ANN: Microsoft goes Open Source

jmfbahciv

More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
conformant!
Sigh! It is April 1.

/BAH

CBFalconer

Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
competent programmers.

They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
classified as a trade secret.

The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.

For a full discussion visit:

<http://innovation.microsoft.com>

santosh

CBFalconer said:
Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
competent programmers.

They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
classified as a trade secret.

The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.

For a full discussion visit:

<http://innovation.microsoft.com>

More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
conformant!

Chris Hills

CBFalconer said:
Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

What was the date of that press release? :)

However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics in
controlling it's market.

It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones don't
pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other peoples
efforts without paying them....

So on that score who is better for programmers? MS or RedHat?

Phlip

CBFalconer said:
Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

"Ooooh, intercourse the penguin!" --Graham Chapman

Steve O'Hara-Smith

Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
competent programmers.

They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
classified as a trade secret.

The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.

For a full discussion visit:

<http://innovation.microsoft.com>

innovation.microsoft.com not found - now why am I not surprised :)

Chris Hills

Sigh! It is April 1.

It probably refers to this........

Hello!

The C99 library is part of C++ TR1.

From: http://www.dinkumware.com/tr1.aspx
comes this information:
[TR1 includes the] "C99 library, including all the numerous functions
added to the C Standard with C99, properly blended into

the C++ environment".

This is interesting, since it means that if C++ compilers adapt to
TR1, C programmers can effectively use the entire C99 (with those TR1-
compliant compilers), without any problems!

And that C99 code, can then interface nicely with C++ TR1, including
all the C++ constructs (that are not part of C99)
I wonder if C99 is really 100% a subset of C++ TR1.?

(But ahh...
A standard, especially a new one is very different from the "de facto"
standard of many people in industry.)

Kind regards,
Albert

Some Interesting docs:

Proposed additions to TR-1 to improve compatibility with C99 (P.J.
Plauger)
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1503.txt

Draft Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions (C++ TR1 as far as I
can see...)
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1836.pdf#page=167

C99 Standard(Committee Draft 2005 - ISO/IEC 9899:TC2)

"The New C Standard: A Cultural and Economic Commentary" by Derek M.
Jones
http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook.html

Didi

Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

Yes, they also said their stuff was not just good looking, it actually
worked :).

Dimiter

larwe

Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

The particularly funny thing about this AFDJ is that Microsoft
announced their "shared-source" nonsense program with almost as much
enthusiasm. It was only once you looked at the slightly smaller font-
size text that you realized the program is of course designed to
stifle innovation, not foster it.

Keith Thompson

Steve O'Hara-Smith said:
innovation.microsoft.com not found - now why am I not surprised :)

Of course not; the correct URL is

<HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>

It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.

Willem

)
) <HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>
)
) It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.

Which, of course, can be downloaded from FTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.OM

Right ?

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT

Keith Thompson

Willem said:
Keith wrote:
) Of course not; the correct URL is
)
) <HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>
)
) It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.

Which, of course, can be downloaded from FTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.OM

Right ?

Yes, their new download site is in Oman. How did you know?

Anthony Irwin

Chris said:
What was the date of that press release? :)

However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics in
controlling it's market.

It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones don't
pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other peoples
efforts without paying them....

I think you will find that RedHat pay quite a few programmers to write
free software that they contribute back. They have a number of kernel
programmers that I know for sure and probably others as well.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin

Joe Pfeiffer

Chris Hills said:
However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics
in controlling it's market.

What tactics are you referring to? I haven't seen anything I'd
compare to MS behavior in crushing opposition...
It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones
don't pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other
peoples efforts without paying them....

And paying programmers and contributing the results back to the
community.
So on that score who is better for programmers? MS or RedHat?

Until you've got a specific complaint to make about RH, it's hard to
compare.

jmfbahciv

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

I know that. It was intended in the same spirit as CBF's post; guess
you didn't get it.

Oh, I got it. The comment was necessary.

/BAH

Robert M. Riches Jr.

What tactics are you referring to? I haven't seen anything I'd
compare to MS behavior in crushing opposition...

And paying programmers and contributing the results back to the
community.

Until you've got a specific complaint to make about RH, it's hard to
compare.

Perhaps Chris was referring to HatRed's "You are allowed to
install on _only_ one computer without paying us extra per
installation" clause in their license agreements. There
have been earlier discussions about this on
comp.os.linux.misc.

I will agree that there is a drastic difference between the
two companies.

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Of course not; the correct URL is

<HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>

It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.

Of course, since any version of Firefox is "better" than any
past, present, or future version of IE, Firefox ought to
work fine by that requirements statement. :)

rickman

On Apr 2, 1:27 pm, "Robert M. Riches Jr."
Perhaps Chris was referring to HatRed's "You are allowed to
install on _only_ one computer without paying us extra per
installation" clause in their license agreements. There
have been earlier discussions about this on
comp.os.linux.misc.

I will agree that there is a drastic difference between the
two companies.

I don't get that. Linux is GPL'd which requires that you charge only
for "distribution" costs. After that isn't it up to the user what
they do with it? How can Redhat even have a license other than the
GPL? Or are they licensing an installer or something that is not part
of Linux?