file format documented? (say, with a DTD
    > but a semantic description would be possibly better) Have I missed this
    > somewhere?

    Good question.

    See Users Guide:Appendices:XML file format in LeoDocs.leo for a discussion
    of Leo's file format. This is out-of-date, though it is a start. This also
    contains a DTD, which a) is _way_ out-of-date and b) has never been checked
    and so almost certainly has syntactic and/or semantic "bugs".

    With these caveats, Leo's file format has remained pretty stable. The heart
    of the format is the <vnodes> element containing possibly nested <v>
    elements, and the <tnodes> element containing a list of (non-nested) <t>
    elements corresponding to "tx" attributes in <t> elements.

    The last time I looked (a long time ago) xml spy could properly associate
    <t> elements with <v> elements.

    N.B. <v> and <t> elements in .leo files correspond directly to vnodes and
    tnodes in memory when Leo is running. For full information about these see
    @file leoNodes.py in LeoPy.leo. For full information about exactly what Leo
    is doing when reading and writing files, see @file leoFileCommands.py in
    LeoPy.leo.

    Oh yes, there is one more piece of the puzzle. <v> elements corresponding
    to @file nodes now contain tnodeList attributes that are a list of gnx's.
    The tnodeList attribute allows the read code in @file leoAtFile.py to
    recreate the order in which nodes should appear in the outline. The
    tnodeList attribute is a list of gnx's: global node indices. See the
    nodeIndices class in leoNodes.py for details. A gnx has the form
    id.timestamp.n where .n is elided unless two nodes would have the same
    id.timestamp field.

    The following sections of LeoDocs.leo Users Guide:Customizing Leo contain
    new conventions that allow plugins to extend this format by adding
    attributes to <v> and <t> elements:

    - Extending the format of .leo files
    - Attaching temporary attributes to vnodes and tnodes
    - Recommended conventions for plugins

    HTH. I should probably review the existing documentation. I would be glad
    to answer any more questions you have here, or even better on Leo's
    SourceForge forums.

    Edward K. Ream, Dec 16, 2003