ANN: matplotlib-0.98.3 - plotting for python

Discussion in 'Python' started by jdh2358@gmail.com, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Guest

    matplotlib is a 2D plotting library for python for use in scripts,
    applications, interactive shell work or web application servers.
    matplotlib 0.98.3 is a major but stable release which brings
    many new features detailed below.

    Homepage: http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

    Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=278194&release_id=617552

    Screenshots: http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

    Thanks to Charlie Moad for the release and for all the matplotlib
    developers for the feature enhancements and bug fixes.

    The following "what's new" summary is also online at
    http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/whats_new.html.

    What's new
    ==========

    delaunay triangularization

    Jeffrey Whitaker has added support for gridding irregularly spaced
    data using the Matlab (TM) equivalent griddata function. This is a
    long-standing feature request for matplotlib and a major
    enhancement. matplotlib now ships with Robert Kern's delaunay
    triangularization code (BSD license), which supports the default
    griddata implementation, but there are some known corner cases where
    this routine fails. As such, Jeff has provided a python wrapper to
    the NCAR natgrid routines, whose licensing terms are a bit murkier,
    for those who need bullet proof gridding routines. If the NCAR
    toolkit is installed, griddata will detect it and use it. See
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.mlab.html#-griddata for details.
    Thanks Robert and Jeff.

    proper paths

    For the first time, matplotlib supports spline paths across
    backends, so you can pretty much draw anything. See the
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/screenshots.html#path_patch_demo. Thanks to
    Michael Droettboom and http://www.stsci.edu (STScI).

    better transformations

    In what has been described as open-heart surgery on matplotlib,
    Michael Droettboom, supported by http://www.stsci.edu (STSci) , has
    rewritten the transformation infrastructure from the ground up,
    which not only makes the code more intuitive, it supports custom
    user projections and scales. See
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/doc/devel/add_new_projection.rst and the
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.transforms.html module
    documentation.

    histogram enhancements

    hist (http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-hist) can
    handle 2D arrays and create side-by-side or stacked histograms, as
    well as cumulative filled and unfilled histograms; see
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/examples/pylab_examples/histogram_demo_extended.py

    ginput function

    ginput (http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-ginput) is
    a blocking function for interactive use to get input from the user.
    A long requested feature submitted by Gael Varoquaux. See
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/examples/pylab_examples/ginput_demo.py

    wind barbs

    Ryan May has added support for wind barbs, which are popular among
    meterologists. These are similar to direction fields or quiver
    plots but contain extra information about wind speed and other
    attributes. See
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/examples/pylab_examples/barb_demo.py

    external backends

    backend developers and users can now use custom backends outside the
    matplotlib tree, by using the special syntax
    module://my_backend for the backend setting in the rc
    file, the use directive, or in -d command line argument to
    pylab/pyplot scripts

    findobj

    Introduced a recursive object search method to find all objects that
    meet some matching criterion, ef to find all text instances in a
    figure. See
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/examples/pylab_examples/findobj_demo.py

    saving transparent figures

    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-savefig now
    supports a *transparent* keyword argument to set the figure an axes
    backgrounds transparent. Useful when you want to embed matplotlib
    figures with transparent backgrounds into other documents

    axes3d support removed

    Amid considerable controversy from the users, we decided to pull the
    experimental 3D support from matplotlib. Although basic 3D support
    remains a goal, the 3D support we had was mainly orphaned, and we
    need a developer with interest to step up and maintain it.

    mathtext outside matplotlib

    The mathtext support in matplotlib is very good, and some folks want
    to be able to use it outside of matplotlib figures. We added some
    helper functions to get the mathtext rendered pixel buffer as a
    numpy array, with an example at
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/examples/api/mathtext_asarray.py

    image optimizations

    enhancements to speed up color mapping and panning and zooming on
    dense images

    better savefig

    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-savefig now
    supports save to file handles (great for web app servers) or unicode
    filenames on all backends

    record array functions

    some more helper functions to facilitate work with record arrays:
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.mlab.html#-rec_groupby,
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.mlab.html#-rec2txt,
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.mlab.html#-rec_summarize

    accurate elliptical arcs

    In support of the http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/phoenix/main.php
    (Phoenix mission) to Mars, which used matplotlib in ground tracking
    of the spacecraft, Michael Droettboom built on work by Charlie Moad
    to provide an extremely accurate 8-spline approximation to
    elliptical arcs
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.patches.html#Arc-draw in the
    viewport. This provides a scale free, accurate graph of the arc
    regardless of zoom level. See
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/screenshots.html#ellipse_demo

    imread enhanced

    imread (http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.image.html) now will use
    PIL when available to load images and return numpy arrays

    postscript enhancements

    the postscript backend has clipping to paths (useful for polar
    plots

    PDF enhancements

    The PDF backend handles composite glyphs properly, usetex fixes

    SVG enhancements

    clip to path (useful for polar plots), inkscape cut-and-paste fixes.

    QT enhancements

    Fixed a duplicate draw bug that slowed performance. Native qt
    toolbars and status bars used for the toolbar controls.

    bug fixes and minor enhancements

    Lots of bug fixes and feature enhancements: memory leaks, math
    rendering, UI specific problems, dpi scaling problems, better
    support for relative font sizes, patch collections, better
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-pie chart label
    alignment, better baseline text alignment support, support for image
    downsampling, more better
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-hist functionality,
    image rendering fixes... For details, see
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/CHANGELOG
    , Aug 6, 2008

    jdh2358:
    > delaunay triangularization

    [and more amazing things]

    I'm impressed, it's growing very well, congratulations, I use it now
    and then. I know people in University that use Python only/mostly
    because of matplotlib.

    Bye,
    bearophile
    , Aug 6, 2008