[ANN] Mongrel HTTP Library 0.2.2 (Serving Directories)

Zed Shaw

Hey Folks,

Another announcement of Mongrel -- the fastest little web server
library for Ruby yet. This release is nice in that it should build
on win32 better and it now sports a small DirHandler that can serve
directories and files. This means Mongrel is closer to replacing
WEBrick as a Rails debug runner.

You can get the releases and information from:

* http://rubyforge.org/projects/mongrel/ -- project page
* http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/ -- RDoc documentation.

== Install and Upgrade

People who use(d) RubyGems can simply do:

gem install mongrel

-or-

gem upgrade

And they'll get the new gear. You can go back to the project page
and download the source .tgz if you installed using that.

== Changes

* Fixed a header so that win32 folks can build it.
* Added all CGI parameters that didn't cause security or performance
problems.
* Forced the sockets to not do reverse name lookup (huge performance
hit for little benefit).
* Created a REQUEST_URI parameter that has the original untouched URI
used in the request. This is the string used to lookup the handlers
and create the SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO parameters.
* Implemented a basic directory serving handler called DirHandler.
It will serve files in a directory, print a simple directory listing,
and tries to protect against malicious path requests.
* Some minor code clean-ups and additional documentation regarding
constants used.

== The DirHandler

The really simple DirHandler is used like this (from the examples/
simpletest.rb file):

h = Mongrel::HttpServer.new("0.0.0.0", "3000")
h.register("/files", Mongrel::DirHandler.new("."))
h.run.join

This simply sets things up so that when people go to /files, they get
the contents of the current directory. The DirHandler expands the
path you give it so that when requests come in, it can expand them
too and make sure that both paths have the same prefix. If not it
will reject them. There is also an option to turn off the directory
listings using the second parameter to DirHandler.new().

This initial file serving is very simplistic since it doesn't map
extensions to mime types yet. It should be a good start for some
people though.

== Feedback

Thanks for all the feedback and bug reports so far. With directory
serving and complete CGI parameters out of the way I'm going to start
working on a Rails runner using Mongrel next, and possibly a caching
system. Goal for the weekend will be to get a Rails application
running in Mongrel standalone.

Enjoy!

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/

Tanner Burson

------=_Part_5175_1244389.1138977525411

Hey Folks,

Another announcement of Mongrel -- the fastest little web server
library for Ruby yet. This release is nice in that it should build
on win32 better and it now sports a small DirHandler that can serve
directories and files. This means Mongrel is closer to replacing
WEBrick as a Rails debug runner.

You can get the releases and information from:

* http://rubyforge.org/projects/mongrel/ -- project page
* http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/ -- RDoc documentation.

=3D=3D Install and Upgrade

People who use(d) RubyGems can simply do:

gem install mongrel

-or-

gem upgrade

And they'll get the new gear. You can go back to the project page
and download the source .tgz if you installed using that.

=3D=3D Changes

* Fixed a header so that win32 folks can build it.
* Added all CGI parameters that didn't cause security or performance
problems.
* Forced the sockets to not do reverse name lookup (huge performance
hit for little benefit).
* Created a REQUEST_URI parameter that has the original untouched URI
used in the request. This is the string used to lookup the handlers
and create the SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO parameters.
* Implemented a basic directory serving handler called DirHandler.
It will serve files in a directory, print a simple directory listing,
and tries to protect against malicious path requests.
* Some minor code clean-ups and additional documentation regarding
constants used.

=3D=3D The DirHandler

The really simple DirHandler is used like this (from the examples/
simpletest.rb file):

h =3D Mongrel::HttpServer.new("0.0.0.0", "3000")
h.register("/files", Mongrel::DirHandler.new("."))
h.run.join

This simply sets things up so that when people go to /files, they get
the contents of the current directory. The DirHandler expands the
path you give it so that when requests come in, it can expand them
too and make sure that both paths have the same prefix. If not it
will reject them. There is also an option to turn off the directory
listings using the second parameter to DirHandler.new().

This initial file serving is very simplistic since it doesn't map
extensions to mime types yet. It should be a good start for some
people though.

=3D=3D Feedback

Thanks for all the feedback and bug reports so far. With directory
serving and complete CGI parameters out of the way I'm going to start
working on a Rails runner using Mongrel next, and possibly a caching
system. Goal for the weekend will be to get a Rails application
running in Mongrel standalone.

Enjoy!

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
Like Daniel Sheppard in the previous version I'm getting errors when
attempting the following on windows:

irb(main):001:0> require_gem 'mongrel'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0> p Mongrel
NameError: uninitialized constant Mongrel
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0>

Looking at the gem install itself, everything seems to have been created
correctly. I have a mongrel.rb in mongrel's lib dir, just can't seem to ge=
it to actually LOAD correctly. Any help would be great.

--
=3D=3D=3DTanner Burson=3D=3D=3D
(e-mail address removed)

------=_Part_5203_20381648.1138977675536

Like Daniel Sheppard in the previous version I'm getting errors when
attempting the following on windows:

irb(main):001:0> require_gem 'mongrel'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0> p Mongrel
NameError: uninitialized constant Mongrel
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0>

Looking at the gem install itself, everything seems to have been created
correctly. I have a mongrel.rb in mongrel's lib dir, just can't seem to
get it to actually LOAD correctly. Any help would be great.

Sorry for the double post, but as it turns out I get an Identical error on
my Debian box as well, so something in the install seems to be a bit
fubar'd.

--
=3D=3D=3DTanner Burson=3D=3D=3D
(e-mail address removed)
http://tannerburson.com <---Might even work one day...

------=_Part_5203_20381648.1138977675536--

zedshaw

Did you make sure to require rubygems first? Here's my install:

[zedshaw@dinky ~]$ irb -rubygems
irb(main):001:0> require 'mongrel'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0>
[zedshaw@dinky ~]$
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'mongrel'
=3D> true
[zedshaw@dinky ~]$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'mongrel'
LoadError: no such file to load -- http11
from ./mongrel.rb:2:in `require'
from ./mongrel.rb:2
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

If you do irb -rubygems then it works. If you require 'rubygems' first it
works. If you do neither it blows up.

Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/

Tanner Burson

------=_Part_5443_20537718.1138979230548

Did you make sure to require rubygems first? Here's my install:

[zedshaw@dinky ~]$ irb -rubygems
irb(main):001:0> require 'mongrel'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0>
[zedshaw@dinky ~]$
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'mongrel'
=3D> true
[zedshaw@dinky ~]$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'mongrel'
LoadError: no such file to load -- http11
from ./mongrel.rb:2:in `require'
from ./mongrel.rb:2
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

If you do irb -rubygems then it works. If you require 'rubygems' first it
works. If you do neither it blows up.

Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/

Nope, different error now. (Other gems work just fine, so I don't think
it's my gem install)

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'mongrel'
NameError: uninitialized constant Mongrel
from ./mongrel.rb:4
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `require=
'
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0>

Sorry for the double post, but as it turns out I get an Identical error on
my Debian box as well, so something in the install seems to be a bit
fubar'd.

--
=3D=3D=3DTanner Burson=3D=3D=3D
(e-mail address removed)
http://tannerburson.com <---Might even work one day...

------=_Part_5443_20537718.1138979230548--

Sascha Ebach

* Fixed a header so that win32 folks can build it.

What do I need to try to build it on win32? Can someone point me to the
right compiler?

-Sascha Ebach

zedshaw

Nope, different error now. (Other gems work just fine, so I don't thin= k
it's my gem install)

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=3D> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'mongrel'
NameError: uninitialized constant Mongrel
from ./mongrel.rb:4
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require'
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0>

Are you sure that you don't have any previous versions of Mongrel
installed via source? Or is ./mongrel.rb a file you're working on that's
getting loaded when you do require? The reason I ask is "from
/mongrel.rb:4" means that you're trying to use Mongrel modules at line 4=

Tanner Burson

------=_Part_30659_15310706.1139239961260