[ANN] Logging 0.1.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Pease, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. Tim Pease

    Tim Pease Guest

    SYNOPSIS

    Logging is a flexible logging library for use in Ruby programs based on the
    design of Java's log4j library. It features a hierarchical logging system,
    custom level names, multiple output destinations per log event, custom
    formatting, and more.

    Logging is intended to supersede the orphaned Log4r project.

    INSTALL

    To install:

    $ gem install logging

    A tarball is also available on the RubyForge project page:

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/logging/

    EXAMPLE

    require 'rubygems'
    require 'logging'
    include Logging

    log = Logger.new 'test'
    log.appenders = Appender.stdout
    log.level = 'info'

    log.debug 'debug message'
    log.info 'informational message'
    log.warn 'Danger! Danger! Will Robinson'
    log.error {
    # ... some very time consuming code goes here
    'this log message took a long time to construct'
    }
    log.fatal 'Die Die Die'

    The following lines are printed to STDOUT

    INFO test : informational message
    WARN test : Danger! Danger! Will Robinson
    ERROR test : this log message took a long time to construct
    FATAL test : Die Die Die

    NOTES

    Although Logging is intended to supersede Log4r, it is not a one-to-one
    replacement for the Log4r library. Most notably is the difference in name spaces
    -- Logging vs. Log4r. Other differences include renaming Log4r::Outputter to
    Logging::Appender and renaming Log4r::Formatter to Logging::Layout. These
    changes were meant to bring the Logging class names more in line with the Log4j
    class names.

    This is an alpha release, and as such it is not yet feature complete. Neither
    the YAML configuration nor the XML configuration have been incorporated into the
    Logging library. Not all the logging appenders have been incorporated into the
    Logging library either. If you would like to port any code from Log4r please
    contact me (contact info can be found in the gem specification).

    Tim Pease, Jan 15, 2007

  2. Tim Pease

    Tim Pease Guest

    On 1/15/07, Jonas Pfenniger <> wrote:
    > Yes ! A decent ruby logger. I was waiting for this since a long time.

    Hmmm ... I would download the code first and poke around ... kick the
    wheels. But thanks for the exuberance :)

    > Are you going to fix the syslog adapter ? In Log4r, when you used syslog, it
    > would change the error level and reporting methods. It's pretty annoying.

    Sure. The field is wide open at the moment. I'm looking for
    suggestions / requests from developers.

    My thought on syslog is to require a mapping from the user that maps
    the defined logging levels to the syslog logging levels. If the user
    has not defined any logging levels, then the syslog levels become the
    default (i.e. the current Log4r behavior).

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Jan 15, 2007

  3. Tim Pease

    Tim Pease Guest

    On 1/16/07, Jonas Pfenniger <> wrote:
    > 2007/1/15, Tim Pease <>:
    > >
    > > On 1/15/07, Jonas Pfenniger <> wrote:
    > > > Yes ! A decent ruby logger. I was waiting for this since a long time.
    > > >

    > > Hmmm ... I would download the code first and poke around ... kick the
    > > wheels. But thanks for the exuberance :)

    > No problem, I've tried to contact the Log4r developper regarding some bugs
    > and I'm happy that the project revives. I have a big project and once I've
    > added Log4r support, it became much easier to debug.
    >
    > > Are you going to fix the syslog adapter ? In Log4r, when you used syslog,
    > > it
    > > > would change the error level and reporting methods. It's pretty

    > > annoying.
    > > >

    > > Sure. The field is wide open at the moment. I'm looking for
    > > suggestions / requests from developers.
    > >
    > > My thought on syslog is to require a mapping from the user that maps
    > > the defined logging levels to the syslog logging levels. If the user
    > > has not defined any logging levels, then the syslog levels become the
    > > default (i.e. the current Log4r behavior).

    > Ok, I'll let you know on this. In the meantime, can you check why the
    > loggging gem is not available ? I think you should contact rubyforge people.
    > It's maybe related to the fact that somebody else already released a
    > logging.tgz file, as package names are locked to a project for security
    > reasons.

    They are doing some security audits / updates on RubyForge right now.
    Gems are not being migrated over for distribution until they are done
    with this. You can manually download the gem and install it if you
    would like to tinker.

    http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2870

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Jan 16, 2007
  4. Tim Pease

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 04:13 +0900, Jonas Pfenniger wrote:
    > Ok, I'll let you know on this. In the meantime, can you check why the
    > loggging gem is not available ? I think you should contact rubyforge people.
    > It's maybe related to the fact that somebody else already released a
    > logging.tgz file, as package names are locked to a project for security

    Nah, only gems are affected by the namespace thing since they are the
    only things for which RubyForge builds an index. All the other files
    are "scoped" by their project's name.

    Yours,

    Tom

    Tom Copeland, Jan 17, 2007
  5. Tim Pease

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 17:53 -0500, Tom Copeland wrote:
    > On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 04:13 +0900, Jonas Pfenniger wrote:
    > > Ok, I'll let you know on this. In the meantime, can you check why the
    > > loggging gem is not available ? I think you should contact rubyforge people.
    > > It's maybe related to the fact that somebody else already released a
    > > logging.tgz file, as package names are locked to a project for security

    > Nah, only gems are affected by the namespace thing since they are the
    > only things for which RubyForge builds an index. All the other files
    > are "scoped" by their project's name.

    By the way, I added a section to the RubyForge FAQ on this whole
    RubyForge gem index/namespace issue:

    http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.html#gemnamespace

    Comments/questions welcome,

    Yours,

    tom

    Tom Copeland, Jan 19, 2007
  6. Tim Pease

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 16:56 +0900, Jonas Pfenniger wrote:
    > > By the way, I added a section to the RubyForge FAQ on this whole
    > > RubyForge gem index/namespace issue:
    > >
    > > http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.html#gemnamespace
    > >
    > > Comments/questions welcome,

    > Thanks for all the time you took to solve that issue. Your solution looks
    > right

    Thanks! I'm just glad that security hole has been found and closed.

    Yours,

    Tom

    Tom Copeland, Jan 19, 2007