[ANN] noe 1.0.0 Released!

Bernard Lambeau

noe version 1.0.0 has been released !

* <*http://github.com/blambeau/n <http://github.com/blambeau/quickl>oe*>
* <https://rubygems.org/gems/n <https://rubygems.org/gems/quickl>oe>

Noe helps development by providing support for project templates and
instantiation.
Differences with similar projects you may already know:

* Noe is agnostic: it does not make any assumption about project semantics
* Noe does not restrict itself to generation of ruby projects
* Noe is not required at runtime: once your project is generated you're done
* I don't like magic

Installation:

gem install noe

Changes:

# 1.0.0 / 2011-01-10

* Enhancements

* Birthday!

Eric Hodel

noe version 1.0.0 has been released !
=20
* <*http://github.com/blambeau/n =
* <https://rubygems.org/gems/n <https://rubygems.org/gems/quickl>oe>
=20
Noe helps development by providing support for project templates and
instantiation.
Differences with similar projects you may already know:
=20
* Noe is agnostic: it does not make any assumption about project = semantics
* Noe does not restrict itself to generation of ruby projects
* Noe is not required at runtime: once your project is generated =
you're done

There's a big problem with this.

If the rake task generators you use incompatibly change you need to =
update every project you've generated with noe by hand.

By using a library you do not have this problem, you simply upgrade the =
library and you're done.

I have well over fifty ruby projects. While I know that's abnormal, =
having to manually update even 10 projects was annoying.

PS: Rake::GemPackageTask is deprecated in favor of Gem::packageTask.=

Bernard Lambeau

Ryan,

To be honest, I'm glad to hear you about this! The fact is that everytime I
tried to switch one of my ruby projects to hoe, it simply failed for some
reason. Do you have some place where hoe's assumptions are clearly
documented (expected pattern for spec/test files, to take only one example)
?? Neither did I find a documentation for advanced hoe usage (are we
required to strictly follow your own conventions ?). Maybe I didn't spend
enough time googling...

Sometimes, creating my own tools is easier than trying to reuse existing
ones (I just spent a few hours on noe, which I also use for non-ruby
projects). I'm sure that you know what I mean!

Anyway, I'll be happy to use hoe when it will fit my own conventions ;-)

Bernard Lambeau

Different needs, different tools. What about non-ruby projects?

Thanks for reporting the deprecated usage of GemPackageTask!

redstun

From the name it looks noe links to hoe, what about bones?
Isn't noe similar to bones? what's the motivation and difference?

Bernard Lambeau

Hi!

I've completely rewritten Noe's
README<https://github.com/blambeau/noe/blob/master/README.md>to better
explain the motivation and differences with other projects like
hoe and bones. In a few words:

* Noe is not dedicated to ruby projects but comes with a ruby skeleton
(somewhat basic so far)
* Noe takes a generative approach unlike those projects (Noe is not a
dependency of generated artifacts)

My personal motivation is actually twofold:

* Being able to maintain different skeletons for different tasks (the
skeleton structure for a ruby library and the one of a scientific paper
written in latex is not similar ;-). [see Noe]

* Getting rid of my own frustration of not being able to configure rake
tasks the way I want, therefore investigating all options of standard rake
tasks and being able to share what I find -- [see Noe's default ruby
skeleton]

I hope it better explains my goals !