ANN: MathDOM 0.1 - MathML in Python

Stefan Behnel

Hi everyone,

I herefore announce the availability of the first public version of MathDOM on
SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathdom

MathDOM is a set of Python modules (using PyXML and pyparsing) that import
mathematical terms as a Content MathML DOM. It currently parses MathML and
literal infix terms into a DOM and writes out MathML and literal infix/prefix
terms. The DOM elements are enhanced by domain specific methods that make
using the DOM a little easier.

You can call it the shortest way between different term representations and a
Content MathML DOM. Ever noticed the annoying differences between terms in
different programming languages? Build your application around the DOM and
stop careing about the term representation that users prefer or that your
machine can execute. If you need a different representation, add a converter,
but don't change the model. Literal terms are connected through an
intermediate AST step that makes writing converters for
Python/SQL/yourfavorite easier.

MathML has received a lot of support in mathematical software as well as
browsers and represents a confortable layer for the semantic exchange of
mathematics - see http://www.w3.org/Math/Software/

And now, Python has it, too! :)

I'd like to invite everyone who is interested to play with it and to comment
on the current (preliminary) state. Note that Content MathML support is not
complete, as the primary focus is on term representation. It does, however,
handle pretty complex things and I'd be glad to see currently unsupported
terms and MathML documents that are worth being supported in the future.

Have fun,
Stefan