[ANN] My book is out -- Ruby on Rails: Up and Running

Dark Ambient

Congrats Curt. Question though, why is a quick start guide selling for $30 ?
I tried to see chapter listings on the page but couldn't find.
Is there something more in this book then in the the quick starts
already out on the web ?

Stuart

Elliot Temple

Congrats Curt. Question though, why is a quick start guide selling
for $30 ?
I tried to see chapter listings on the page but couldn't find.
Is there something more in this book then in the the quick starts
already out on the web ?

Hint: It's 182 pages.

Please don't top post.

-- Elliot Temple
http://www.curi.us/blog/

Greg Donald

Curt Hibbs

I can't answer you on the pricing -- I had nothing to do with that,
but it us *way* more detailed (in both depth and breadth) that than
quick start tutorials on the web. Its also got a really nice quick
reference appendedix that pretty much coveres the entire feature set
with links to more detailed info on the web.

Curt

Brian Moelk

Curt said:
I can't answer you on the pricing -- I had nothing to do with that,

Is there a way to purchase both the book and pdf in a discounted bundle
like the pragmatic books? Or if the pdf is available at a discounted
rate once the book is purchased?

Thanks,
-Brian

Steve Litt

Congrats Curt. Question though, why is a quick start guide selling for $30
? I tried to see chapter listings on the page but couldn't find.
Is there something more in this book then in the the quick starts
already out on the web ?

I can answer that.

My book, "Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist", is 309
pages and sells for $42.50, because lots of people perceive that its info
will save them way more than $42.50 in a few months. Now let's look at Curt's
book:

The press release quotes Curt thusly:

"However, if they want the shortest, easiest way to jumpstart their knowledge
of Ruby on Rails, this book will save them a lot of time."

If that's true, this book is worth a lot more than $30.00.

I need to rewrite all of Troubleshooters.Com's business processes, in Rails,
so that my wife and/or daughter can run the business when I'm out of town.
Rails is a huge, broad, and not always easy topic, and if Curt's book can
help me quickly understand Rails' big picture and get me started designing
and coding my new business processes, it's worth many multiples of $30.00.

I already have "Agile Web Development with Rails", which is worth waaayyyy
more than its purchase price, and has helped me immensely. However, for the
short term I'd like a less comprehensive book with a shorter learning curve.

As far as why it's better than existing web quickstarts, I can compare it to
my Ruby tutorial at
http://www.troubleshooters.cxm/codecorn/ruby/rails/rapidlearning_rails.htm.
My tutorial is great -- for something that was written in 2 days. There are
better web tutorials out there than mine, but I believe most are one man
efforts, probably done with time gleaned from a technologist's free time, not
done as a full time effort.

I bet Curt spent 2 to 9 months writing and helping produce his book. His book
has been independently tech-edited and grammer edited. It's been layed out
professionaly. O'Reilly probably gave him guidelines on style and what to
include, what to leave out, based on O'Reilly's long and intimate knowledge
of what technologists like.

I haven't read Curt's book, so I can't comment on its quality. All I can say
is that if it lives up to its goal of quickly getting someone up to speed on
Rails, and that person has an economic motivation to learn Rails, Curt's book
is worth considerably more than $30.00.

When I saw the press release a few days ago, I was excited and put it on my
list of possible books to buy.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
* Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
* Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
* Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
* Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
* Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm

James Britt

John said:
Interesting. When I first checked the page, there was a pdf available
for purchase, as well as the printed book. Now it's just the printed
book.

Ah, well, the PDF version sold out.

:)

Ed Howland

From your StLouis.rb friends, congrats.

How soon do you think Borders will be to carry it?

Ed

Curt Hibbs

Interesting. When I first checked the page, there was a pdf available
for purchase, as well as the printed book. Now it's just the printed
book.

---John

I'll bet the PDF isn't ready yet (or they never intended to have it
for this book) and when I reported the problem, they relized the
mistake and pulled it.

Curt

I just got an answer back. The PDF will be available by Monday.

Curt

cobyr

I'll bet the PDF isn't ready yet (or they never intended to have it
for this book) and when I reported the problem, they relized the
mistake and pulled it.

Curt

I bought the rough cut PDF version on Safari, and am able to read the book
on my Safari account still. There does not appear to be a PDF of the
release.

I do have the PDF that was updated June 08, 2006, that I'll hang onto.

-Coby Randquist

Rob Sanheim

Here it is for a bit less:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...5193/ref=pd_bbs_4/103-3918823-7043036?ie=UTF8

and even less:

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0596101325

$20 does seem pretty high for a book with less than 200 pages.
Especially since I just picked up Ruby Cookbook brand new from the
used section on Amazon for $31 including shipping, and it's nearly 900
pages.

More pages doesn't necessarily mean more value. Some books are meant
to be the size of dictionaries (_ruby cookbook_) - others aren't.

The pragmatics' books are often pretty short (ie _Ship It_, _Pragmatic
Automate_, _Practices of an Agile Developer are all under 300 pages
IIRC), and yet they are almost always worth the $35 direct or ~$20
from Amazon.

- rob

Robert Nicholson

It's a bit niave to think that the pricing wouldn't be opportunism
here. An attempt to cash in on the popularity of Ruby on Rails at the
moment. I agree the most a book like this should cost is about
$25.99. $30 is pushing your luck.

Xavier Noria

Companies do whatever pricing the consider to do, they have the right
to do so. Normally outsiders have the finest idea about the rationale
and any attempt to say this is cheap or expensive is just worthless
speculation.

Please stop complaining about the price, just ponder whether the
price seems OK TO YOU and take a decission about the purchase.

John Gabriele

It's a bit niave to think that the pricing wouldn't be opportunism
here. An attempt to cash in on the popularity of Ruby on Rails at the
moment. I agree the most a book like this should cost is about
$25.99. $30 is pushing your luck.

Well, I just ordered my hardcopy for $30, and since O'reilly gave me
free shipping, it's kinda' like paying $26 + shipping.

And they're not even charging me for the box! ;)

---John

Lyle Johnson

More pages doesn't necessarily mean more value.

Exactly. While it's well known that one can, for example, measure the
productivity of a programmer by the number of lines of codes that he
generates per hour, one cannot similarly measure the quality of a book
by its page count.