[ANN] New RCRchive is open

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David A. Black, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Dear Rubyists --

    I am very pleased to announce the opening of the new, rewritten
    RCRchive, still at http://www.rcrchive.net. The new RCRchive
    is a complete rewrite in Rails.

    Your old username and password should still work. Ruwiki format
    is still used for input, though the interface is less wiki-like
    than it was (you just enter your own comment; you don't edit the
    whole sequence of comments).

    The underlying RCR process has not changed, and as you'll see, the
    basic functionality of the new RCRchive is fairly similar to that
    of the old. But I think it will be more stable and consistent in its
    behavior.

    I've ported all the data over from YAML and Ruwiki files to a MySQL
    database. Everything should be there, though the existing comments
    for any given RCR do not have their authors' names preserved (they
    were split out from wiki text). However, this should not matter much,
    as they tended to be explicity signed (it was a wiki) or not (it was
    a wiki :) In fact, I've retained a bit of the wiki "look": comments
    are still displayed as a single block. So if you want people to know
    who wrote your comment, put your name. (Authorship is however
    recorded in the database.)

    I am very aware of the non-validity of much of the XHTML code on the
    site. At least some of this has to do with the inconsistency of tag
    usage in comments. If anyone has ideas for how to normalize a site
    like this automatically (including the existing data), I'll listen.
    Meanwhile I would like to hear from anyone who has accessibility
    issues with the site.

    I hope you enjoy the new RCRchive. Let me know if you have questions
    or spot problems.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Oct 26, 2004

  2. > I am very pleased to announce the opening of the new, rewritten
    > RCRchive, still at http://www.rcrchive.net. The new RCRchive
    > is a complete rewrite in Rails.

    This is the second major Ruby community site you've moved to Rails. I'm
    deeply honored, David. Please continue your excellent work. It's so
    motivating and inspiring to see how fast you've adopted Rails and the
    great stuff you're putting out with it.

    Now I wonder if it's time for my first, probably ill-conceived, RCR. I
    hate how @person.manager? ? "This is him" : "Not him" looks. It would
    be endlessly prettier if you could omit the double ?, so it would just
    read @person.manager? "This is him" : "Not him".
    --
    David Heinemeier Hansson,
    http://www.basecamphq.com/ -- Web-based Project Management

    David Heinemeier Hansson, Oct 27, 2004

  3. On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:10:53AM +0900, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
    > >I am very pleased to announce the opening of the new, rewritten
    > >RCRchive, still at http://www.rcrchive.net. The new RCRchive
    > >is a complete rewrite in Rails.

    > This is the second major Ruby community site you've moved to Rails. I'm
    > deeply honored, David. Please continue your excellent work. It's so
    > motivating and inspiring to see how fast you've adopted Rails and the
    > great stuff you're putting out with it.
    >
    > Now I wonder if it's time for my first, probably ill-conceived, RCR. I
    > hate how @person.manager? ? "This is him" : "Not him" looks. It would

    I think, it's easier to write:

    @person.is_manager ? "This is him" : ....

    or

    if @person.is_manager? then "blah" else "blah" end

    Regards,

    Michael

    Michael Neumann, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Hi David,
    And I was just getting used to the old site ;) Just kidding, this is wonderful
    news! Glad to see RCRchive improving. And you know me ;) I jumped right over
    to check it out.

    A quick couple of "spots":

    * The voting drop-down and button is where I'd expect the comment submit
    button to be. I almost clicked on it to submit my comment. The voting
    controls should be up by the poll results, took me second to realize where
    they were. Maybe you could slide the pole all the way up top beside the rcr
    itself, and have the controls just underneath.

    * Speaking of the voting I think the options are upside down. Favor should be
    on top and opposed on bottom --me thinks.

    * Comments are centered? Or pushed to the right? Well whatever it is it does
    look a bit odd.

    * I would like to be able to edit my comment after the fact. True wiki style
    did have some advantages, this among them.

    * Comments run together. They need some type of division. It's also harder to
    comment to a specific comment. But maybe that's okay. But again, true wiki
    style does have some advantages.

    * It would also be nice to change one's vote (if one were to change one's
    mind ;)

    * Also it's running slow :(

    * lasly, I think you mentioned this, but HTML is not being rendered. Will we
    need to go back and fix up? We can still go back and fix up the RCRs, yes?

    HTH.

    All in all it's looking on the up and up. Great work David! Thanks.
    --T.

    trans. (T. Onoma), Oct 27, 2004
  5. Hi,

    In message "Re: [ANN] New RCRchive is open"
    on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:23:47 +0900, "David A. Black" <> writes:

    |I hope you enjoy the new RCRchive. Let me know if you have questions
    |or spot problems.

    How can I change the RCR status? For example, I have recently
    accepted 'RCR#284. Let Array#index take a block', how can I move it
    from "pending" to "accepted"?

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Hi --

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:

    > * Comments run together. They need some type of division. It's also harder to
    > comment to a specific comment. But maybe that's okay. But again, true wiki
    > style does have some advantages.

    That's now fixed.

    > * It would also be nice to change one's vote (if one were to change one's
    > mind ;)

    You can. "The voting code has been rewritten so that if you vote
    twice, it overwrites your earlier vote" (from the top of the opening
    page, "things you should be aware of" :)

    > * Also it's running slow :(

    It must be madly popular! :) I can't do much about that at the
    moment. Let's wait and see whether it becomes a real impediment to
    usage.

    > * lasly, I think you mentioned this, but HTML is not being rendered. Will we
    > need to go back and fix up? We can still go back and fix up the RCRs, yes?

    You can edit your own RCRs; when you view one of them, there should be
    an "Edit this RCR" option. For the most part I think the Ruwiki
    format should be adequate without inlined HTML; at least I'd like to
    see how it goes. In the old version I had a very convoluted and
    unwieldy filtering process; I'd like to try to keep it simple this
    time around, I know there are a few stray escaped HTML tags in the
    ported data; at some point I'll look into batch-unescaping them or
    something, if they're enough of a nuisance.

    > HTH.
    >
    > All in all it's looking on the up and up. Great work David! Thanks.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Oct 27, 2004
  7. David A. Black

    Hal Fulton Guest

    David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
    > Now I wonder if it's time for my first, probably ill-conceived, RCR. I
    > hate how @person.manager? ? "This is him" : "Not him" looks. It would be
    > endlessly prettier if you could omit the double ?, so it would just read
    > @person.manager? "This is him" : "Not him".

    Prettier, yes, but problematic. A ?-method can take arguments, of
    course. Have pity on a poor parser.

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Oct 27, 2004
  8. David A. Black

    vruz Guest

    > I hope you enjoy the new RCRchive. Let me know if you have questions
    > or spot problems.

    Great work David, having everything in a database can make a lot of
    tasks much more easier for both the authors and Matz.

    I had a problem though, I wanted to see the state of some comments I
    posted to RCR 198.
    This is the text dump of the error I'm getting, hope this helps:

    ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in Rcr#show
    Showing /rcr/show.rhtml where line #29 raised Couldn't find User without an ID
    26: </td></tr>
    27: <% end %>
    28:
    29: <% if @matz or (User.find(@session['user_id']).name == 'dblack') %>
    30: <h3>Matz only: accept/reject</h3>
    31: <p><%= link_to "ACCEPT RCR #{@rcr.number}", :action => 'accept',
    :id => @rcr.number %></p>
    32: <p><%= link_to "REJECT RCR #{@rcr.number}", :action => 'reject',
    :id => @rcr.number %></p>
    Show template trace
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.0.0/lib/active_record/base.rb:245:in
    `find'
    (erb):29:in `render_template'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_view/base.rb:191:in
    `render_template'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_view/base.rb:166:in
    `render_file'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/layout.rb:136:in
    `render_without_benchmark'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:22:in
    `render'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:22:in
    `measure'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:22:in
    `render'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/base.rb:564:in
    `perform_action_without_filters'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:236:in
    `perform_action_without_benchmark'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:30:in
    `perform_action_without_rescue'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:30:in
    `measure'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:30:in
    `perform_action_without_rescue'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:68:in
    `perform_action'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/base.rb:254:in
    `process'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-0.9.0/lib/action_controller/base.rb:235:in
    `process'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.8.0/lib/dispatcher.rb:35:in `dispatch'
    /dispatch.cgi:7
    Request
    Parameters: {"id"=>"198"}
    Show session dump
    --- {}
    Response
    Headers: {"cookie"=>[], "Cache-Control"=>"no-cache"}
    Show template parameters

    --
    --- vruz

    vruz, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Hi --

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, vruz wrote:

    > > I hope you enjoy the new RCRchive. Let me know if you have questions
    > > or spot problems.

    > Great work David, having everything in a database can make a lot of
    > tasks much more easier for both the authors and Matz.
    >
    > I had a problem though, I wanted to see the state of some comments I
    > posted to RCR 198.
    > This is the text dump of the error I'm getting, hope this helps:
    >
    > ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in Rcr#show
    > Showing /rcr/show.rhtml where line #29 raised Couldn't find User without an ID

    Sorry -- that was a hack, buggy as it turned out, to make it think I
    was Matz so I could test the matz-only stuff. I've removed it.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Oct 27, 2004
  10. On Tuesday 26 October 2004 22:23, David A. Black wrote:
    [snip]
    > I hope you enjoy the new RCRchive. Let me know if you have questions
    > or spot problems.

    Looks good.

    On the frontpage, It would be nice if one could see who wrote the RCR.

    argh.. I gotta go.. maybe I suggest some more.. when I get back.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Oct 27, 2004
  11. David A. Black

    Dave Burt Guest

    "David A. Black" <> wrote...
    > Dear Rubyists --
    >
    > I am very pleased to announce the opening of the new, rewritten
    > RCRchive, still at http://www.rcrchive.net. The new RCRchive
    > I am very aware of the non-validity of much of the XHTML code on the
    > site. At least some of this has to do with the inconsistency of tag
    > usage in comments. If anyone has ideas for how to normalize a site
    > like this automatically (including the existing data), I'll listen.
    > Meanwhile I would like to hear from anyone who has accessibility
    > issues with the site.
    ><snip>

    Hi, David,

    The main issue's closing tags. It shouldn't be hard to ensure all tags
    within a given comment are closed (or just append close tags as required).
    I'm just thinking building a tag stack with RegExps, I don't know of any
    extra cool XML-grokking fixer-upper, though such may exist.

    Here's one site-wide problem, in the footer.
    If this was in a comment and needed to be automatically fixed, </a> needs to
    be inserted before </p>I'm not sure about the legality of the . after the
    helps.Great work with Rails etc, I'm just starting a small project with it
    now.Cheers,Dave

    Dave Burt, Nov 1, 2004
  12. Hi --

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Dave Burt wrote:

    > "David A. Black" <> wrote...
    > > Dear Rubyists --
    > >
    > > I am very pleased to announce the opening of the new, rewritten
    > > RCRchive, still at http://www.rcrchive.net. The new RCRchive
    > > I am very aware of the non-validity of much of the XHTML code on the
    > > site. At least some of this has to do with the inconsistency of tag
    > > usage in comments. If anyone has ideas for how to normalize a site
    > > like this automatically (including the existing data), I'll listen.
    > > Meanwhile I would like to hear from anyone who has accessibility
    > > issues with the site.
    > ><snip>

    > Hi, David,
    >
    > The main issue's closing tags. It shouldn't be hard to ensure all tags
    > within a given comment are closed (or just append close tags as required).
    > I'm just thinking building a tag stack with RegExps, I don't know of any
    > extra cool XML-grokking fixer-upper, though such may exist.
    >
    > Here's one site-wide problem, in the footer.
    > If this was in a comment and needed to be automatically fixed, </a> needs to
    > be inserted before </p>I'm not sure about the legality of the . after the
    > helps.Great work with Rails etc, I'm just starting a small project with it
    > now.Cheers,Dave

    Thanks for spotting that one in the footer. Being a pendant, in this
    area, is good; the accessibility and interoperability issues are real.
    I agree about the closing tags, and I'll see what I can do.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Nov 1, 2004
  13. On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:10:30 +0900, David A. Black <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Dave Burt wrote:
    > > "David A. Black" <> wrote...
    > > The main issue's closing tags. It shouldn't be hard to ensure all tags
    > > within a given comment are closed (or just append close tags as required).
    > > I'm just thinking building a tag stack with RegExps, I don't know of any
    > > extra cool XML-grokking fixer-upper, though such may exist.

    I personally am aware of at least one situation where Ruwiki doesn't
    produce valid XHTML, and I am trying to fix it (preferably before a
    0.9.0 release, but that window is closing, I promise), but it is
    proving to be somewhat intractable to Regexp massaging.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Nov 1, 2004
  14. David A. Black

    James Britt Guest

    Dave Burt wrote:
    > "David A. Black" <> wrote...
    >
    >>Dear Rubyists --
    >>
    >>I am very pleased to announce the opening of the new, rewritten
    >>RCRchive, still at http://www.rcrchive.net. The new RCRchive
    >>I am very aware of the non-validity of much of the XHTML code on the
    >>site. At least some of this has to do with the inconsistency of tag
    >>usage in comments. If anyone has ideas for how to normalize a site
    >>like this automatically (including the existing data), I'll listen.
    >>Meanwhile I would like to hear from anyone who has accessibility
    >>issues with the site.
    >><snip>

    > Hi, David,
    >
    > The main issue's closing tags. It shouldn't be hard to ensure all tags
    > within a given comment are closed (or just append close tags as required).
    > I'm just thinking building a tag stack with RegExps, I don't know of any
    > extra cool XML-grokking fixer-upper, though such may exist.
    >
    > Here's one site-wide problem, in the footer.
    > If this was in a comment and needed to be automatically fixed, </a> needs to
    > be inserted before </p>I'm not sure about the legality of the . after the
    > helps.Great work with Rails etc, I'm just starting a small project with it
    > now.Cheers,Dave

    Some comments:
    Why not only allow Textile, rather than ruwiki markup? Or disallow
    raw HTML, whatever the format?

    The RCR pages have this link
    http://rubyforge.org/ruwiki
    as a reference for ruwiki format, but I get a PAGE NOT FOUND page on
    rubyforge.org

    James

    James Britt, Nov 1, 2004