[ANN] nfc 2.0.0 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Aaron Patterson, Aug 8, 2009.

  1. nfc version 2.0.0 has been released!

    * <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org>

    NFC is a ruby wrapper for the Near Field Communication library. The Near
    Field Communication library works with many USB RFID readers, so this gem
    lets you read RFID tags.

    Changes:

    ### 2.0.0 / 2009-08-07

    * 2 major enhancements

    * Switched from FFI to a C backend
    * Now depends on libnfc 1.2.x

    ## FEATURES/PROBLEMS:

    * Only supports ISO1443A (MIFARE) tags right now.

    ## SYNOPSIS:

    require 'nfc'

    # Read your tag and print the info.
    p NFC.instance.find

    # NFC#find will return immidiately, which means you should have a tag
    # sitting on the reader when running it. If you'd like it to block until
    # it detects a tag, give find a block like so:

    NFC.instance.find do |tag|
    p tag
    end

    # You can even run in an infinite loop if you'd like to continually find
    # tags:

    loop do
    NFC.instance.find do |tag|
    p tag
    end
    end

    ## REQUIREMENTS:

    * A USB RFID reader. I'm using the touchatag[http://touchatag.com].
    * libnfc

    ## INSTALL:

    First install libnfc[http://libnfc.org/]
    I installed libnfc like this:

    $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    $ make && make install

    The install the gem:

    $ sudo gem install nfc

    NOTE!!!! The nfc gem requires libnfc version 1.2.0 or greater!

    --
    Aaron Patterson
    http://tenderlovemaking.com/

    Aaron Patterson, Aug 8, 2009

  2. On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 02:26:20PM +0900, Aaron Patterson wrote:
    > nfc version 2.0.0 has been released!
    >
    > * <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org>
    >
    > NFC is a ruby wrapper for the Near Field Communication library. The Near
    > Field Communication library works with many USB RFID readers, so this gem
    > lets you read RFID tags.

    I made a video of me using the RFID reader along with some sample code:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronp/3804698617/
    http://gist.github.com/164896

    Go innernet! This is truly the future (minus the jetpacks etc).

    --
    Aaron Patterson
    http://tenderlovemaking.com/

    Aaron Patterson, Aug 9, 2009