[ANN] mrplot-0.0.1

Malte Harder

Hi everyone,

I just released my first ruby project: mrplot

It is a general purpose plotting library, written entirely in ruby. You
need RMagick to use it at the moment (additional backends will be
developed in the future). I would still call it alpha, even though it
creates nice plots.

You can find the project's site at:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/mrplot/

The docs/description and example plots can be found here:

http://www.harderweb.de/harderware/index.php?mod=mrplot&lang=en

There are a few known issues:

- The font metrics are wrong if you use another font or font size (I
don't know if this depends on my freetype installation)
- It is very very slow, but I discovered the profiler not until yesterday.
- It is my first ruby program I've ever written and I'm not very
familiar with the ruby syntax, so expect some major changes in structure
in the next time :)

Malte

Robert Feldt

This looks very nice. Thanks, this will be useful.

I would hope for a OpenGL backend at some time even though that might
not be as straightforward as some other possible targets.

Best,

Robert Feldt

Malte Harder

Robert said:
This looks very nice. Thanks, this will be useful.

I would hope for a OpenGL backend at some time even though that might
not be as straightforward as some other possible targets.

Good idea, why not. I think it would not be as hard as it looks at
first. Does anybody know how to get GLUT/OpenGL <-> Ruby running on OS X ?

mepython

Images looks beautiful, code is small. Great work. Can you add some
more examples which are very minimalistic in nature.

Tim Hunter

Malte said:
Hi everyone,

I just released my first ruby project: mrplot

It is a general purpose plotting library, written entirely in ruby. You
need RMagick to use it at the moment (additional backends will be
developed in the future). I would still call it alpha, even though it
creates nice plots.

Sweet! Pretty good for somebody who claims to be new to Ruby :)

Bil Kleb

Malte said:
I just released my first ruby project: mrplot

Excellent, thanks for sharing!

Please send your snail mail address. I'd like to send
a poignant token of appreciation if the postage doesn't
kill me.

Regards,

Robert Feldt

Sorry, don't know about OSX (though I'm thinking about getting a Mac
mini to try it out ;)) but one thing to ponder if you go for an OpenGL
backend might be to allow animation in setting up / drawing the
graphs. For example, in a bar graph, first the grid and x and y axes
and labels and then the bars grow up/down from the axis. Just a
thought for a version 2.0 or so... :)

Best,

Robert