ANN: Leo 4.3 final

Edward K. Ream

Leo 4.3 final is now available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

Leo 4.3 is here after almost five months of work.

The defining features of Leo 4.3:
---------------------------------
1. Leo now stores options in @settings trees, that is, outlines whose
headline is '@settings'. When opening a .leo file, Leo looks for @settings
trees not only in the outline being opened but also in various
leoSettings.leo files. Users can create arbitrarily complex user options
with @settings trees.

2. The Preferences command temporarily replaces the outline pane with an
outline showing all the @settings trees in effect. The Preferences command
also replaces the body pane with a "settings pane". This settings pane
allows you to change the settings selected in the outline pane using
standard gui widgets.

3. Leo now stores recent files information in .leoRecentFiles.txt files.

4. Leo's read/write code in leoAtFile.py has been rewritten to support
user-defined tangling and untangling. This is a major cleanup of Leo's core.

5. Leo now contains an excellent Plugins Manager plugin. This plugin enables
and disables plugins automatically and tells you everything you need to know
about each plugin. This plugin also lets you download plugins from Leo's cvs
site.

6. You can install third-party extensions in Leo's extensions directory. Leo
will attempt to import such extensions from the extensions directory when
normal imports fail. The distribution contains Python Mega Widgets in the
extensions directory.

What people are saying about Leo
--------------------------------
"Another day, another breakthrough using Leo--now I realize Leo is the best
URL bookmark manager there is. No more bookmarks menus or favorites lists
inside the browser for me. With the @url directive I can just double click
on the URL to open it in my browser. Leo lets me arrange the URLs in a
hierarchy (or multiple hierarchies), attach notes to them, save clippings of
things I read on the sites. It's sooo much better than anything the browsers
have built in and it lets me easily use different browsers on different
platforms and different machines (try that with the browsers' built-in
bookmark managers)." -- Dan Winkler

"I am an amateur photographer. I use plain old 35mm. film for my pictures.
Over the weekend, I used Leo to organize my lists of pictures. It is quite
helpful--I can have separate nodes for pictures I have enlarged, as well as
pictures I have submitted to our local camera club. Thanks!" -- Rich Reis

"Cloning is pure genius!... Leo's cloning facility, allows me to create
several views on the CFA course material. My main view follows the
prescribed study guide. Another view is organized like the textbooks. Yet
another gives me a glossary of terms. And when I'm done, I'll have some nice
libraries...I can re-use later in other projects." -- Michael Manti

More quotes at: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/testimonials.html

What makes Leo special?
-----------------------
- Leo's outlines add a new dimension to programming.
- Leo shows you your code and data the way _you_ want to see them.
- Leo extends, completes and simplifies literate programming.
- Leo's script buttons bring scripts to data.

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.4 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458