ANN: Leo 4.3-a3 Outlining IDE

Discussion in 'Python' started by Edward K. Ream, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Leo 4.3 alpha 3 is now available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

    Leo 4.3 is the culmination of more than five months of work. This alpha 3
    release corrects various bugs in Leo's core and in plugins. This is the
    first release that include an installer for MacOSX.

    The defining features of Leo 4.3:
    ---------------------------------
    1. Leo now stores options in @settings trees, that is, outlines whose
    headline is '@settings'. When opening a .leo file, Leo looks for
    @settings trees not only in the outline being opened but also in
    various leoSettings.leo files.

    Users can create arbitrarily complex user options with @settings
    trees. Leo settings outlines are, in fact, infinitely more flexible
    and powerful than any scheme based on flat text. Readers of Python's
    configParser shootout take note.

    2. The Preferences command temporarily replaces the outline pane with
    an outline showing all the @settings trees in effect. The Preferences
    command also replaces the body pane with a "settings pane". This
    settings pane allows you to change the settings selected in the
    outline pane using standard gui widgets.

    3. Leo's read/write code in leoAtFile.py has been rewritten to support
    user-defined tangling and untangling. This is a major cleanup of
    Leo's core.

    4. Leo now boasts an excellent Plugins Manager plugin. This plugin
    enables and disables plugins automatically and tells you everything
    you need to know about each plugin. This plugin also lets you download
    plugins from Leo's cvs site.

    5. You can install third-party extensions in Leo's extensions
    directory. Leo will attempt to import such extensions from the
    extensions directory when normal imports fail. The distribution contains
    Python Mega Widgets in the extensions directory.

    What people are saying about Leo
    --------------------------------
    "[Leo] should either replace or greatly augment the development tools
    that I use." -- Zak Greant

    "Leo is a marriage of outlining and literate programming. Pure genius.
    The main reason I am impressed with this tool is that it doesn't
    affect your choice of tools. You can use whatever IDE for whatever
    language and switch back and forth between Leo and it." -- Austin
    King

    "Leo is the best IDE that I have had the pleasure to use. I have been
    using it now for about 2--3 months. It has totally changed not only
    the way that I program, but also the way that I store and organize all
    of the information that I need for the job that I do." -- Ian Mulvany

    "I only have one week of Leo experience but I already know it will be
    my default IDE/project manager...people complain about the lack of a
    project manager for the free/standard Python IDE's like Idle. Leo
    clearly solves that problem and in a way that commercial tools can't
    touch." -- Marshall Parsons

    "[Leo has] become my main development platform, and I do this for a
    living. -- Nicola Larosa

    "I have been using Leo for about 3 weeks and I hardly use my other
    programming editor anymore...I find it easy and enjoyable to use. I
    plan to adopt it as my presentation tool for code reviews." -- Jim
    Vickroy

    "I'm absolutely astounded by the power of such a simple idea! It works
    great and I can immediately see the benefits of using Leo in place of
    the standard flat file editor." -- Tom Lee, <>

    I think you're really showing what open source can do and your current
    trajectory puts you on track to kick Emacs into the dustbin of
    computing history. -- Dan Winkler

    More quotes at: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/testimonials.html

    What makes Leo special?
    -----------------------
    - Leo's outlines add a new dimension to programming.
    - Leo shows you your code and data the way _you_ want to see them.
    - Leo extends, completes and simplifies literate programming.
    - Leo's script buttons bring scripts to data.

    What is Leo?
    ------------
    - A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
    - A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
    - A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
    of projects within a single outline.
    - Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
    - Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
    - Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

    Leo requires Python 2.2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.4 or above.
    Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

    Links:
    ------
    Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
    Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458
    CVS: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3458
    Quotes: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/testimonials.html
    Wiki: http://leo.hd1.org/

    Edward K. Ream
    Edward K. Ream email:
    Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines

    Edward K. Ream, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Re: Leo 4.3-a3 Outlining IDE

    I really only posted this once to comp.lang.python. The duplicate appears
    to be the work of the Department of Redundancy Department.

    Edward

    Edward K. Ream, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Re: Leo 4.3-a3 Outlining IDE

    FYI,

    After install and you run it for the first time (and if it asks for your
    initials), then expect the plug-in manager to throw a bad window name error
    in TK.

    You must exit, then restart Leo before running the plugin manager after the
    initial install.

    --
    Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

    Brad Clements, Feb 26, 2005