[ANN] Logging 0.7.0 (Quixotic Starfish)

Tim Pease

== Logging
by Tim Pease
http://logging.rubyforge.org
(the "Quixotic Starfish" release)

== Description

Logging is a flexible logging library for use in Ruby programs based
on the
design of Java's log4j library. It features a hierarchical logging
system,
custom level names, multiple output destinations per log event, custom
formatting, and more.

This release addresses compatibility issues with Rails, seed
improvements,
and one or two minor tweaks and bug fixes. See the changes section
for all
the gory details. However, this release is not quite backwards
compatible
with the 0.6.* and earlier versions. The reason is the
Logging::Logger#add
method. It was reworked to semantically conform to the Ruby Standard
Library's Logger#add method -- this provides the Rails compatibility.

For users of earlier versions of logging, you will need to change any
usage
of the Logging::Logger#add method to use the new
Logging::Logger#add_appenders method (it's the old "add" method
renamed to "add_appenders").

== Installation

sudo gem install logging

== What's Important

Logging provides a few niceties
1) a rolling file appender than can handle multiple processes logging
to the same file
2) a nice e-mail appender
3) sending log messages to Growl (for those on the Mac platform)
4) fine grained control over logging levels for specific classes

== Changes

1 major enhancement
- Rails compatibility
* renamed Logger#add method to Logger#add_appenders
* renamed Logger#remove method to Logger#remove_appenders
* renamed Logger#clear method to Logger#clear_appenders
* added a new Logger#add method that conforms to the calling
semantics of the Ruby stdlib Logger

2 minor enhancements
- Speed improvements and test coverage
- Created a top-level Logging.init method that is used to
define the default logging levels

1 bug fix
- Tweaked windows detection code

== Fun Fact

A pregnant goldfish is called a "twit".

== Post Script

Blessings,
TwP

James Gray

1) a rolling file appender than can handle multiple processes logging
to the same file

Forgive my being too lazy to look to night, but what does this mean?
Would this feature make it possible to make something like Rails
logging multiprocess safe?

Obviously I only ask because this project looks freaking awesome Tim.

James Edward Gray II

Tim Pease

Forgive my being too lazy to look to night, but what does this
mean? Would this feature make it possible to make something like
Rails logging multiprocess safe?

That is correct. Multiple Rails processes (i.e. mongrel clusters) can
now safely log to the same file, have the file roll, and all the
processes will use the newer log file.

You can also use the Syslog appender in Logging and dump to the syslog
service. This is good for collecting logs from multiple machines.

Blessings,
TwP

Will Sargent

That is correct. Multiple Rails processes (i.e. mongrel clusters) can
now safely log to the same file, have the file roll, and all the
processes will use the newer log file.

You can also use the Syslog appender in Logging and dump to the syslog
service. This is good for collecting logs from multiple machines.

What's the best way to configure Rails to use Logging? Is there any
documentation for setting it up?

I looked at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoConfigureLogging
but it only talks about log4r.

Will.