ANN: Munkware 0.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeremy Jones, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Jeremy Jones

    Jeremy Jones Guest

    Munkware, a transactional and persistent queueing mechanism, is proud to
    announce version 0.3 for public consumption. One bug fix in this release:

    - Now checks for proper index on all put_commit() and get_commit() calls.

    The Sourceforge Project page is located at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/munkware/ and the project home page is located
    at http://munkware.sourceforge.net/

    I'm currently working on a quasi-RESTish (web services/HTTP) interface for
    Munkware rather than going the SOAP route that I had initially thought. I've
    got a design about 3/4 of the way hammered out, but no code so far on that. I'm
    planning on (at least as a first stab) using the standard library BaseHTTPServer
    to run it from. Hopefully, I'll be able to get something present-able in the
    next couple of weeks.

    If you have any suggestions, please feel free to email them to me.

    Jeremy Jones

    Jeremy Jones, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Re: Munkware 0.3

    as common, using twistedmatrix.com will ease a lot to you to provide remote
    access methods

    rodrigob.

    Rodrigo Benenson, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Re: Munkware 0.3

    On Jan 19, 2004, at 11:51 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
    > - I've been hankering for an opportunity to begin work on a RESTish
    > framework
    > and this is as good of a chance as any. If I am pleased with how it
    > turns
    > out, I may distill the REST features out and create a second open
    > source project
    > for it alone.

    If you like toying with REST ideas, have a peek at the Quixote
    framework [1]. For me it has been the shortest route to going from REST
    ideas to implementation in Python. But of course you might want to do
    your own framework for fun/learning.

    Etienne Posthumus
    Amsterdam, Nederland

    [1] http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

    Etienne Posthumus, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Jeremy Jones

    Jeremy Jones Guest

    Re: Munkware 0.3

    * Rodrigo Benenson () wrote:
    > as common, using twistedmatrix.com will ease a lot to you to provide remote
    > access methods
    >
    > rodrigob.

    I seriously considered using Twisted (as well as Pyro) as a network interface as
    opposed to SOAP, REST, Corba or some home-grown protocol, but I really wanted to
    do 2 things:

    - create a queueing system that is language independent (so either Corba or some
    web services interface would be better suited for that), just in case folks
    who are using the wrong language take a liking to Munkware :)
    - I've been hankering for an opportunity to begin work on a RESTish framework
    and this is as good of a chance as any. If I am pleased with how it turns
    out, I may distill the REST features out and create a second open source project
    for it alone.

    I'm not intimately familiar with Twisted, so it just may be that Twisted has
    provided wrappers for other languages, but that would still leave the fun of
    creating my own REST-like framework.

    Jeremy Jones

    Jeremy Jones, Jan 19, 2004