[ANN] Moving blogs yet again (blog.majesticseacreature.com)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Hi folks,

    This is a one time announcement of where the bulk of my Ruby writing
    will be in the future.

    You'll be able to find it at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com

    Please be advised that I'm aware my blogging engine is totally lame,
    but it makes me happy, which means I might be more inclined to write
    more / better.

    This won't be limited to Ruby discussion, but it should stay fairly
    technical. When I started my other blog, I never guessed not everyone
    would like random rants on religion, politics, and the occasional bad
    poetry.

    This one will be more on topic and possibly more relevant. :)

    -greg

    PS: I know I move my blog too frequently, so I'll try to at least stay
    at the URL mentioned above for a while. :)

    PPS: Sorry for the noise to those uninterested.

    Gregory Brown, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Gregory Brown

    James Britt Guest

    Gregory Brown wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This is a one time announcement of where the bulk of my Ruby writing
    > will be in the future.
    >
    > You'll be able to find it at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com

    If possible, have the old site (and feeds) issue an HTTP 301 Moved
    Permanently header with the new URLs.

    --
    James Britt

    www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

    James Britt, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Re: Moving blogs yet again (blog.majesticseacreature.com)

    Gregory Brown wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This is a one time announcement of where the bulk of my Ruby writing
    > will be in the future.
    >
    > You'll be able to find it at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
    >
    > Please be advised that I'm aware my blogging engine is totally lame,
    > but it makes me happy, which means I might be more inclined to write
    > more / better.

    The comment system (or the lack thereof) is a major issue here -- I've
    been down a similar road myself, and if it weren't for that I may have
    stayed there. It's fun... but then again, is it a good use of one's
    time?

    T.

    Thomas Sawyer, Aug 6, 2008
  4. Gregory Brown

    Marc Heiler Guest

    Re: Moving blogs yet again (blog.majesticseacreature.com)

    > The comment system (or the lack thereof) is a major issue here

    I always fancied it this way - the simpler, the better. If it is
    somewhat elegant while staying simple, it is almost perfect. :)

    The only thing I really hate about comment systems in general are
    certain type of captchas (not all).

    Marc Heiler, Aug 6, 2008
  5. Re: Moving blogs yet again (blog.majesticseacreature.com)

    Marc Heiler wrote:
    >> The comment system (or the lack thereof) is a major issue here

    > I always fancied it this way - the simpler, the better. If it is
    > somewhat elegant while staying simple, it is almost perfect. :)
    >
    > The only thing I really hate about comment systems in general are
    > certain type of captchas (not all).

    Do you have any idea for a solution? -- A simpler, better comment
    system?

    T.

    Thomas Sawyer, Aug 6, 2008
  6. Gregory Brown

    Tim Pease Guest

    On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:17 AM, Thomas Sawyer wrote:

    > Marc Heiler wrote:
    >>> The comment system (or the lack thereof) is a major issue here

    >> I always fancied it this way - the simpler, the better. If it is
    >> somewhat elegant while staying simple, it is almost perfect. :)
    >>
    >> The only thing I really hate about comment systems in general are
    >> certain type of captchas (not all).

    > Do you have any idea for a solution? -- A simpler, better comment
    > system?

    http://disqus.com

    integrates perfectly into static web pages

    see http://reinh.com for an example

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Aug 6, 2008
  7. Re: Moving blogs yet again (blog.majesticseacreature.com)

    On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Tim Pease <> wrote:

    > On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:17 AM, Thomas Sawyer wrote:

    >> Do you have any idea for a solution? -- A simpler, better comment
    >> system?
    >>

    > http://disqus.com
    >
    > integrates perfectly into static web pages
    >
    > see http://reinh.com for an example

    Oh, thanks for suggesting this Tim, I've integrated it. I'll put it
    out crazy fast if I start getting spammed, but it'll do for now.

    http://blog.majesticseacreature.com/archives/2008.08/comment_system.html

    -greg

    --
    Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com | Non-tech
    stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com

    Gregory Brown, Aug 6, 2008
  8. On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:46 AM, James Britt <> wrote:

    > If possible, have the old site (and feeds) issue an HTTP 301 Moved
    > Permanently header with the new URLs.

    None of them have quite died, just been re-purposed, or are so dead no
    one is looking anymore :)
    In the future, I'll just do that rather than make the announcement :)

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Aug 6, 2008