[ANN] Mongoose 0.1.1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jamey Cribbs, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Jamey Cribbs

    Jamey Cribbs Guest

    You can download it from: http://rubyforge.org/projects/mongoose/

    *What's New*

    Well, in the spirit of "Release early and often", here's a new version.
    This one has some bug fixes and code cleanup, but the big news is I
    implemented a new index initialization routine that has cut index
    initialization time in half, greatly improved performance on some
    queries, and reduced memory consumption by one-third in some circumstances.

    Here's a totally non-scientific example. Doing a range query (Time data
    type) against an 80,000 record table and returning a 5,000 record result
    set:

    Version: 0.1.1
    -------------------
    Index initialization: 2 seconds
    Query time: 0.75 seconds

    Version: 0.1.0
    -------------------
    Index initialization: 5.5 seconds
    Query time: 1 .8 seconds

    By the way, here's how KirbyBase performed doing the same query:

    KirbyBase: 2.6
    -------------------
    Index initialization: 12 seconds
    Query time: 20 seconds

    Not bad for a young mongoose!

    *What is Mongoose?*

    Mongoose is a database management system written in Ruby. It has an
    ActiveRecord-like interface, uses Skiplists for its indexing, and
    Marshal for its data serialization. I named it Mongoose, because, like
    Rudyard Kipling's Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, my aim is for it to be small, quick,
    and friendly.

    Jamey Cribbs
    Jamey Cribbs, Jul 20, 2006