[ANN] LibXML-Ruby 0.3.6

Ross Bamford

This is great news - does the library include bindings for libxslt as
well?

We're working separately on bringing the libxslt bindings up to date in
the same way. We decided to concentrate on a first libxml release before
moving on to that.

I'm hoping to get baseline code into CVS this week, with a release to
follow ASAP.

Dominic Sisneros

------=_Part_425_11486169.1140913707248

What is the difference between this and xml-smart. It looks like xml-smart
has bindings for libxml also.
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xml-smart
http://www.pri.univie.ac.at/~mangler/ruby-xml-smart/

We're working separately on bringing the libxslt bindings up to date in
the same way. We decided to concentrate on a first libxml release before
moving on to that.

I'm hoping to get baseline code into CVS this week, with a release to
follow ASAP.

------=_Part_425_11486169.1140913707248--

Ross Bamford

I am having some trouble with building.

1) I have two libiconvs installed, one supplied with my OS in
/usr and another in /opt/local. Using
--with-iconv-dir=/opt/local fails to locate libiconv, but
--with-iconv-dir=/usr works. I made a change to extconf.rb:

$ diff libxml-ruby-0.3.6.orig/ext/xml/extconf.rb libxml-ruby-0.3.6/
ext/xml/extconf.rb
45,46c45,49
< unless have_library('iconv','iconv_open') or have_library
('c','iconv_open') or
< have_library('recode','iconv_open')

I'm not sure about this - I'm still finding my way around some things
here, but I'm pretty sure we do need iconv_open(3) in libiconv. Does it
compile with this change?

I'm going to forward this as a possible change to the mailing list at
(e-mail address removed) .
2) You call two shell commands, xml2-config and xslt-config. I
have two versions of libxml2 and libxslt installed, so this
command is dependent on the correct command being in my PATH
before the other one. I am not sure what to do about this
problem.

If you are passing --with-xml2-<whatever> settings, you should be fine
to comment-out the lines that run those scripts (for both CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS). If that works for you I'll fix it with a default to the
dir_config and commit it.

(I'm still finding new stuff in mkmf so if I'm missing anything, please
let me know :))

Ross Bamford

What is the difference between this and xml-smart. It looks like xml-smart
has bindings for libxml also.
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xml-smart
http://www.pri.univie.ac.at/~mangler/ruby-xml-smart/

In all honesty, I've no idea. A quick glance suggests some differences
in API, I think this is a slightly thinner layer on top of LibXML2 but
then I could be entirely wrong...

I should mention that I'm just helping to maintain this code, it's been
around for some time...

Daniel Harple

I'm not sure about this - I'm still finding my way around some things
here, but I'm pretty sure we do need iconv_open(3) in libiconv.
Does it
compile with this change?

The problem is really strange. I have libiconv-1.9 installed in
/usr, and libiconv-1.10 installed in /opt/local. mkmf says
iconv_open(3) isn't available in v1.10, but it is. Have you
tested with libiconv-1.10? Was there ever a libiconv that did not
have iconv_open()?
If you are passing --with-xml2-<whatever> settings, you should be fine
to comment-out the lines that run those scripts (for both CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS). If that works for you I'll fix it with a default to the
dir_config and commit it.

I did this, and all unittests passed.

-- Daniel

Ross Bamford

The problem is really strange. I have libiconv-1.9 installed in
/usr, and libiconv-1.10 installed in /opt/local. mkmf says
iconv_open(3) isn't available in v1.10, but it is. Have you
tested with libiconv-1.10? Was there ever a libiconv that did not
have iconv_open()?

Hmm. The website lists 1.9.1 as the latest stable release. I need to
look more into this I think, but one thing you might try is specifying
--with-iconv-lib and --with-iconv-include separately, rather than
--with-iconv-dir.
I did this, and all unittests passed.

Thanks, I'll commit that fix tomorrow.