ANN: Leo 4.4a1 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Edward K. Ream, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Leo 4.4 alpha 1 is now available at:

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458&package_id=29106
    To learn about Leo, see: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/intro.html

    Leo 4.4 adds an Emacs-like minibuffer and support for all frequently-used
    Emacs commands. Emacs users will be able to choose key bindings compatible
    with their present finger habits. Eventually, Vim users will be able to do
    the same.

    This is definitely an alpha release; several minibuffer commands are buggy.
    However, this release also significantly improves Leo's error recovery
    capabilities. This may be the most robust version of Leo ever released.

    The highlights of Leo 4.4 alpha 1:
    ----------------------------------
    - Support for all frequently-used Emacs commands, including cursor and
    screen movement, basic character, word and paragraph manipulation, and
    commands to manipulate buffers, the kill ring, regions and rectangles.

    - An Emacs-like minibuffer: you can now execute any command by name from the
    minibuffer, both the new Emacs-style commands and traditional Leo commands.

    - You can define key bindings for all commands, including the new minibuffer
    commands, using @shortcuts nodes in leoSettings.leo files. You can define
    multiple sets of key bindings and switch between those sets easily.

    - Several fixes to the 4.3 code base.

    Coming in later releases of Leo 4.4:
    ------------------------------------
    - Support for 'mouseless Leo'. There will be commands to manipulate all
    aspects of Leo using commands, so your fingers will never have to leave the
    keyboard.

    - Support for Vim and other 'plain-key' command modes.

    Links:
    ------
    Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
    Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458
    CVS: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3458
    Quotes: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/testimonials.html

    Edward K. Ream
    October 17, 2005
    Edward K. Ream email:
    Edward K. Ream, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Edward K. Ream

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Edward K. Ream" <> writes:
    > - Support for all frequently-used Emacs commands, including cursor and
    > screen movement, basic character, word and paragraph manipulation, and
    > commands to manipulate buffers, the kill ring, regions and rectangles.

    Do you support re-search-backward (i.e. search backward for a regexp)?
    How do you do it?
    Paul Rubin, Oct 17, 2005

  3. In article <LgP4f.7793$>,
    "Edward K. Ream" <> wrote:

    [Edward's announcement]

    Thanks for adding Emacs functionality. I really like the idea of
    literate programming and have tried to get into Leo but believe it or
    not, I haven't been able to get into it due to my muscle memory for
    Emacs keystrokes!

    I would keep installing Leo only to uninstall it afterwards because I
    would get frustrated.

    Another welcome change is complete keyboard control.

    Cheers,
    Mahesh
    Mahesh Padmanabhan, Oct 18, 2005