ANN: Munkware 0.3

Jeremy Jones

Munkware, a transactional and persistent queueing mechanism, is proud to
announce version 0.3 for public consumption. One bug fix in this release:

- Now checks for proper index on all put_commit() and get_commit() calls.

The Sourceforge Project page is located at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/munkware/ and the project home page is located
at http://munkware.sourceforge.net/

I'm currently working on a quasi-RESTish (web services/HTTP) interface for
Munkware rather than going the SOAP route that I had initially thought. I've
got a design about 3/4 of the way hammered out, but no code so far on that. I'm
planning on (at least as a first stab) using the standard library BaseHTTPServer
to run it from. Hopefully, I'll be able to get something present-able in the
next couple of weeks.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to email them to me.

Jeremy Jones

Rodrigo Benenson

as common, using twistedmatrix.com will ease a lot to you to provide remote
access methods

rodrigob.

Etienne Posthumus

- I've been hankering for an opportunity to begin work on a RESTish
framework
and this is as good of a chance as any. If I am pleased with how it
turns
out, I may distill the REST features out and create a second open
source project
for it alone.

If you like toying with REST ideas, have a peek at the Quixote
framework [1]. For me it has been the shortest route to going from REST
ideas to implementation in Python. But of course you might want to do
your own framework for fun/learning.

Etienne Posthumus
Amsterdam, Nederland

[1] http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

Jeremy Jones

* Rodrigo Benenson ([email protected]) said:
as common, using twistedmatrix.com will ease a lot to you to provide remote
access methods

rodrigob.

I seriously considered using Twisted (as well as Pyro) as a network interface as
opposed to SOAP, REST, Corba or some home-grown protocol, but I really wanted to
do 2 things:

- create a queueing system that is language independent (so either Corba or some
web services interface would be better suited for that), just in case folks
who are using the wrong language take a liking to Munkware :)
- I've been hankering for an opportunity to begin work on a RESTish framework
and this is as good of a chance as any. If I am pleased with how it turns
out, I may distill the REST features out and create a second open source project
for it alone.

I'm not intimately familiar with Twisted, so it just may be that Twisted has
provided wrappers for other languages, but that would still leave the fun of
creating my own REST-like framework.

Jeremy Jones