[ANN] Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.2 -- Iron Mongrel (Parser Fix)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Zed Shaw, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Zed Shaw

    Zed Shaw Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    This is an ultra quick announce for a bug fix release to Mongrel. It
    corrects a small change in the HTTP parser that causes an error when people
    use multi-part forms in a certain way. The fix is literally 4 characters
    changed in the parser specification.

    Everyone should update to this release and let me know if their forms act
    really weird. I've tested various upload types but some folks seem to be
    doing original upload encodings. This parser should catch them
    consistently.

    You can upgrade using:

    gem upgrade

    Or using:

    gem install mongrel

    I just posted the gems so it might take a bit to get the fix.

    Zed A. Shaw
    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

    Zed Shaw, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Zed Shaw

    James Britt Guest

    Zed Shaw wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >=20
    > This is an ultra quick announce for a bug fix release to Mongrel. It
    > corrects a small change in the HTTP parser that causes an error when pe=

    ople
    > use multi-part forms in a certain way. The fix is literally 4 characte=

    rs
    > changed in the parser specification.
    >=20
    > Everyone should update to this release and let me know if their forms a=

    ct
    > really weird. I've tested various upload types but some folks seem to =

    be
    > doing original upload encodings. This parser should catch them
    > consistently.
    >=20
    > You can upgrade using:
    >=20
    > gem upgrade

    Won't that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?

    --=20
    James Britt

    =93Design depends largely on constraints.=94
    =97 Charles Eames

    James Britt, Apr 4, 2006

  3. Zed Shaw

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Re: Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.2 -- Iron Mongrel (Parser Fix)

    James Britt wrote:
    > Zed Shaw wrote:
    >> consistently.
    >>
    >> You can upgrade using:
    >>
    >> gem upgrade

    > Won't that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?

    No, it wont.

    Actually, it won't do anything.

    I'm sure it meant the 'update' command. Something like:

    gem update mongrel

    --
    -- Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich, Apr 4, 2006
  4. Zed Shaw

    James Britt Guest

    Jim Weirich wrote:
    > James Britt wrote:
    >
    >>Zed Shaw wrote:
    >>
    >>>consistently.
    >>>
    >>>You can upgrade using:
    >>>
    >>> gem upgrade

    >>Won't that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?

    > No, it wont.
    >

    > Actually, it won't do anything.
    >
    > I'm sure it meant the 'update' command. Something like:
    >
    > gem update mongrel

    Ah. But 'update' all by itself still updates *all* gems, without
    warning or prompting for confirmation.

    (At least I think so; I just ran it, then ctrl-C'ed it, when it appeared
    as if it was about to fetch updates for everything, which would make me
    sad.)

    --
    James Britt

    http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

    James Britt, Apr 4, 2006
  5. Zed Shaw

    James Britt wrote:
    > Jim Weirich wrote:
    >>>Won't that upgrade ALL of the installed gems?

    > Ah. But 'update' all by itself still updates *all* gems, without
    > warning or prompting for confirmation.

    Yes, it will. I meant to say that too, but forgot.

    --
    -- Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich, Apr 4, 2006
  6. Zed Shaw

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Re: [ANN] Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.2 -- Iron Mongrel (Parse

    Jonathan Weiss wrote:

    >> I just posted the gems so it might take a bit to get the fix.

    > I do not know, if this is related to the deployment of the gems.
    >
    > # gem install mongrel
    > Attempting local installation of 'mongrel'

    [...]
    > Install required dependency daemons? [Yn]
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    > parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

    Hmmm ... my guess is that you are running Ruby 1.8.2 and the daemons gem
    was generated on a Ruby 1.8.3 system. 1.8.3 omitted the "---" prefix on
    yaml output which makes it incompatible with 1.8.2 systems. The Yaml in
    Ruby 1.8.4 generates the '---' (to be compatible with 1.8.2) and will
    accept yaml without the '---' (to be compatible with 1.8.3).

    Confused yet?

    Your course of action is to

    (1) upgrade to Ruby 1.8.4
    (2) talk the daemons author (or some other kind soul) to provide an
    update

    There is also a (3) option, which is try out the beta version of the
    gems command (which patches 1.8.3 gems on the fly), but we just started
    testing that and I'm not recommending it for general consumption yet.

    --
    -- Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich, Apr 4, 2006
  7. Re: [ANN] Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.2 -- Iron Mongrel (Parse

    Jim Weirich wrote:
    > Jonathan Weiss wrote:
    >>> I just posted the gems so it might take a bit to get the fix.

    >> I do not know, if this is related to the deployment of the gems.
    >>
    >> # gem install mongrel
    >> Attempting local installation of 'mongrel'

    > [...]
    >> Install required dependency daemons? [Yn]
    >> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    >> parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

    > Hmmm ... my guess is that you are running Ruby 1.8.2 and the daemons gem
    > was generated on a Ruby 1.8.3 system.

    You're right, I'm on 1.8.2 (on OS X) but I never had any problems with
    daemons or older version of Mongrel with it.

    I will update Ruby.

    Thanks,
    Jonathan

    --
    Jonathan Weiss
    http://blog.innerewut.de

    Jonathan Weiss, Apr 4, 2006
  8. Zed Shaw

    Jonathan Weiss wrote:
    > Jim Weirich wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmmm ... my guess is that you are running Ruby 1.8.2 and the daemons gem
    >> was generated on a Ruby 1.8.3 system.

    > You're right, I'm on 1.8.2 (on OS X) but I never had any problems with
    > daemons or older version of Mongrel with it.
    >
    > I will update Ruby.

    Looks like daemons was just updated today. (Actually, my gemwatcher
    tells me that almost 20 gems were updated just today. Wow, busy day!)

    --
    -- Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich, Apr 4, 2006
  9. Zed Shaw

    Zed Shaw Guest

    Re: Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.2 -- Iron Mongrel (Parser Fix)

    Thanks folks, I was rushing to get that fix out since the parser was broken
    for people doing file uploads.

    Zed A. Shaw
    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/