ANN: NamerTamer Photo Processor

Discussion in 'Python' started by Justin Shaw, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Justin Shaw

    Justin Shaw Guest

    Check out NamerTamer at http://namertamer.sourceforge.net/. I have had
    this project on sourceforge for quite a while with little to no activity.
    If your a digital photographer and your not interested, I want to know why.
    You can rename a whole slew of images, remove redeye, and rotate them in a
    jiff. No heavy lifting here, everyone already has their favorite image
    editor already. Give it a try and give me some feed back whether you like
    the program or not.

    Thanks,
    Justin

    NamerTamer is a photo processor designed to speed up and simplify the common
    tasks associated with digital photo management: renaming, rotating,
    cropping, red eye editing, and thumbnailing. Each task is expedited via a
    "Hot-Key" sequence using either the <Ctrl> or <Alt> key to avoid menu
    navigation and to minimize mouse utilization.
    The speed gained comes at the expense of oft-relied upon safety nets. Files
    can be deleted or over-written without warning or recourse. For this reason
    it is recommended that you practice with NamerTamer using a test directory
    containing copies of the original images. All photo edits are un-doable
    which provides a degree of safety. The two actions with permanent
    repercussions are saving and deleting. NamerTamer makes both of these
    actions easy and quick to accomplish, with the assumption that the user will
    wield these powers with the requisite care.

    Initially I wrote NamerTamer simply to rename the images after uploading
    them from a digital camera. Windows XP's Explorer was almost up to this task
    as thumbnails of the images can easily be viewed and rotated directly in
    Explorer. Renaming several images is cumbersome and requires jumping back
    and forth between the keyboard and mouse for each image. Another minor peeve
    was that the extension had to be retyped for each image.

    NamerTamer -- Makes common tasks easy and leaves the rest to GIMP.
    Justin Shaw, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Justin Shaw

    Jeff Epler Guest

    I'm not interested. Here are some of the reasons that come to mind.

    0. If I had seen "namertamer" in a list of software, even graphics-related
    software, I would have had no idea that it performed operations like
    resize, crop, and red-eye reduction.

    1. I can't tell what requirements the program has, and whether it'll
    run on Unix in the first place.

    2. The most common task I perform, and the one that should be the most
    automatable, is crop & resize for printing. I don't see that on the
    list of actions your software performs. (Crop region with appropriate
    aspect ratio, resize to at most WxH pixels, and save a copy)

    3. This program will be very threatening for a beginning user. Remember,
    everyone but you will begin using this software as a beginner. Put all
    the commands in a nicely-organized menu bar or on a toolbar, which
    provides a way to teach users the keyboard shortcut at the same time (by
    giving the key-combination in the menu or in the toolbar item's tooltip)

    4. I don't know how much this applies to other digital photographers,
    but once a photo makes it off my camera and onto my hard drive, I want
    to keep a copy of that original jpeg file forever, even if I make some
    adjustments. You suggest manually making a copy and running namertamer,
    but I would rather see this integrated.

    5. If your application is a Windows-specific application, use some Win32
    API to move files to the Recycling Bin or whatever it's called, instead
    of deleting them forever. Then, users can recover from an accidental
    deletion just as though they had deleted the file using Windows Explorer.

    5a. Add a Netscape-style "never ask this question again" to a prompt on
    delete, because all users expect delete to at least ask for confirmation.
    This will allow those users to get what they expect, but allow people
    who trust their fingers to avoid hitting another key at every deletion.

    6. Provide a before & after shot of your red-eye reduction.

    7. For rotation, read the related EXIF tag and automatically rotate the
    image to match it when the image is loaded. On save, set the EXIF tag
    to indicate that the image is properly oriented.

    8. Preserve EXIF information on save.

    9. Why are "rect" and "oval" radiobuttons instead of keyboard shortcuts?
    Why don't you use standard icons for rectangular and oval selection,
    like all the other programs in the world?

    Jeff

    Jeff Epler, Jul 27, 2004