ANN: MathDOM 0.1 - MathML in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stefan Behnel, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I herefore announce the availability of the first public version of MathDOM on
    SourceForge.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathdom

    MathDOM is a set of Python modules (using PyXML and pyparsing) that import
    mathematical terms as a Content MathML DOM. It currently parses MathML and
    literal infix terms into a DOM and writes out MathML and literal infix/prefix
    terms. The DOM elements are enhanced by domain specific methods that make
    using the DOM a little easier.

    You can call it the shortest way between different term representations and a
    Content MathML DOM. Ever noticed the annoying differences between terms in
    different programming languages? Build your application around the DOM and
    stop careing about the term representation that users prefer or that your
    machine can execute. If you need a different representation, add a converter,
    but don't change the model. Literal terms are connected through an
    intermediate AST step that makes writing converters for
    Python/SQL/yourfavorite easier.

    MathML has received a lot of support in mathematical software as well as
    browsers and represents a confortable layer for the semantic exchange of
    mathematics - see http://www.w3.org/Math/Software/

    And now, Python has it, too! :)

    I'd like to invite everyone who is interested to play with it and to comment
    on the current (preliminary) state. Note that Content MathML support is not
    complete, as the primary focus is on term representation. It does, however,
    handle pretty complex things and I'd be glad to see currently unsupported
    terms and MathML documents that are worth being supported in the future.

    Have fun,
    Stefan
    Stefan Behnel, Sep 29, 2005