[ANN] Metadata 0.3

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ilmari Heikkinen, Sep 15, 2007.

  1. On 9/15/07, Konrad Meyer <> wrote:
    > Quoth Ilmari Heikkinen:
    > > On 9/14/07, Konrad Meyer <> wrote:
    > > > Hmm, am I not seeing it (just using 'mdh -p') or can metadata.rb extract
    > > > stuff like artist, title, album, track, and whatnot from ogg/flac?

    > > It should at least. If you're having trouble, lemme know
    > >

    > Yeah, I'm having some trouble. I have latest metadata (0.2).
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yeah, I failed at using git. Jeez. Sorry about that.
    Here's 0.3, it oughta work:

    tarball: http://dark.fhtr.org/repos/metadata/metadata-0.3.tar.gz
    git: http://dark.fhtr.org/repos/metadata

    On 9/15/07, darren kirby <> wrote:
    > Hi Ilmari!
    >
    > Just wanted to mention that despite the name, wmainfo will parse anything
    > wrapped in an ASF audio/video container format[0], so, you could use it to
    > parse wmv movies as well if your user didn't have mplayer installed.
    >
    > [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Systems_Format

    Thanks for the pointer!
    I made it merge the wmainfo output to the mplayer output for wmv and asf.

    Description
    -----------

    This package `Metadata' comes with a library called `metadata' and
    a small program called `mdh'.

    The library probes files for their metadata (e.g. jpeg dimensions
    and camera make, mp3 artist, pdf word count) and returns the metadata
    as a Hash.

    Mdh can print out file metadata as YAML and package the metadata
    with the file.

    This package has many dependencies since there is no single universal
    metadata header format that all files use. Blame resource forks, filename
    extensions, bags of bytes and mimetypes.

    Usage
    -----

    # print out metadata header
    mdh -p myfile.jpg

    # create myfile.jpg.mdh, which consists of metadata header + myfile.jpg
    mdh myfile.jpg

    # print out metadata header from mdh file
    mdh -e -p myfile.jpg.mdh

    # strip out metadata header from mdh file and save it to myfile.jpg
    mdh -e myfile.jpg.mdh

    irb> Metadata.extract('myfile.jpg')
    irb> Metadata.extract_text('myfile.jpg')
    irb> Pathname.new("myfile.jpg").metadata

    List of supported formats
    -------------------------

    Audio:
    Successfully tested with:
    mp3, flac, ogg, wav
    Should also work:
    wma, m4a

    Video:
    What you manage to make mplayer play, which can be just about anything.
    Then again, missing title and author data, etc. (do videos even have those?)
    Successfully tested with:
    wmv, mov, divx, xvid, flv, ogm, mpg

    Images:
    Should handle pretty much anything (apart from XCF and ORF.)
    Successfully tested with:
    jpeg, png, gif, nef, dng, crw, pef, psd

    Documents:
    Successfully tested with:
    pdf, ppt, odp, sxi, ps, ps.gz, html, txt
    Should work:
    - OpenOffice docs work to some degree (personally, I'm using unoconv to
    convert OO docs to temp PDFs for the text & dimensions extraction, so
    those bits of data are missing.)
    - MS Office docs to some degree (ppt at least, doc and xls should work too,
    dimensions missing due to the above temp PDF -thing.)

    Others:
    Whatever extract spits out on the five or six bits of metadata I'm using
    from it. Archive contents at least.

    Requirements
    ------------

    * Ruby 1.8

    * Tons of metadata extraction programs and libs,
    list of gems:
    flacinfo-rb
    wmainfo-rb
    MP4info
    list of debian packages:
    dcraw
    libimlib2-ruby
    extract
    libimage-exiftool-perl
    poppler-utils
    mplayer
    html2text
    imagemagick
    unhtml
    pstotext
    antiword
    catdoc
    shared-mime-info
    vorbis-tools

    * You do want to install the latest versions of dcraw and
    shared-mime-info to be able to handle camera raw images.
    http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/
    http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/shared-mime-info

    * Python + chardet library
    http://chardet.feedparser.org/

    Install
    -------

    De-compress archive and enter its top directory.
    Then type:

    ($ su)
    # ruby setup.rb

    These simple step installs this program under the default
    location of Ruby libraries. You can also install files into
    your favorite directory by supplying setup.rb some options.
    Try "ruby setup.rb --help".

    License
    -------

    Ruby's

    --
    Ilmari Heikkinen <ilmari.heikkinen gmail com>
    http://fhtr.blogspot.com

    Ilmari Heikkinen, Sep 15, 2007

  2. Ilmari Heikkinen

    Konrad Meyer Guest

    --nextPart6653061.QBXH3ZSY6e

    Quoth Ilmari Heikkinen:
> [...]

    > # strip out metadata header from mdh file and save it to myfile.jpg
    > mdh -e myfile.jpg.mdh
    >=20
    > irb> Metadata.extract('myfile.jpg')
    > irb> Metadata.extract_text('myfile.jpg')
    > irb> Pathname.new("myfile.jpg").metadata
    >=20
    >=20
    > List of supported formats
    > -------------------------
    >=20
    > Audio:
    > Successfully tested with:
    > mp3, flac, ogg, wav
    > Should also work:
    > wma, m4a
    >=20
    > Video:
    > What you manage to make mplayer play, which can be just about anythin=

    g.
    > Then again, missing title and author data, etc. (do videos even have=

    those?)
    > Successfully tested with:
    > wmv, mov, divx, xvid, flv, ogm, mpg
    >=20
    > Images:
    > Should handle pretty much anything (apart from XCF and ORF.)
    > Successfully tested with:
    > jpeg, png, gif, nef, dng, crw, pef, psd
    >=20
    > Documents:
    > Successfully tested with:
    > pdf, ppt, odp, sxi, ps, ps.gz, html, txt
    > Should work:
    > - OpenOffice docs work to some degree (personally, I'm using unoconv =

    > convert OO docs to temp PDFs for the text & dimensions extraction, =

    so
    > those bits of data are missing.)
    > - MS Office docs to some degree (ppt at least, doc and xls should wor=

    k=20
    too,
    > dimensions missing due to the above temp PDF -thing.)
    >=20
    > Others:
    > Whatever extract spits out on the five or six bits of metadata I'm us=

    ing
    > from it. Archive contents at least.
    >=20
    > Requirements
    > ------------
    >=20
    > * Ruby 1.8
    >=20
    > * Tons of metadata extraction programs and libs,
    > list of gems:
    > flacinfo-rb
    > wmainfo-rb
    > MP4info
    > list of debian packages:
    > dcraw
    > libimlib2-ruby
    > extract
    > libimage-exiftool-perl
    > poppler-utils
    > mplayer
    > html2text
    > imagemagick
    > unhtml
    > pstotext
    > antiword
    > catdoc
    > shared-mime-info
    > vorbis-tools
    >=20
    > * You do want to install the latest versions of dcraw and
    > shared-mime-info to be able to handle camera raw images.
    > http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/
    > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/shared-mime-info
    >=20
    > * Python + chardet library
    > http://chardet.feedparser.org/
    >=20
    > Install
    > -------
    >=20
    > De-compress archive and enter its top directory.
    > Then type:
    >=20
    > ($ su)
    > # ruby setup.rb
    >=20
    > These simple step installs this program under the default
    > location of Ruby libraries. You can also install files into
    > your favorite directory by supplying setup.rb some options.
    > Try "ruby setup.rb --help".
    >=20
    >=20
    > License
    > -------
    >=20
    > Ruby's
    >=20
    >=20
    > --
    > Ilmari Heikkinen <ilmari.heikkinen gmail com>
    > http://fhtr.blogspot.com

    Any chance you could wrap this up as a gem? It's not something I care
    strongly about, and I don't know how complicated the process is, but I think
    it would help ease installation for some users.

    =2D-=20
    Konrad Meyer <> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

    Konrad Meyer, Sep 15, 2007

  3. Ilmari Heikkinen

    Konrad Meyer Guest

    --nextPart2995463.av4K1aPkjp

    Quoth Ilmari Heikkinen:
> [...]

    >=20
    > De-compress archive and enter its top directory.
    > Then type:
    >=20
    > ($ su)
    > # ruby setup.rb
    >=20
    > These simple step installs this program under the default
    > location of Ruby libraries. You can also install files into
    > your favorite directory by supplying setup.rb some options.
    > Try "ruby setup.rb --help".
    >=20
    >=20
    > License
    > -------
    >=20
    > Ruby's
    >=20
    >=20
    > --
    > Ilmari Heikkinen <ilmari.heikkinen gmail com>

    Er, I'm still not getting information out of ogg files:

    $ mdh -p ~/music/bowling_for_soup_-_1985.ogg=20
    ---=20
    Video.Duration: 192.78
    Audio.Samplerate: 44100
    Audio.Bitrate: 192.0
    Image.DimensionUnit: px
    Video.Codec: ""
    File.Size: 4618665
    Audio.Codec: vrbs
    File.Modified: 2007-01-03T22:10:11-08:00
    File.Format: video/x-theora+ogg

    $ mplayer ~/music/bowling_for_soup_-_1985.ogg=20
    Clip info:
    Genre: Pop
    Name: 1985
    Artist: Bowling for Soup
    Creation Date: 2004
    Album: A Hangover You Don't Deserve
    Track: 03

    Thanks for your quick responses!

    Konrad Meyer, Sep 15, 2007
  4. On 9/15/07, Konrad Meyer <> wrote:
    > Er, I'm still not getting information out of ogg files:
    >
    > $ mdh -p ~/music/bowling_for_soup_-_1985.ogg
    > ---
    > Video.Duration: 192.78
    > Audio.Samplerate: 44100
    > Audio.Bitrate: 192.0
    > Image.DimensionUnit: px
    > Video.Codec: ""
    > File.Size: 4618665
    > Audio.Codec: vrbs
    > File.Modified: 2007-01-03T22:10:11-08:00

    > File.Format: video/x-theora+ogg

    ^- That's the problem there. It thinks it's a video file.

    <technical blather>
    Why? Probably because I hacked the mimetype guesser to _not_ assume
    things based on the filename extension, and the shared-mime-info db
    assumes that the guesser _is_ assuming things based on the filename
    extension.

    Which is something I'd rather not do with downloaded files (which, by
    their very nature, have wild disparities between the extension and the
    real mimetype.) And the header content-type is often totally wrong or
    doesn't match shared-mime-info's naming (e.g.
    application/octet-stream vs. image/gif, audio/x-mp3 vs. audio/mpeg,
    video/divx vs. video/x-msvideo, video/x-ms-asf vs. video/vnd.ms-asf...)

    And this magic-over-extension sometimes leads to me getting generic
    lesser-magic guesses instead of more specific filename extension
    guesses (e.g. zip instead of OO document.) So, I have a list of
    generic formats that defer to the extension rather than rely on
    the lesser-magic.

    Anyhow, it's ugly, hacky magic.
    Just like the rest of mimetype guessing.
    </technical blather>

    But! Fixing this instance of the problem in the next thirty seconds.
    ... There!

    And now, adding ogginfo metadata to video/x-theora+ogg.

    Ok, try this:

    http://dark.fhtr.org/repos/metadata/metadata-0.4.tar.gz

    > Thanks for your quick responses!

    Thanks for the bug reports! They really help in making this thing
    more robust.

    Ilmari Heikkinen, Sep 15, 2007
  5. On 9/15/07, Konrad Meyer <> wrote:

    > $ mplayer ~/music/bowling_for_soup_-_1985.ogg
    > Clip info:
    > Genre: Pop
    > Name: 1985
    > Artist: Bowling for Soup
    > Creation Date: 2004
    > Album: A Hangover You Don't Deserve
    > Track: 03

    Oh, nice, mplayer does give out metadata fields. I better augment
    the mplayer info parser to grab those :)

    0.5 here we come!

    Ilmari Heikkinen, Sep 15, 2007
  6. Ilmari Heikkinen

    Konrad Meyer Guest

    --nextPart1969409.vsceX6HOzH

    Quoth Ilmari Heikkinen:
    > On 9/15/07, Konrad Meyer <> wrote:
    >=20
    > > $ mplayer ~/music/bowling_for_soup_-_1985.ogg
    > > Clip info:
    > > Genre: Pop
    > > Name: 1985
    > > Artist: Bowling for Soup
    > > Creation Date: 2004
    > > Album: A Hangover You Don't Deserve
    > > Track: 03

    >=20
    > Oh, nice, mplayer does give out metadata fields. I better augment
    > the mplayer info parser to grab those :)
    >=20
    > 0.5 here we come!

    Another bug (Sorry :D):
    $ mdh -p ~/music/Limp\ Bizkit\ -\ Rollin\'\ \(edited\).ogg=20
    sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    sh: -c: line 0: `ogginfo '/home/konrad/music/Limp Bizkit - Rollin\'
    (edited).ogg''

    (Last line was broken up to email length.) You're already escaping single
    quotes for the shell, need to escape start-parens and end-parens as well.

    Thanks,

    Konrad Meyer, Sep 15, 2007
  7. Ilmari Heikkinen

    Konrad Meyer Guest

    --nextPart5838677.qWcsKGLdKI

    Quoth Ilmari Heikkinen:
    > On 9/15/07, Konrad Meyer <> wrote:
    >=20
    > > $ mplayer ~/music/bowling_for_soup_-_1985.ogg
    > > Clip info:
    > > Genre: Pop
    > > Name: 1985
    > > Artist: Bowling for Soup
    > > Creation Date: 2004
    > > Album: A Hangover You Don't Deserve
    > > Track: 03

    >=20
    > Oh, nice, mplayer does give out metadata fields. I better augment
    > the mplayer info parser to grab those :)
    >=20
    > 0.5 here we come!

    Also:
    =46or mp3 id3v2 tags, the binary string "\xCB\x99\xC5\xA3" is being inserted
    at the front of all the string fields.

    $ mdh -p ~/music/Snoop\ Dogg\ -\ Gin\ \&\ Juice.mp3
    ---=20
    Audio.Album: "\xCB\x99\xC5\xA3Death Row's Snoop Doggy Dogg Greatest Hits
    (2001)"
    Audio.Genre: "\xCB\x99\xC5\xA3Hip-Hop"
    Audio.Title: "\xCB\x99\xC5\xA3Gin & Juice"
    Audio.Artist: "\xCB\x99\xC5\xA3Snoop Dogg"

    I *think* this is an id3v2 thing. Also, it happens in more than one file and
    amaroK sees the tags "correctly", so I'm thinking it's on the metadata's
    end. Thanks!

    Konrad Meyer, Sep 15, 2007