[ANN] Logging 0.7.0 (Quixotic Starfish)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Pease, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. Tim Pease

    Tim Pease Guest

    == Logging
    by Tim Pease
    http://logging.rubyforge.org
    (the "Quixotic Starfish" release)

    == Description

    Logging is a flexible logging library for use in Ruby programs based
    on the
    design of Java's log4j library. It features a hierarchical logging
    system,
    custom level names, multiple output destinations per log event, custom
    formatting, and more.

    This release addresses compatibility issues with Rails, seed
    improvements,
    and one or two minor tweaks and bug fixes. See the changes section
    for all
    the gory details. However, this release is not quite backwards
    compatible
    with the 0.6.* and earlier versions. The reason is the
    Logging::Logger#add
    method. It was reworked to semantically conform to the Ruby Standard
    Library's Logger#add method -- this provides the Rails compatibility.

    For users of earlier versions of logging, you will need to change any
    usage
    of the Logging::Logger#add method to use the new
    Logging::Logger#add_appenders method (it's the old "add" method
    renamed to "add_appenders").

    == Installation

    sudo gem install logging

    == What's Important

    Logging provides a few niceties
    1) a rolling file appender than can handle multiple processes logging
    to the same file
    2) a nice e-mail appender
    3) sending log messages to Growl (for those on the Mac platform)
    4) fine grained control over logging levels for specific classes

    == Changes

    1 major enhancement
    - Rails compatibility
    * renamed Logger#add method to Logger#add_appenders
    * renamed Logger#remove method to Logger#remove_appenders
    * renamed Logger#clear method to Logger#clear_appenders
    * added a new Logger#add method that conforms to the calling
    semantics of the Ruby stdlib Logger

    2 minor enhancements
    - Speed improvements and test coverage
    - Created a top-level Logging.init method that is used to
    define the default logging levels

    1 bug fix
    - Tweaked windows detection code

    == Fun Fact

    A pregnant goldfish is called a "twit".

    == Post Script

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Feb 13, 2008

  2. Tim Pease

    James Gray Guest

    On Feb 12, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Tim Pease wrote:

    > 1) a rolling file appender than can handle multiple processes logging
    > to the same file

    Forgive my being too lazy to look to night, but what does this mean?
    Would this feature make it possible to make something like Rails
    logging multiprocess safe?

    Obviously I only ask because this project looks freaking awesome Tim.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Gray, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Tim Pease

    Tim Pease Guest

    On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:22 PM, James Gray wrote:

    > On Feb 12, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Tim Pease wrote:
    >
    >> 1) a rolling file appender than can handle multiple processes logging
    >> to the same file

    > Forgive my being too lazy to look to night, but what does this
    > mean? Would this feature make it possible to make something like
    > Rails logging multiprocess safe?

    That is correct. Multiple Rails processes (i.e. mongrel clusters) can
    now safely log to the same file, have the file roll, and all the
    processes will use the newer log file.

    You can also use the Syslog appender in Logging and dump to the syslog
    service. This is good for collecting logs from multiple machines.

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Tim Pease

    Will Sargent Guest

    Re: Logging 0.7.0 (Quixotic Starfish)

    On Feb 13, 7:58 am, Tim Pease <> wrote:
    > On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:22 PM, James Gray wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 12, 2008, at 7:21 PM,TimPeasewrote:

    > >> 1) a rolling file appender than can handle multiple processes logging
    > >> to the same file

    > > Forgive my being too lazy to look to night, but what does this
    > > mean? Would this feature make it possible to make something like
    > > Rails logging multiprocess safe?

    > That is correct. Multiple Rails processes (i.e. mongrel clusters) can
    > now safely log to the same file, have the file roll, and all the
    > processes will use the newer log file.
    >
    > You can also use the Syslog appender in Logging and dump to the syslog
    > service. This is good for collecting logs from multiple machines.

    What's the best way to configure Rails to use Logging? Is there any
    documentation for setting it up?

    I looked at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoConfigureLogging
    but it only talks about log4r.

    Will.

    Will Sargent, Feb 21, 2008
  5. On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Tim Pease <> wrote:
    > == Logging
    > by Tim Pease
    > http://logging.rubyforge.org
    > (the "Quixotic Starfish" release)

    I see you are making use of the Ubuntu naming convention ;-)
    To automate that, you may want to try FireSomething:

    Actually I wonder if the adjective-animal namespace might get crowded.
    Perhaps a new class is in order:
    Juicy Jacaranda
    Bearded Beech
    etc.