[ANN] Nitro 0.6.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by George Moschovitis, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Hello everyone,

    a new version of Nitro was just released.

    Homepage: http://www.navel.gr/nitro
    Download: http://www.rubyforge.com/projects/nitro

    This is considered a preview release, to keep developers investigating
    nitro synced with the latest changes. A standalone version of Og is
    also released.

    here are the release notes:

    This is a preview release, the api for the new features is not
    finalized. This early release gives other developers to offer
    suggestions
    on the final form of those features.

    Most notable additions:

    * Og many_to_many relations with auto generation of the join table.
    * Og has_one relation.
    * PHP-style nested output buffering.
    * Rails-style Filters.
    * autoreload services.
    * complile time evaluation of ruby code in templates.
    * improved pager ui.
    * initial version of FormBuilder.
    * initial version of new_app wizard.
    * Improved Blog example.

    and... the nitro logo :)

    some words about Nitro:

    Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing
    professional Web Applications using the Ruby language.
    Nitro aims to provide a robust infrastructure for scalable
    web applications that can be distributed over a server cluster.
    However, Nitro can also power simple web applications for
    deployment on intranets or even personal computers.
    Nitro integrates the powerful Og Object-Relational mapping
    library.

    Suggestions, ideas, bug reports are welcome!
    have fun,
    George Moschovitis

    George Moschovitis, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Cool to see Nitro continue to evolve. I'm especially interested in testing Og (as soon as time permits)
    as I have the impression it is more postgresql-friendly than ActiveRecord.

    I took a quick look to the homepage and the docs, but both are several versions behind. Is there another online
    place to look for the docs?

    Thanks

    Raph

    Raphael Bauduin, Dec 10, 2004

  3. George Moschovitis, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Raphael Bauduin wrote:

    > Cool to see Nitro continue to evolve. I'm especially interested in
    > testing Og (as soon as time permits)
    > as I have the impression it is more postgresql-friendly than ActiveRecord.

    Me too! BTW, postgres-pr should now work together with Og. At least it
    did, as I tried it with Og 0.5.0.

    Regards,

    Michael

    Michael Neumann, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Hello,

    > as I have the impression it is more postgresql-friendly than

    ActiveRecord.

    this is correct, future versions will use psql-specific features like
    object-oriented tables, and prepared statememts/stored procedures.

    > I took a quick look to the homepage and the docs, but both are

    several
    > versions behind. Is there another online place to look for the docs?

    You are correct again. I am working on a brand new Nitro mini site
    (with wiki, fora, etc) that will be always up to date. In the meantime
    you can get the latest 'documentation' from the actual distribution.
    regards,
    George Moschovitis.

    George Moschovitis, Dec 10, 2004
  6. Hello Michael,

    > BTW, postgres-pr should now work together with Og. At least it
    > did, as I tried it with Og 0.5.0.

    I promise it will be 'officially' supported in the next version :)

    Btw I am exteremely interested in your pure Ruby XSLT implementation.
    I would like to make Nitro more windows friendly in the next release,
    and the usage of libxslt is problematic. As nitro uses XSLT ONLY in
    pre-transforming templates at compile time a pure ruby implementation
    will work just fine. Anw, I just downloaded your old release to see if
    it useful. Do you plan to continue developing this library?
    best regards,
    George

    George Moschovitis, Dec 10, 2004
  7. George Moschovitis wrote:
    > Hello Michael,
    >

    >>BTW, postgres-pr should now work together with Og. At least it
    >>did, as I tried it with Og 0.5.0.

    > I promise it will be 'officially' supported in the next version :)

    Great!

    > Btw I am exteremely interested in your pure Ruby XSLT implementation.
    > I would like to make Nitro more windows friendly in the next release,
    > and the usage of libxslt is problematic. As nitro uses XSLT ONLY in
    > pre-transforming templates at compile time a pure ruby implementation
    > will work just fine. Anw, I just downloaded your old release to see if
    > it useful. Do you plan to continue developing this library?

    Nope, I'm sorry. It was a two-day hack... so if you have some free days,
    you could rewrite it using REXML ;-)

    Regards,

    Michael

    Michael Neumann, Dec 10, 2004
  8. George  Moschovitis

    Scott Barron Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:52:27 +0900, Raphael Bauduin
    <> wrote:

    > Cool to see Nitro continue to evolve. I'm especially interested in testing Og (as soon as time permits)
    > as I have the impression it is more postgresql-friendly than ActiveRecord.

    Out of curiosity (and unfamiliarity with Og), in what ways do youu
    consider AR to be unfriendly to postgresql? As someone who uses Pg
    with Rails, and has been through the Pg adapter for AR once or twice,
    I'd like to hear your thoughts about it acting in less than amicable
    manner. Is there something Og does Pg-wise that AR cannot? If there
    are real bugs, they can be sorted out, if they're feature requests
    then a case can be made to DHH (who has always been very receptive to
    even my griping ;). At any rate, I'll go check out Og and see what
    that buzz is all about.

    Thanks
    -Scott

    Scott Barron, Dec 10, 2004
  9. > Out of curiosity (and unfamiliarity with Og), in what ways do youu
    > consider AR to be unfriendly to postgresql? As someone who uses Pg
    > with Rails, and has been through the Pg adapter for AR once or twice,
    > I'd like to hear your thoughts about it acting in less than amicable
    > manner. Is there something Og does Pg-wise that AR cannot? If there
    > are real bugs, they can be sorted out, if they're feature requests
    > then a case can be made to DHH (who has always been very receptive to
    > even my griping ;). At any rate, I'll go check out Og and see what
    > that buzz is all about.

    Nope, AR works just fine with Pg. From what I 've heard DHH develops
    primarily on Mysql, here at Navel we primarily use Pg. Because we love
    Pg we plan to introduce some Pg-specific features in the near future though.

    AR is a GREAT product, Og 'reuses' MANY of the ideas first introduced
    in AR. There is a difference in the approach: AR maps the database
    schema to (some form of) Ruby objects, Og generates the Database schema
    that maps to standard Ruby objects. Give it a try :)

    -g.

    --
    www.navel.gr | tel: +30 2106898050 | fax: +30 2106898437

    web appliction engine: http://www.navel.gr/nitro
    have fun: http://www.joy.gr

    George Moschovitis, Dec 10, 2004
  10. Scott Barron wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:52:27 +0900, Raphael Bauduin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Cool to see Nitro continue to evolve. I'm especially interested in testing Og (as soon as time permits)
    >>as I have the impression it is more postgresql-friendly than ActiveRecord.
    >>

    > Out of curiosity (and unfamiliarity with Og), in what ways do youu
    > consider AR to be unfriendly to postgresql? As someone who uses Pg
    > with Rails, and has been through the Pg adapter for AR once or twice,
    > I'd like to hear your thoughts about it acting in less than amicable
    > manner. Is there something Og does Pg-wise that AR cannot? If there
    > are real bugs, they can be sorted out, if they're feature requests
    > then a case can be made to DHH (who has always been very receptive to
    > even my griping ;). At any rate, I'll go check out Og and see what
    > that buzz is all about.

    Quote from a message of David to c.l.r
    (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/af82a23efd10a365):

    Active Record is a MySQL-driven ORM mapper. It now has adapters for
    PostgreSQL, SQLite, and latest SQL Server, but they all derive from the
    principles of the original MySQL driver. So in the eyes of Active
    Record, databases that deviate from the MySQL-way are the ones that are
    "wrong" and special programming is needed in their adapters to emulate
    MySQL behavior.

    I totally respect that opinion, though I disagree, expecially on
    considering mysql has the "right" behaviour ;-)

    I extensively use some postgresql features, and if Og developers are
    focusing on Postgresql, it reasonably feels the better choice for me.
    For example, David doesn't like putting behaviour in the DB because he
    considers the database as being used only by Rails. (from a discussion
    we had on IRC).
    This is not my situation (quite the opposite), and I need triggers eg.
    The possibility exists my choices, even if right in my situation, would
    be considered bad considered from AR's mysql minded point of view.

    Some of the conventions also don't seem to match my setup, which is an
    existing web app I would rewrite with Rails.

    This doesn't mean I wouldn't use AR simpler setup. In that case I just
    would have some more code to avoid the primary key naming convention...

    Anyway, that's the reason I'm really interested in testing Og ;-)

    Raph

    Bauduin Raphael, Dec 10, 2004
  11. George  Moschovitis

    Thomas Quas Guest

    That's great! I'm currently evaluating Og, the OR mapper, for my
    project, and have to say, it's the most elegant solution to the problem
    I have seen till today (coming a long way from Hibernate, Toplink,
    ActiveRecord and a few others).

    I just finished work on a 'mock backend' for Og, so that we can unit
    test busines logic without database connection. If George accepts the
    code, it should be in the upcoming release.

    Best regards,

    -tom

    Thomas Quas, Dec 12, 2004
  12. > I just finished work on a 'mock backend' for Og, so that we can unit
    > test busines logic without database connection. If George accepts the
    > code, it should be in the upcoming release.

    I 'll gladly review your patch :-D

    regards,
    George

    George Moschovitis, Dec 13, 2004