ANN: Microsoft goes Open Source

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by jmfbahciv@aol.com, Apr 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    In article <>,
    "santosh" <> wrote:
    >CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    >> with the GPL license.
    >>
    >> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
    >> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
    >> competent programmers.
    >>
    >> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
    >> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
    >> classified as a trade secret.
    >>
    >> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
    >> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
    >>
    >> For a full discussion visit:
    >>
    >> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

    >More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
    >announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
    >conformant!

    Sigh! It is April 1.

    /BAH

    , Apr 1, 2007

    CBFalconer, Apr 1, 2007

  3. santosh Guest

    santosh, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, CBFalconer
    <> writes
    >Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    >with the GPL license.

    What was the date of that press release? :)

    However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics in
    controlling it's market.

    It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
    and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones don't
    pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other peoples
    efforts without paying them....

    So on that score who is better for programmers? MS or RedHat?

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

    Chris Hills, Apr 1, 2007
  5. Phlip Guest

    Re: Microsoft goes Open Source

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    > with the GPL license.

    "Ooooh, intercourse the penguin!" --Graham Chapman

    --
    Phlip
    http://flea.sourceforge.net/PiglegToo_1.html

    Phlip, Apr 1, 2007
  6. On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 08:16:18 -0400
    CBFalconer <> wrote:

    > Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    > with the GPL license.
    >
    > Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
    > making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
    > competent programmers.
    >
    > They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
    > employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
    > classified as a trade secret.
    >
    > The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
    > original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
    >
    > For a full discussion visit:
    >
    > <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

    innovation.microsoft.com not found - now why am I not surprised :)

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays

    Steve O'Hara-Smith, Apr 1, 2007
  7. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <euo72p$1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
    writes
    >In article <>,
    > "santosh" <> wrote:
    >>CBFalconer wrote:
    >>> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    >>> with the GPL license.
    >>>
    >>> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
    >>> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
    >>> competent programmers.
    >>>
    >>> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
    >>> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
    >>> classified as a trade secret.
    >>>
    >>> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
    >>> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
    >>>
    >>> For a full discussion visit:
    >>>
    >>> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

    >>More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
    >>announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
    >>conformant!
    >>

    >Sigh! It is April 1.

    It probably refers to this........

    n article <>,
    writes

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

    Chris Hills, Apr 1, 2007
  8. Didi Guest

    > Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    > with the GPL license.

    Yes, they also said their stuff was not just good looking, it actually
    worked :).

    Dimiter

    Didi, Apr 1, 2007
  9. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "santosh" <> wrote:
    > >CBFalconer wrote:
    > >> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    > >> with the GPL license.
    > >>
    > >> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
    > >> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
    > >> competent programmers.
    > >>
    > >> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
    > >> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
    > >> classified as a trade secret.
    > >>
    > >> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
    > >> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
    > >>
    > >> For a full discussion visit:
    > >>
    > >> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

    > >More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
    > >announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
    > >conformant!
    > >

    > Sigh! It is April 1.

    I know that. It was intended in the same spirit as CBF's post; guess
    you didn't get it.

    santosh, Apr 1, 2007
  10. Tarkin Guest

    On Apr 1, 2:23 pm, "Phlip" <> wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    > > Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    > > with the GPL license.

    > "Ooooh, intercourse the penguin!" --Graham Chapman
    >
    > --
    > Phlip
    > http://flea.sourceforge.net/PiglegToo_1.html

    ROFTLMAO.

    TTFN,
    Tarkin

    Tarkin, Apr 1, 2007
  11. larwe Guest

    On Apr 1, 8:16 am, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    > Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    > with the GPL license.

    The particularly funny thing about this AFDJ is that Microsoft
    announced their "shared-source" nonsense program with almost as much
    enthusiasm. It was only once you looked at the slightly smaller font-
    size text that you realized the program is of course designed to
    stifle innovation, not foster it.

    larwe, Apr 1, 2007
  12. Steve O'Hara-Smith <> writes:
    [...]
    >> For a full discussion visit:
    >>
    >> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

    > innovation.microsoft.com not found - now why am I not surprised :)

    Of course not; the correct URL is

    <HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>

    It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.

    Keith Thompson, Apr 1, 2007
  13. Willem Guest

    )
    ) <HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>
    )
    ) It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.

    Which, of course, can be downloaded from FTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.OM

    Right ?

    SaSW, Willem
    drugged or something..
    #EOT

    Willem, Apr 1, 2007
  14. Willem <> writes:
    > Keith wrote:
    > ) Of course not; the correct URL is
    > )
    > ) <HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>
    > )
    > ) It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.
    >
    > Which, of course, can be downloaded from FTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.OM
    >
    > Right ?

    Yes, their new download site is in Oman. How did you know?

    Keith Thompson, Apr 1, 2007
  15. Chris Hills wrote:
    > In article <>, CBFalconer
    > <> writes
    >> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
    >> with the GPL license.

    > What was the date of that press release? :)
    >

    > However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics in
    > controlling it's market.
    >
    > It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
    > and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones don't
    > pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other peoples
    > efforts without paying them....

    I think you will find that RedHat pay quite a few programmers to write
    free software that they contribute back. They have a number of kernel
    programmers that I know for sure and probably others as well.

    Kind Regards,
    Anthony Irwin

    Anthony Irwin, Apr 2, 2007
  16. Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    Chris Hills <> writes:

    > However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics
    > in controlling it's market.

    What tactics are you referring to? I haven't seen anything I'd
    compare to MS behavior in crushing opposition...

    > It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
    > and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones
    > don't pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other
    > peoples efforts without paying them....

    And paying programmers and contributing the results back to the
    community.

    > So on that score who is better for programmers? MS or RedHat?

    Until you've got a specific complaint to make about RH, it's hard to
    compare.

    Joe Pfeiffer, Apr 2, 2007

    In article <>,
    "santosh" <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Sigh! It is April 1.

    >I know that. It was intended in the same spirit as CBF's post; guess
    >you didn't get it.

    Oh, I got it. The comment was necessary.

    /BAH

    , Apr 2, 2007
  18. On 2007-04-01, Joe Pfeiffer <> wrote:
    > Chris Hills <> writes:
    >>
    >> However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics
    >> in controlling it's market.

    > What tactics are you referring to? I haven't seen anything I'd
    > compare to MS behavior in crushing opposition...
    >
    >> It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
    >> and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones
    >> don't pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other
    >> peoples efforts without paying them....

    > And paying programmers and contributing the results back to the
    > community.
    >
    >> So on that score who is better for programmers? MS or RedHat?

    > Until you've got a specific complaint to make about RH, it's hard to
    > compare.

    Perhaps Chris was referring to HatRed's "You are allowed to
    install on _only_ one computer without paying us extra per
    installation" clause in their license agreements. There
    have been earlier discussions about this on
    comp.os.linux.misc.

    I will agree that there is a drastic difference between the
    two companies.

    --
    Robert Riches

    Robert M. Riches Jr., Apr 2, 2007
  19. On 2007-04-01, Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    > Steve O'Hara-Smith <> writes:
    > [...]
    >>> For a full discussion visit:
    >>>
    >>> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

    >> innovation.microsoft.com not found - now why am I not surprised :)

    > Of course not; the correct URL is
    >
    > <HTTP:\\INNOVATION.MICROSOFT.COM>
    >
    > It's case-sensitive, of course. MSIE 8.0alpha or better required.

    Of course, since any version of Firefox is "better" than any
    past, present, or future version of IE, Firefox ought to
    work fine by that requirements statement. :)

    --
    Robert Riches

    Robert M. Riches Jr., Apr 2, 2007
  20. rickman Guest

    On Apr 2, 1:27 pm, "Robert M. Riches Jr."
    > Perhaps Chris was referring to HatRed's "You are allowed to
    > install on _only_ one computer without paying us extra per
    > installation" clause in their license agreements. There
    > have been earlier discussions about this on
    > comp.os.linux.misc.
    >
    > I will agree that there is a drastic difference between the
    > two companies.

    I don't get that. Linux is GPL'd which requires that you charge only
    for "distribution" costs. After that isn't it up to the user what
    they do with it? How can Redhat even have a license other than the
    GPL? Or are they licensing an installer or something that is not part
    of Linux?

    rickman, Apr 2, 2007