ANN: MathDOM 0.5.0 - MathML in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stefan Behnel, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. Hi everyone,

    MathDOM 0.5 is ready for download from SourceForge.

    http://mathdom.sourceforge.net/

    MathDOM is a set of Python modules (using PyXML and pyparsing) that import
    mathematical terms as a Content MathML DOM. It currently parses MathML and
    literal infix terms into a DOM and writes out MathML and literal infix,
    prefix, postfix or Python terms. The DOM elements are enhanced by domain
    specific methods that make using the DOM a little easier.

    You can call it the shortest way between different term representations and an
    enhanced Content MathML DOM. Ever noticed the annoying differences between
    terms in different programming languages? Build your application around the
    DOM and stop careing about the term representation that users prefer or that
    your machine can execute. If you need a different representation, add a
    converter, but don't change the model. Literal terms are connected through an
    intermediate AST step that makes writing converters for
    Python/SQL/yourfavorite easier.

    ** New in 0.5.0 **

    This release features a completely new API for term I/O. It uses
    dictionary-like classes for registering input/output converters. This makes it
    easier to extend the package with custom converters. It also means that 'old'
    code will break, but since the package is farely recent, I hope that this will
    not make its users too much trouble. If the new API is accepted, I will try to
    keep it stable in further releases. The examples were updated to show how the
    new API is used.

    Have fun,
    Stefan
    Stefan Behnel, Oct 7, 2005