[ANN] Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12 -- Pre-Release

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Zed Shaw, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Zed Shaw

    Zed Shaw Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    Mongrel is due for a 0.3.12 release which will feature some pretty insane
    goodies for everyone. There's talk of IOWA support, lots of speed
    improvements (including sendfile support), a great Configurator which makes
    configuring Mongrel a snap (especially for framework implementers), and a
    ton of debugging stuff.

    WARNING

    This is a pre-release announcement for the Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.
    That's ****PRE-release*** not release, not gold, not stable, not
    will-keep-your-children-alive-in-a-snow-storm release. PRE. PRE means it
    will not work for you. PRE means you will test and tell me what's wrong
    because you like me and Mongrel. PRE means you will not run this release on
    your MoneyMakerWeb2OhMatic 6000 web site and then complain to me that you
    have lost billions in the baby trafficking market.

    DON'T CRY

    Now that everyone is sufficiently scared, the list of what's changed is
    given at:

    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/news.html

    Go ahead and do this to try out the 0.3.12 release for me (pretty please):

    $ gem uninstall mongrel
    $ gem uninstall gem_plugin
    $ gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

    And if you want to play with the deadly edge you can also do:

    $ gem install sendfile

    This will give you a sendfile send for all of your static files. Even
    though everyone was raving about sendfile speed being like setting a cat on
    fire, it's actually only about 20% faster. Let me know what you find (and
    if it works).

    CHANGES

    * A more complete Configurator and RailsConfigurator. These make setting up
    Rails super easy but is mostly for framework implementers to use. Still,
    it's wicked neat API.
    * The mongrel_rails script is implemented using the new Configurator scheme
    and works much better.
    * You can pass a config file to mongrel_rails start and it will load that
    (command line options override) using the -C option.
    * Graceful restart works more reliably (not in Win32 since it uses
    services).
    * Reload works better and doesn't break the restart.
    * More logging of the start-up process.
    * There is a wicked nice debugging framework that logs object counts, open
    files, and request params between each request. Try mongrel_rails start -B
    and look in log/mongrel_debug.
    * The Rails specific components are now in Mongrel::Rails modules.
    * More examples using the Mongrel::Configurator.
    * Dramatic speed improvements on FreeBSD, especially if you install the
    ruby18-nopthreads version.
    * Slight speed improvements on Mac OSX. OSX is like shoving a slug through
    a cheese grater. What's wrong with Apple?
    * Platforms that can install ruby-sendfile will get an estimated 20% speed
    boost in static file serving. This is currently FreeBSD, Linux, and
    Solaris.
    * Lots of little bug fixes and minor speed tweaks.

    Try out the release and let me know if I missed anything. It should work
    with Rails 1.1RC1 but I haven't tested extensively.

    SPONSORSHIP

    Mongrel now has sponsorship from Eastmedia (http://www.eastmedia.com) in
    partnership with Verisign (http://www.verisign.com/) to make Mongrel fast
    and stable enough for enterprise class loads (meaning "gigantic", not "Java
    style"). Their sponsorship has made it possible to get large pools of test
    servers, payment to work on Mongrel, and a real application to use Mongrel
    on. Everyone should toss out a thanks to them since this may mean I'll get
    to work on Mongrel full time in the near future and it will raise the
    quality of Ruby application hosting in general. Not to mention the fact
    that they are letting all of my Mongrel work stay LGPL licensed and open
    source.

    Other companies benefiting from Ruby should take this as an example. I can
    think of quite a few things (Ruby 1.9 and a real virtual machine are just
    two) that need some serious commercial cash to get them in gear. If you're
    making money off Ruby consider hiring a developer part-time, full-time, or
    posting a bounty for something you and the community needs. There's no
    better time for enlightened self-interest than now.

    Zed A. Shaw
    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    Zed Shaw, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Zed Shaw

    Sascha Ebach Guest

    > SPONSORSHIP
    >
    > Mongrel now has sponsorship from Eastmedia (http://www.eastmedia.com) in
    > partnership with Verisign (http://www.verisign.com/) to make Mongrel fast
    > and stable enough for enterprise class loads (meaning "gigantic", not "Java
    > style"). Their sponsorship has made it possible to get large pools of test
    > servers, payment to work on Mongrel, and a real application to use Mongrel
    > on. Everyone should toss out a thanks to them since this may mean I'll get
    > to work on Mongrel full time in the near future and it will raise the
    > quality of Ruby application hosting in general. Not to mention the fact
    > that they are letting all of my Mongrel work stay LGPL licensed and open
    > source.

    Oh my, this is so cool. Big props to them. I am really excited to see what
    will come out of that. This should happen more often and I have a feeling
    it probably will (all thanks to Rails).

    -Sascha Ebach
    Sascha Ebach, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Zed Shaw

    Bill Kelly Guest

    > Oh my, this is so cool. Big props to them. I am really excited to see what
    > will come out of that. This should happen more often and I have a feeling
    > it probably will (all thanks to Rails).

    All thanks to matz ?

    ;)
    Bill Kelly, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Zed Shaw wrote:
> [...]
    > servers, payment to work on Mongrel, and a real application to use Mongrel
    > on. Everyone should toss out a thanks to them since this may mean I'll get
    > to work on Mongrel full time in the near future and it will raise the
    > quality of Ruby application hosting in general. Not to mention the fact
    > that they are letting all of my Mongrel work stay LGPL licensed and open
    > source.
    >
    > Other companies benefiting from Ruby should take this as an example. I can
    > think of quite a few things (Ruby 1.9 and a real virtual machine are just
    > two) that need some serious commercial cash to get them in gear. If you're
    > making money off Ruby consider hiring a developer part-time, full-time, or
    > posting a bounty for something you and the community needs. There's no
    > better time for enlightened self-interest than now.

    Might be worth a post to provide a couple of addr's to which all who
    wish to could send a 'Thanks' to to

    Reid Thompson, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Zed Shaw

    James Britt Guest

    Bill Kelly wrote:
    >> Oh my, this is so cool. Big props to them. I am really excited to see=20
    >> what will come out of that. This should happen more often and I have a=

    =20
    >> feeling it probably will (all thanks to Rails).

    >=20
    >=20
    > All thanks to matz ?
    >=20

    Indeed.

    Thanks, matz!

    --=20
    James Britt

    =93Design depends largely on constraints.=94
    =97 Charles Eames
    James Britt, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Zed Shaw

    Zed Shaw Guest

    On 3/27/06 9:36 AM, "Reid Thompson" <> wrote:

    > Zed Shaw wrote:
    >> SPONSORSHIP
    >>
    >> Mongrel now has sponsorship from Eastmedia (http://www.eastmedia.com) in
    >> partnership with Verisign (http://www.verisign.com/) to make Mongrel fast
    >> and stable enough for enterprise class loads (meaning "gigantic", not "Java
    >> style"). Their sponsorship has made it possible to get large pools of test
    >> servers, payment to work on Mongrel, and a real application to use Mongrel
    >> on. Everyone should toss out a thanks to them since this may mean I'll get
    >> to work on Mongrel full time in the near future and it will raise the
    >> quality of Ruby application hosting in general. Not to mention the fact
    >> that they are letting all of my Mongrel work stay LGPL licensed and open
    >> source.
    >>
    >> Other companies benefiting from Ruby should take this as an example. I can
    >> think of quite a few things (Ruby 1.9 and a real virtual machine are just
    >> two) that need some serious commercial cash to get them in gear. If you're
    >> making money off Ruby consider hiring a developer part-time, full-time, or
    >> posting a bounty for something you and the community needs. There's no
    >> better time for enlightened self-interest than now.
    >>

    >> Zed A. Shaw
    >> http://www.zedshaw.com/
    >>

    > Might be worth a post to provide a couple of addr's to which all who
    > wish to could send a 'Thanks' to to
    >
    > Eastmedia (http://www.eastmedia.com) in
    > partnership with Verisign (http://www.verisign.com/)

    You can send thank-you e-mails to Matt Pelletier ( ) and
    flowers to the address on http://www.eastmedia.com/ :)

    Zed A. Shaw
    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/