[ANN] Nitro Web Engine 0.2.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by George Moschovitis, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Hello everyone,

    a new version of Nitro is available. Here is the release info:

    == Version 0.2.0 was released on 25/10/2004.

    Greatly improved RDoc documentation. Cleaned up many source files, and
    improved the directory structure to be more compatible with other Ruby
    projects. Introduced a test suite. Important bug fixes in NDB. Tiny
    example no longer requires apache so should run out of the box.

    Some info about the project:

    = Nitro

    Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing professional
    Web Applications using the Ruby language. Nitro aims to provide a
    robust infrastructure for scalable web applications that can be
    distributed over a server cluster. However, Nitro can also power simple
    web applications for deployment on intranets or even personal
    computers.

    == Features

    * XML server pages (.sx)
    * Shaders, XSLT templates
    * Multi phase evaluation (Experimental)
    * Fragment Synthesis
    * Object-Relational Mapping (integrates NDB)
    * Distributed State
    * Synchronous Server
    * Request Filters
    * Hierarchical Caching
    * Support for 'nice' urls (Experimental)
    * Advanced debuging features
    * Parts
    * UI Components
    * Path overloading
    * Localization

    == Download

    The latest version of Nitro can be found at

    * http://www.navel.gr/nitro

    Documentation for Nitro can be found at

    * http://www.navel.gr/nitro/doc

    == Support

    For any questions regarding Nitro, feel free to ask on the ruby-talk
    mailing list (which is mirrored to comp.lang.ruby) or contact
    mailto:.
    George Moschovitis, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Hello,

    >>a new version of Nitro is available. Here is the release info:

    > I really like the ndb part; it would be great to roll some of that into
    > Rails' Active Record.

    I hope you tried the new ndb example. I will try to do the oposite, roll
    some cool features of Active Record into NDB. Stay tuned, a greatly
    improved version is coming soon. Btw new versions of NDB will be
    integrated with Nitro. After the API gets stabilized a new standalone
    version will be introduced.

    > For many other features of Nitro it seems Rails offers pretty good coverage
    > e.g. Rails' Builder approach vs. Nitro's xml+amrita template style.

    Well of course Rails introduced many good ideas but there are some
    things I dont like: for example the way Rail forces the application
    design to the developer. Nitro has a different focus. Nitro aims to
    be a framework for SCALABLE applications with many concurrent users
    online. Wherever possible we will try to optimize the rendering pipeline
    as much as posible and alway select the scalable way to implement
    features. We 'll also try to give the developer choice. However many
    features of Rails, like scaffolding and controllers will be implemented
    soon.

    Btw the Builder aproach is something like Amrita and has nothing
    to do with Nitro .sx pages. Nitro .sx pages are something like php or
    jsp but FULLY xml compliant so you can use tools like xmlint to
    automatically validate files, use XSLT to pretansform them, it is
    compatible with syntax highliting in editors etc. This is something you
    cannot do with Erb pages used in Rails. Moreove, .sx pages are quite
    flexible and can be used like Amrita templates. I 'll include an example
    in a future version.

    Btw Nitro, just like Rails is designed to be used in Real World,
    practical applications. This is no academic research project, that
    looks nice with examples. In fact this is a third generation of the
    engine used to develop several high profile community sites in
    Greece with tens of thousands of registered users. The current version
    was redesigned from scratch and the API may change a lot, so that
    explains the low version number.

    have fun,
    George Moschovitis

    --
    www.navel.gr | tel: +30 2106898050 | fax: +30 2106898437

    web appliction engine: http://www.navel.gr/nitro
    have fun: http://www.joy.gr
    George Moschovitis, Oct 26, 2004

  3. >>things I dont like: for example the way Rail forces the application
    >>design to the developer.

    > How do you mean?

    for example forcing you to use model-view-controller.
    or using the inflector to give names to variables.
    or automatically populating your objects with methods...

    >>Nitro has a different focus. Nitro aims to
    >>be a framework for SCALABLE applications with many concurrent users
    >>online. Wherever possible we will try to optimize the rendering pipeline
    >>as much as posible and alway select the scalable way to implement
    >>features.

    > Do you mean Nitro prefers a pre-compile + cache approach over fully run-time
    > manipulation?

    have a look here:
    http://atlas.navel.gr:2500/nitro/show/scalable

    > Or RexML on the .sx page, to continue working in Ruby?

    saddly there is no ruby-only XSLT solution at the moment.

    >>it is
    >>compatible with syntax highliting in editors etc.

    > Could I create a .sx page in Dreamweaver?

    why not it is a 100% valid .xhtml page
    in fact I think about changing the extension from .sx
    to .xhml in a future version. Any opinions on this?

    have fun,
    George

    George Moschovitis, Oct 27, 2004