[ANN] New RCRchive, including new process

dblack

Hi everyone --

The new RCRchive has gone live, at http://www.rcrchive.net.

Please note the following important points:

* We're starting again, and it's for Ruby 1.9/2.0 requests only.
* Yes, I know it's not a design masterpiece :) If you're a
good designer and want to volunteer to help, let me know.
* Comments are no longer entered on-site. Instead, there will
be a mailing list for each RCR.
* Once you've signed up, you can:
- submit RCRs
- vote on RCRs
- subscribe to one or more of the comment/discussion mailing
lists

More help is available at the site, and I'm happy to field questions
and problem reports (subject to holiday schedule :)

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

Trans

Hi everyone --

The new RCRchive has gone live, at http://www.rcrchive.net.

Please note the following important points:

* We're starting again, and it's for Ruby 1.9/2.0 requests only.
* Yes, I know it's not a design masterpiece :) If you're a
good designer and want to volunteer to help, let me know.
* Comments are no longer entered on-site. Instead, there will
be a mailing list for each RCR.
* Once you've signed up, you can:
- submit RCRs
- vote on RCRs
- subscribe to one or more of the comment/discussion mailing
lists

More help is available at the site, and I'm happy to field questions
and problem reports (subject to holiday schedule :)

What's the difference? (Besides the fact that everyone's work and
comments on RCR's prior has now been trashed.) The submit form looks
the same. I don't see any mention of the "mailing lists". I even had to
re-register. I don't get it. Rather the rejuvenate the RCR process in
any way, I this is driving the death nail through it. With all this,
who wants to bother anymore?

Personally I think the whole idea of mailing list for _each RCR_ is too
much. No one's going to take the time to join a mailing list for a
single RCR. Very few people ever commented on the RCRs as it was. I
mean really. Is this just some way to shut people up without being
mean? Sort of Honey-pot for wantabe language designers? If Matz and
core team were really interested in ideas for Ruby 2 from the
community, a dedicated mailing list would be the thing to have. A place
where ideas can be hashed out. If bad, they'd die quickly. If
reasonable, Matz or whomever could encourage a formal submission --at
least then one would know their hard RCR work was going to at least get
carefully looked at.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents.

T.

BTW, I submitted an RCR and RCRchive bombed.

James Edward Gray II

More help is available at the site, and I'm happy to field questions
and problem reports (subject to holiday schedule :)

Here's my first question: all old RCRs have been discarded?

James Edward Gray II

Paul Brannan

- subscribe to one or more of the comment/discussion mailing
lists

Can I subscribe to all of the mailing lists at once? (I'd rather not have
to subscribe to each new ML every time a new RCR is entered).

Paul

James Edward Gray II

Can I subscribe to all of the mailing lists at once? (I'd rather
not have
to subscribe to each new ML every time a new RCR is entered).

Yes. See the Your Account link.

James Edward Gray II

dblack

Hi --

Here's my first question: all old RCRs have been discarded?

That is my understanding, from Matz; he wants to start again, just for
1.9/2.0. I'd like to make the old ones available to read, though,
especially the rejected ones.... :) I haven't yet but I'll work on
that.

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

_why

* Comments are no longer entered on-site. Instead, there will
be a mailing list for each RCR.

This is going to be a huge help. Way to go!

Hey, on the `help' page, could you add a bit more under the "Subscribing to the
mailing lists" section? Specifically, what e-mail address will be sending the
message and any other distinguishing characteristics of the e-mail, so that
filters can be coded to sort the mail?

Another little idea maybe: a few headers with some RCR data. X-RCR-Id and
X-RCR-Author would be really cool.

_why

dblack

Hi --

This is going to be a huge help. Way to go!

Thanks :)
Hey, on the `help' page, could you add a bit more under the "Subscribing to the
mailing lists" section? Specifically, what e-mail address will be sending the
message and any other distinguishing characteristics of the e-mail, so that
filters can be coded to sort the mail?

Yes, I can add something. Meanwhile, check for things with /RCR/i in
the sender :)
Another little idea maybe: a few headers with some RCR data. X-RCR-Id and
X-RCR-Author would be really cool.

I pretty much abandoned using X-headers on the theory that there would
be some Micros**t issue with them... but I guess as long as they're
just advisory it should be OK.

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

dblack

Hi --

How about RSS/Atom feeds? I'd like to subscribe in a more rational way than
via email. -Tim

That's certainly possible; but as to the email, keep in mind that it's
actually where the discussions will take place (not just an irrational
replacement for RSS :)

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

ara.t.howard

How about RSS/Atom feeds? I'd like to subscribe in a more rational way than
via email. -Tim

i think email is pretty rational if you want to have say in the matter! ;-)

-a

dblack

Marc Heiler

"Comments are no longer entered on-site. Instead, there will
be a mailing list for each RCR."

Could there be an option to differ between comments on it, and onto the
mailing list? For example I'd like to only comment on the RCR suggestion
in question, but not necessarily onto the mailing list as well. (I have
no problem if my opinion is then missed, I just want to sometimes
comment quickly on
something with my opinion/point of view).

dblack

Hi --

BTW, I submitted an RCR and RCRchive bombed.

Thanks for the report. I discovered that it was trying to assign a
number to your RCR by adding 1 to the previous number -- but since
yours was the first, it tried to query the number of nil and bombed.

I'm sorry you're finding the new process unappealing. The basics of
it -- the starting again, the separate mailing lists, and so forth --
are all things that Matz asked me to implement. I'm really no more
qualified to discuss them than anyone else (other than Matz), and I'm
not going to make changes except at Matz's direction. So ultimately
you'll have to talk to him. I'd suggest giving it a(nother :) try,
though. I definitely want the whole thing to go smoothly and will try
to make sure that it does.

The other thing I will do in short order is make the old archive
available, on a read-only basis. I also have to do RSS feeds, as Tim
Bray mentioned.

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

dblack

Hi --

Are you allowed to use any HTML in the submition fields? Are there size
limits?

I haven't set any size limits. The input format is Textile. HTML
tags will be escaped before the Textile processing.

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

dblack

Hi --

"Comments are no longer entered on-site. Instead, there will
be a mailing list for each RCR."

Could there be an option to differ between comments on it, and onto the
mailing list? For example I'd like to only comment on the RCR suggestion
in question, but not necessarily onto the mailing list as well. (I have
no problem if my opinion is then missed, I just want to sometimes
comment quickly on
something with my opinion/point of view).

Matz has asked that discussion and comments be offloaded onto the
mailing lists. The emailed comments will appear on the site, but
read-only.

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)

Martin DeMello

The other thing I will do in short order is make the old archive
available, on a read-only basis. I also have to do RSS feeds, as Tim
Bray mentioned.

What's the etiquette on resubmitting old RCRs? There's one in there
I'm very attached to :)

martin

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: New RCRchive, including new process"

|What's the etiquette on resubmitting old RCRs? There's one in there
|I'm very attached to :)

It's OK to resubmit old RCRs, as long as they are not rejected, and
they are well considered.

matz.

Martin DeMello

Hi,

In message "Re: New RCRchive, including new process"

|What's the etiquette on resubmitting old RCRs? There's one in there
|I'm very attached to :)

It's OK to resubmit old RCRs, as long as they are not rejected, and
they are well considered.

Ah - thanks :) Last I saw of that one (rbtree in stdlib) it was still
pending consideration.

martin

dblack

Hi --

Ah - thanks :) Last I saw of that one (rbtree in stdlib) it was still
pending consideration.

I must make the old ones available for reading.... I'll try to do
that this morning.

David

--
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)